Hashtag Help

Need a fun hashtag! nothing too cheesy

edited June 2016 in Hashtag Help
never mind

Re: Need a fun hashtag! nothing too cheesy

• Once again, I have found you both on FB in like 2 seconds. Why does Internet safety go out the window when looking for cute hashtags?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieCake said:
    Once again, I have found you both on FB in like 2 seconds. Why does Internet safety go out the window when looking for cute hashtags?
    I'm not sure I understand why so so so much personal information is being shared these days. Why do I need to know what your astonishingly generic hobbies are when the information you provide about where you live is so specific? Disparity. Not to mention wholly irrelevant to creating a hashtag.

#HangingOutWithFriendsWhoEatPizzaInCityTheWedding2016

I just don't understand. Hashtags are not more important than internet safety.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• edited June 2016
    **Removed for TOU violation**
  • edited June 2016

No one's being a bitch.  They're actually doing you a favor by reminding you not to overshare your information on a public forum.  It's becoming a weekly, if not more frequent thing here.

For what it's worth, I like @oliveoilsmom's suggestion.

• Nobody's being a bitch. We're just trying to tell you that you gave us your name and your groom's name, which means you're no longer an anonymous poster on the interwebz, and that opens you up to potential harm.  We say the same thing to people who use their whole names as usernames. 

You are the second person in 2 days who has given out this personal info while trying to come up with some clever hashtag play on words of your names. And there have been many others before you. As this trend becomes more prominent, it happens more and more, and it's simply not safe. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2016
    Instead of thanking @oliveoilsmom for that awesome suggestion, or stopping to think about the advice that followed, you chose to call someone else names before making the smart move and deleting your personal information.

The point is internet stranger danger. You don't go into a coffee shop in an unfamiliar city and hand the nice man in front of you in line your credit card and SSN, do you? In the digital age, handing over that much PII amounts to much the same thing.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• #CharliewinsMVP

This is cute!
  • I just got here, I didn't see what was said and then censored, and I certainly don't endorse name calling or generally being a jerk to people who are trying to help.

BUT...

I don't get the obsession with being super-duper-anonymous-oh-my-god-what-if-someone-finds-out-your-name.  Like, if someone wants to know my name I will tell them (and I am literally the only one person in the world with that full name--no "hiding" there!)  It's a name, not a mystical talisman of power.  I don't say anything here that can't be attached to my name.  My philosophy has always been  that if you wouldn't your words published on the front page of the New York Times for all to read, that is a very strong indication that you should not say those words.  

It would be one thing if people here were using their full names attached to posts like, "So I was screwing my brother's wife on a pile of money I embezzled from work and I wound up with crabs.  Do you think I should continue anonymously mailing the lice in bags of white powder to top world politicians?"  Then maybe "...umm, you do realize this comes up now when you google your name..." would be warranted.  But what harm is there in having some internet randos know that Wilhelmina Dawkins needs some help thinking of a hashtag?
  • edited July 2016

ETA: I'm having trouble quoting @SaintPaulGal, so I'm doing it manually: "But what harm is there in having some internet randos know that Wilhelmina Dawkins needs some help thinking of a hashtag?"

With your full name, I can find your public wedding website, which tells me when you'll be at your wedding and reception [and therefore when you won't be home]. If you own a home, that information is in public records, which I can find with your full name. So if I want to break into your house at a time when you won't be home, I have the information I need to from your full name.

Break-ins during funerals are surprisingly common because thieves see the information in the obituaries and take advantage of the fact that everyone in the family will be gone because they'll be attending the funeral.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse

• ETA: I'm having trouble quoting @SaintPaulGal, so I'm doing it manually: "But what harm is there in having some internet randos know that Wilhelmina Dawkins needs some help thinking of a hashtag?"

With your full name, I can find your public wedding website, which tells me when you'll be at your wedding and reception [and therefore when you won't be home]. If you own a home, that information is in public records, which I can find with your full name. So if I want to break into your house at a time when you won't be home, I have the information I need to from your full name.

Break-ins during funerals are surprisingly common because thieves see the information in the obituaries and take advantage of the fact that everyone in the family will be gone because they'll be attending the funeral.
    I really hope we don't have a community like that. And honestly that could happen without posting on a forum. If your website isn't password protected then anyone could google your name and find out the time and date of your wedding. I agree with you about interneting safely, but l think there are a lot of ways for bad things to happen outside of someone knowing my real name. (Hint, it's not actually Charlotte, that is my cat). 

If I recall correctly the few times someone has "outed" someone based on a user name (gone to the wedding website, posted about details the couple never shared on the forum but had on the website) it was met with pretty fast, and harsh criticism. 
  • There's always the possibility that people not active in the TK community could use the info for nefarious purposes. If I go and do bad things to OP, and I boast about it, yeah, I risk being banned and bitched out here. Obviously I'm not going to do that because I'm not a dangerous person and people know me here.  But Silent Susan, who isn't "one of us" takes the info and does God knows what with it. It's just smart to be cautious. Internet safety is extremely important in our society. Not letting people know your first and last names here is just a simple way to help protect yourself. 

• ETA: I'm having trouble quoting @SaintPaulGal, so I'm doing it manually: "But what harm is there in having some internet randos know that Wilhelmina Dawkins needs some help thinking of a hashtag?"

I really hope we don't have a community like that. And honestly that could happen without posting on a forum. If your website isn't password protected then anyone could google your name and find out the time and date of your wedding. I agree with you about interneting safely, but l think there are a lot of ways for bad things to happen outside of someone knowing my real name. (Hint, it's not actually Charlotte, that is my cat). 

If I recall correctly the few times someone has "outed" someone based on a user name (gone to the wedding website, posted about details the couple never shared on the forum but had on the website) it was met with pretty fast, and harsh criticism. 
    The problem isn't necessarily with the known users, it's the UNKNOWN (aka: lurkers) that can be a problem.  Why make it easier for them?  

For example, someone can break into my car if they really want.  However, leaving the windows down and/or not locking it makes it way easier for people to steal things out of my car with little to no effort.          

Providing full names and dates just makes it easier for the bad guys to victimize you.

FWIW - A few years back someone was able to use personal information to find out someone's reception place and they were successful in canceling the victim's reception.    I'm pretty sure @AddieCake and a few others were around back then.    It's out of experience we bring up such things, not to be assholes. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Didn't someone fairly recently write on the wall of a couples website too?

If someone doesn't care if their business is out there, that's fine too, but I think a lot of the hashtag help posts come from newbs who may not realize how public this forum is. A reminder never hurts. 
  • So if you are a baddie looking to do some home invasion robbery are you going to:
    -Log on to an international website where people talk about weddings
    -Wait for someone to let slip some moderately identifying information
    -Sleuth around online to find out exactly who that person is
    -Hope that person has wedding website
    -Hope that website is public
    -Hope that person lives at a point on the globe that happens to be near the perpetrator
    -Wait for the day of the wedding, which may be 2 weeks or 2 years from now
    -Hope that person doesn't have a roommate or a pet sitter or some such
    -Hope that person has valuable belongings
    -Break into the home and steal the person's belongings

Or:
    -Go to an upper middle class neighborhood
    -Locate a house with no lights on after dark
    -Peek in the garage window to see if there are any cars at home

People online are no more dangerous than the people you meet on the street every day. Every single person who exists online also exists in the "real world."  In fact, "online" is one part of "the real world."  Nobody is going around saying that we should be using fake names and masks to hide our true identities as we walk around on a day to day basis, and I would argue that it is no more necessary to do so on here.
  • So if you are a baddie looking to do some home invasion robbery are you going to:
    -Hope that person lives at a point on the globe that happens to be near the perpetrator

Or:

People online are no more dangerous than the people you meet on the street every day. Every single person who exists online also exists in the "real world."  In fact, "online" is one part of "the real world."  Nobody is going around saying that we should be using fake names and masks to hide our true identities as we walk around on a day to day basis, and I would argue that it is no more necessary to do so on here.
    There are a lot of really internet savvy criminals out there.  Just look at all the hacking that's been done, and all the breaches of PII we've had over the last 2 years.  You can do just as much damage to an individual with just a name as you can with SSNs and fingerprints.  I've met some really brilliant computer coders and programmers over the years.  It probably isn't hard to write a code to troll for PII that's posted anywhere on the web, and I really wouldn't put it past someone to include a wedding forum.  

That may be my inner Fox Mulder coming out, but I really don't trust anyone.

--Philip Pullman

• lyndausvi said:

ETA: I'm having trouble quoting @SaintPaulGal, so I'm doing it manually: "But what harm is there in having some internet randos know that Wilhelmina Dawkins needs some help thinking of a hashtag?"

The problem isn't necessarily with the known users, it's the UNKNOWN (aka: lurkers) that can be a problem.  Why make it easier for them?  

For example, someone can break into my car if they really want.  However, leaving the windows down and/or not locking it makes it way easier for people to steal things out of my car with little to no effort.          

Providing full names and dates just makes it easier for the bad guys to victimize you.

FWIW - A few years back someone was able to use personal information to find out someone's reception place and they were successful in canceling the victim's reception.    I'm pretty sure @AddieCake and a few others were around back then.    It's out of experience we bring up such things, not to be assholes. 
    Wow that's super messed up, I had no idea. I really hope those people aren't around anymore. 
  • It has nothing to do with criminals breaking into your house and everything to do with ppl just being fucking assholes and doxxing you.

Do you know what doxxing is and how far some ppl take it?  Look into it and then come back and tell me if you've changed your cavalier attitude about online info.

You don't need to make it easy for online assholes to stalk and harass you for simply making them butthurt on an Internet forum.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This.

Someone doesn't have to log on here and "wait for someone to slip up" to find out potentially sensitive information.

If I had posted my full name, FH's full name, hometown, wedding venue, etc on here, anyone who felt like googling us would know when we'll be out of our house, and for how long. Also, I posted on the honeymoon board a few months ago about taking an 8 day cruise in October. You're welcome, burglars.

There are plenty of bad people out there. No reason to invite them in.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • drglitter said:

This.

Someone doesn't have to log on here and "wait for someone to slip up" to find out potentially sensitive information.

If I had posted my full name, FH's full name, hometown, wedding venue, etc on here, anyone who felt like googling us would know when we'll be out of our house, and for how long. Also, I posted on the honeymoon board a few months ago about taking an 8 day cruise in October. You're welcome, burglars.

There are plenty of bad people out there. No reason to invite them in.
    Not to mention, the whole point of a hashtag is to link together things shared with that hashtag.  Link your hashtag here and on your webpage and on a photo on your Facebook page (that lists your birthday) and the photo tags your parents and your moms FB name includes her maiden name and an identity thief will have plenty of information to start with.

Or:

That's like saying that the chances of getting pregnant the first time are X% so don't bother with contraception.

Why wouldn't you err on the side of caution?

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Everyone has different things that make them feel safe or unsafe, and that is perfectly valid.  If you feel safer as an anonymous voice online that is just fine.

I guess my point is just that I personally find it strange when people put a big, hard line between online activities and "real life," because the exact same people inhabit both spaces (minus a few who aren't online for whatever reason.) 

I say my name to no fewer than 5 strangers every day at work.  It's on my business cards.  It's on my voicemail.  It's published in the phone book.  It has been in the newspaper.  It was put out in a press release when I was hired.  I say it whenever I shake a new hand.  It is not a secret.  It's who I am.  

Over the years, many thousands of people have heard or seen my name.  If it was truly harmful to have other people know my name, I would be fucked.  If it was truly harmful for one's name be public, we would all be fucked because birth certificates are part of the public record.  

Not everyone is safe online.  If you are a famous person or a porn actress or a vocal proponent of a controversial issue, then perhaps it makes sense for you to be extra vigilant and make sure the weirdos don't put a target on your back.  But us "normals"?  I think it's more a case of paranoia than peril.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards