Wedding Reception Forum

Menus?

Not sure where to post this... so I will start here!

The wedding coordinator from our venue suggested that we have menus and programs at our wedding.

I wasn't going to have menu's because the meal is plated and you make your selection (beef/chicken/veg) when you RSVP. I felt like a menu would be a little confusing. The coordinator said that it is nice to show guests what they will be eating because they only select beef, chicken, or veg and having a menu shows them that their meal has sides. I've never been to a wedding with menu so I'm not sure about them...

Curious what you all think...

Also, programs...is that something that is worth it? I feel like it is nice...but...meh..

Re: Menus?

• edited June 2016
    Can't speak to the menu idea as we're having a buffet, but I will say if you do have programs, keep them simple. I designed our program in Microsoft Publisher, and it rapidly became an eight-page booklet. Thanks to @kylexo, I condensed it into a double-sided fan.
  • I like programs and menus. But as an extra if you can afford it. For the latest wedding I helped plan, they chose to DIY programs and menus, and they were adorable and talked about by many of the guests...

...however, they also aren't necessary and are simply a nice extra. You should decide if it's something you can afford/want to put money towards. Certainly no money should come out of anywhere else to pay for menus and programs.

• edited June 2016
    I would really appreciate the menu. You could even have it posted on a posterboard sign or a chalkboard or something if you don't want to print anything out for each individual person. I like knowing what I'm eating and it will help anyone who may have food sensitivities. 
    Same to the above for the programs. Maybe just have a sign near the guest book table or something with any relevant information. 
  • I personally think menus are a total waste of money. Yes they look pretty but they get thrown away immediately (almost). Programs are a little different. If you are having a ceremony that has elements a lot of your guests are unfamiliar with, it might be helpful to have a program. There than that, programs are unnecessary and can be cut.
  • I think menus after you already have to pick your entree are kind of silly.  I do really like programs though!
  • Thanks all!

I'm so on the fence with the menus. On one hand I would really like to know what I'm eating on the other hand I don't want anyone confused and think they have to order and then feel disappointed. I feel like they get thrown away, but I would just DIY them so it wouldn't feel like a huge waste of money.

I do think I will do programs because a lot of FI's family doesn't know my family very well and by having my sisters in the bridal party and having my Mom and Grandpa's names on the program maybe his family will feel a little more comfortable approaching them!
  • dyerwise said:
    Thanks all!

I'm so on the fence with the menus. On one hand I would really like to know what I'm eating on the other hand I don't want anyone confused and think they have to order and then feel disappointed. I feel like they get thrown away, but I would just DIY them so it wouldn't feel like a huge waste of money.

I do think I will do programs because a lot of FI's family doesn't know my family very well and by having my sisters in the bridal party and having my Mom and Grandpa's names on the program maybe his family will feel a little more comfortable approaching them!
    If throwing away is a concern, definitely take that into consideration. I tend to think of them more like table decor, or other things that are really only for the day of the wedding. No one is going to take a menu with them, so, yes, at the end of the night they will get thrown away.

• Don't know how many people you are expecting at your reception. DD had a little over 150 at hers. She bought a template through Etsy for a menu, and I don't know how much that cost. After DD used the template to fill in the info, I had them printed at Staples. The printing cost about $100 including the fee to have them cut. That might help you decide if it is worth it or not.
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

I don't see a point in a menu with a plated meal since I've already made my protein selection and there aren't any other choices to be made. While it might be nice to know there will be salad and rolls followed by the main entrée it doesn't really change anything for me unless there is a table of apps I can hit up before hand.

Programs we didn't plan to do but then about a week before decided on them. We did the basic tri-fold template from Wilton at Michaels (or something like that). They were easy and inexpensive. I figure if nothing else it gives people something to read while they wait for the ceremony. But I wouldn't spend a lot of time or effort on them because they get left behind/thrown away

• Can't the server taking the order just tell the table what comes with each protein? Like in a restaurant a server doesn't just say we have steak as a special they say "we have center cut, grass fed beef with a bed of field greens and a side of smashed potatoes". Then everyone will know what is being served and you don't waste money on a menu. 
  • I really like menus. I really want to know what I'm eating, not just what kind of meat. And it gives people with potential food issues an opportunity to say something before a plate of something they can't eat is plopped down in front of them. Plus, I just think it makes a nice touch, even if not practical. From a practical standpoint, I would put the menu on your website so that people have the information when they make their RSVP selection.

Programs are meh to me. If you want them, great. But if I don't know someone, I'm not going to walk up to them because they were identified in the program. It's more of a keepsake for the couple and their family. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards