Budget Weddings Forum

Budget Low and Contests?

Hi all. Im new to the site. I got engaged on Saturday. As we start planning I'm realizing we don't have much money for our wedding and it makes it hard. I was wondering if anyone knew any contests for literally anything i could enter (and tips how to win!) or has any tips for me about how to plan with a low budget. We both work full time and are saving money now, but we also need to move after the wedding so its all so stressful. Thank you in advance for advice!

Alana

Re: Budget Low and Contests?

• edited June 2016
    I took a second job tutoring, and we took on a roommate who pays rent. I know neither may be an option for you, but that's what we're doing.

As for planning on a budget, think outside the hotel/banquet hall box. We're using a picnic pavilion owned by the city next to ours, and it cost all of $200. We're also doing a dry "cake and punch" reception (really, sandwiches, snacks, coffee, tea, cold drinks).
  • There are lots of ways to cut costs. It just depends what you're looking to do and what kind of wedding you're planning. Skip favors, no limo, skip videographer, use sheet cakes, don't do personalized napkins or champagne flutes, inexpensive places like Vistaprint for invitations, have it at a non meal time so you can have less food, have a dry wedding or limited bar, do brunch instead of dinner. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • The basic wedding is the couple, officiant and depending on where you live, witnesses. Everything else is extra. Lots of the extra items are lovely, but don't get caught up in the wedding industry 'must haves'.

I would figure out a budget first and then start talking about things that you would like to include beyond the basics. Decide how long it might take to save up the money and then start to plan.

Simple and small is a great way to go. Cake and punch or brunch weddings will be cheaper than evening weddings.

• I agree with PPs. I have no idea how people win contests!

I remember first getting engaged and wondering how anyone afforded it, but my DH and I decided on a longer engagement (22 months), came up with a reasonable amount we could save per month, and that became our budget. It was very manageable for us.

• Thank you all so much!!!
  • As well as what PP's said I would both decide what is the most popular important thing for you and your FI, for example FI's is photography and yours is a specific venue . Do some research into how much that costs in your area and make that your top priority, for everything else shop around, make things yourself, utilise sales. 
    Join Facebook groups as well, I always have people selling second hand things or things they bought for their wedding that they never used, good luck!
  • AddieCake said:
    There are lots of ways to cut costs. It just depends what you're looking to do and what kind of wedding you're planning. Skip favors, no limo, skip videographer, use sheet cakes, don't do personalized napkins or champagne flutes, inexpensive places like Vistaprint for invitations, have it at a non meal time so you can have less food, have a dry wedding or limited bar, do brunch instead of dinner. 
     I had my invitations custom created on Etsy for $25 which included invitation, RSVP card, and thank you cards. I went to a local print shop and paid $35 for printing. They came out to about the same as Vistaprint but are prettier than what I found there. 

I second finding a pretty park.
  • Thank you girls!!!! 
  • The tackiest weddings are the ones where the couple tries to have a deluxe wedding with a small budget.  Plan the wedding that you can afford.  A simple afternoon ceremony with a  cake and punch reception is traditional and perfectly acceptable.
    Planning anything where you expect others to give you money or "free" stuff for your wedding is not acceptable. 

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Here are tips

1. Limit your guest list
    2. Have ceremony & reception at same location, then you don't need to worry about transportation from one location to the other
    3. Limit the size of your bridal party, remember for every person you have in your bridal party you have to provide flowers, gift, food for them & guest for rehersal dinner
    4. Keep things simple, like invites, you don't need all the inserts, people just throw it away. You can have a very simple yet classy & rememberable wedding. What people really remember is how the food was & did they have fun
    5. Favors are nice, but not mandatory
    6. Limit photography time, skip having them come before you are ready & do all the items at reception you want photographed done early so they can leave early

• Agree with what all PP's said.  Think about getting married in the 'off season'.  Winter weddings can be beautiful and because halls/venues are not booked every weekend for years in advance, you can usually get a good rate.

I found a lot of good deals on decorations at the Dollar Store (vases) and ebay (table runners).  Our venue was a 1930's bath house on a lake that was turned into a park pavilion.  It didn't need a lot in terms of decorations...so maybe find a venue that is reasonably priced that is visually beautiful so you don't have to go over board with decorations. 

Anniversary
  • Thank you all for the tips! I have been so stressed out with this. Our family sizes are pretty large and we want a few friends so its tough....and we have to have the wedding in a specific area so my grandparents in their 90s can come even if just for a little bit because they can't travel at all and its causing issues because that area is generally expensive....so still hunting down a venue....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards