Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

How many is too many?! (photographers and videographers)

Hi All,

I'm working on the planning and I'm wondering if having 2 photographers and two videographers is too much (as it totals 4 people).

Should I do 2 and 1, totally three?

Anyone have any experience?

Thank you!
Angelica

Re: How many is too many?! (photographers and videographers)

• You mean two separate photographers? Or a photographer who has a second shooter? 

• We had 1 photographer and the videographer  brought an assistant so 3 people total for a small 40 person wedding. It wasn't too much, in fact having an assistant photographer would have been nice it just wasn't in our budget. Assuming they are professionals they are really good at not being in the way and getting the shots they need. 

However make sure they are actually working together not that you hired 2 separate photographers or 2 separate videographers. Most will have it in their contract that you can't hire anyone else.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2015
    I had a photog and their second shooter the whole day. I had one videographer the whole day and during the ceremony and key reception part, two additional shooters. All were pay off my packages. It wasn't too much. It was important to me to have multiple shooters for multiple angles.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• i meant 1 photographer, with two shooters!
  • So it sounds like hiring a photographer, with 2 shooters and a videographer (is that a word?) with 2 shooters is fine!

I just wasn't sure if it was going to be 'too many cooks in the kitchen'
  • So it sounds like hiring a photographer, with 2 shooters and a videographer (is that a word?) with 2 shooters is fine!

I just wasn't sure if it was going to be 'too many cooks in the kitchen'

Yes it's a word... Vid-e-og-rah-fer

That should be fine. Like I said, I had 5 total for the ceremony. If they are professionals with experience they will know how to work around and with one another.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• edited January 2016
    We worked with two seperate companies. One Photographer company BABB PHOTO (with two photographers) and a videographer (TIM) SPATZ FILM (with two photographers). However, after we met our videographer he offered to bring a 3rd videographer (at no extra charge) in order capture everything. We couldn't be happier and cant believe we almost only had a photographer for still images. I have only seen our highlights reel from my videographer. All 17 mins of them! So many more memories came to me after seeing the highlights reel and we cant wait to see the full version at a later date. Here is our video (if it is of an interest to anyone on the search for a videographer. 

They were wonderful and we barely noticed that they were there. Not once, did I feel any of them were in the way and we had 5 people in total recording every moment! All the best with your wedding. 
  • One thing to keep in mind is that the more people you have 'shooting' (video or stills) the more they will need to coordinate with each other. I've been to a few weddings where the number of shooters was quite distracting as they circled the couple to get the best photos. Good luck with your planning.
  • I think the number depends on the setting. My cousin had 5 photographers. All were a team from the same company. They took beautiful pictures, and got every angle possible. The church where the ceremony was was small, and it honestly felt like a zoo. When I was sitting in the pews watching  I could barely see the couple at times because they were so in their faces the whole time. However, once we got to the much bigger hall for the reception, they blended into the crowd. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards