Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Catering for Cocktail Hour Etiquette

Hi everyone,

Quick etiquette question. My fiance and I are planning a wedding for next summer. We are having a local restaurant cater the meal for the reception (the reception is not at the restaurant). We are interested in having a local bakery create appetizers for our cocktail hour (the appetizers are things that the restaurant does not make).

Is it considered rude to have a caterer for the meal and a separate source for the appetizers? Our caterer has been great and we don't want to make her mad. 

Re: Catering for Cocktail Hour Etiquette

• It's primarily because they're a small local restaurant. We're doing breakfast for dinner, and we want to serve some local baked goods for our appetizers. Thanks for the comment! I just wasn't sure if caterers cared about having other food at the event (they wouldn't be serving it, though).

Thanks!
  • Hi everyone,

Quick etiquette question. My fiance and I are planning a wedding for next summer. We are having a local restaurant cater the meal for the reception (the reception is not at the restaurant). We are interested in having a local bakery create appetizers for our cocktail hour (the appetizers are things that the restaurant does not make).

Is it considered rude to have a caterer for the meal and a separate source for the appetizers? Our caterer has been great and we don't want to make her mad. 
    No. As someone who works for a caterer on the side, Ive worked events before where two or even three different caterers provided the food for different parts of the event. 
  • Our contract doesn't specify, but I will double check with our catering representative. Thank you!
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Agree- check your contract. If that is clear, go for it! The meal caterer should not be upset if they do not provide the service you want.
  • This happens all the time at weddings, for late night food trucks, crepes, oyster guys, even just the basic wedding cake!

I'm sure they won't be offended, it's your wedding day and they will expect you to be very selective, just drop them a quick email.  Xxx
  • edited November 2016

Vendor alert @KnotHolly

Post edited by mod to remove quoted vendor post.