Chit Chat

Last Minute Mishaps

2»

Re: Last Minute Mishaps

• @Knottie1466815565, these wolves would've done the same but not have been just so `~tacky~` to post about it. "The club soda did wonders!" //streetwalker blush//

It does makes for a fantastic story and your event person was fairly ballsy to suggest it. That is a person who is hell-devoted to making sure your day is fantastic.
    I can assure you I would not have done the same thing. I would have tried the club soda and water or a tide stick. I would have moved on. If it was really that bad I would have insisted the coordinator call the store owner and take down my credit card info and actually purchase the dress. 

Also, why come on a forum to insult all the people participating in it?
  • Yeah, I would have rolled with the punches.    Cause that is the type of person I am.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • edited July 2016
    I think there are some holes in the story here...Nobody damaged a borrowed dress.  No one stole anything.  There was no theft.  No one trespassed.  No one threw a fit an insisted in a wardrobe change.  Yes, we tried to get the stain out first.  I would have been completely fine going the entire reception with a stain on my dress.  It was a unique solution that just happened to work out.  I wasn't some random bride, I had been collaborating with these people for almost a year and we had a great relationship.  The bottom line is: I was ok with it, the wedding planner was ok with it, and the store was ok with it.  I cannot stress that to you enough.  You are all more than entitled to your opinion, everyone is different, but I do find it interesting that the people who work in the industry as professionals saw no issue.  
  • I think there are some holes in the story here...Nobody damaged a borrowed dress.  No one stole anything.  There was no theft.  No one trespassed.  No one threw a fit an insisted in a wardrobe change.  Yes, we tried to get the stain out first.  I would have been completely fine going the entire reception with a stain on my dress.  It was a unique solution that just happened to work out.  I wasn't some random bride, I had been collaborating with these people for almost a year and we had a great relationship.  The bottom line is: I was ok with it, the wedding planner was ok with it, and the store was ok with it.  I cannot stress that to you enough.  You are all more than entitled to your opinion, everyone is different, but I do find it interesting that the people who work in the industry as professionals saw no issue.  

No one said you damaged the borrowed dress, but what would have happened if you did?  That was said.

And yes, when you "borrow" something that is valued as high as a wedding dress, it can be considered theft.  And you did trespass because you did not have prior permission from the dress shop owner to enter her store.  It does not matter that the store was located in the same building as your venue.  If dress shop owner rents that space from the venue, she must be notified prior to any representative of the venue (the wedding planner) entering her rented space.  Same thing if you are  tenant and your landlord needs access to your apartment, he can't come in willy nilly whenever he wants.

I also think the dress shop owner was totally ok with it to your face, but pissed behind your back. 

• "Stealing from a store, damaging their merchandise, and then saying that everyone had a laugh over it makes you neither believable nor a quality person"- exact quote.

"And yes, when you "borrow" something that is valued as high as a wedding dress, it can be considered theft"- Can, but in this case it wasn't.

"And you did trespass because you did not have prior permission from the dress shop owner to enter her store"- Are you aware of previous agreements made between my wedding planner and the people who run the store?  The wedding planner had a KEY. A key that was provided by the store.  She entered it legally.  All parties agree on that, therefore it is not trespassing.  

• edited July 2016
    Look I'm all good with people stating their opinions...I'm tacky, the dress owner was probably pissed...those comments are fine with me because they are opinions.  But when people accuse me of being a bad person because I've stolen, trespassed, flat out lied, or changed dresses for the sake of pretty pictures, what you're doing is assuming the worst, then commenting as if it were a fact.  You are basing your opinions on false assumptions, and the reality is that NONE of these assumptions are true. Anyone can fill in the blanks and create a story of what might have happened but unless you were standing with me in that kitchen with a stained dress, laughing your ass off at the ridiculousness of it all- you DO NOT in fact know what happened or what kind of person I am.
  • If this thread were part of a conversation during a real life social gathering among a group of female acquaintances, this would be the point where I would say something like "how about those Red Sox?!" to try to change the subject because the tension is very uncomfortable and I understand where both sides are coming from.
    Word. How about that Tribe?
  • fyrchkfyrchk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment

I was supposed to have 2 hairstylists-one also being our MUA. The second hairstylist (who happened to be my stylist for years) no showed. He called the other stylist to tell her that he wasn't coming at 1pm. Wedding was at 4 with pics supposed to happen at 3. So the other stylist did 5 hair and 5 make-up and ROCKED IT. We just didn't get our pictures done and I wasn't willing to miss the party for pictures so we don't have a lot of the 'traditional' pics.

We got married June 4th and he still hasn't called me to say anything about missing the wedding. I'm supposed to have an appointment with him next weekend but I canceled. Going to start seeing the girl who showed up instead. (She was actually his apprentice.)

• I'm with Knottie#s here.  I think it's a cute and funny story.  It COULD have gone badly, IF she had harmed the dress and IF she subsequently refused to pay for it.  But that's not the case here, and it assumes a very negative view of the poster that frankly we would have no reason for.  I think it is a lot more reasonable to believe that if any damage had been done to the dress she would have covered the costs like a decent, reasonable, sane person.  You break it you buy it; you don't break it, no harm no foul.

It's also not as though this was a random bridal shop and they smashed the window with a brick to make off with a dress.  It sounds to me like the venue, the shop, and the planner are all affiliated entities.  
  • Congratulations @tigerlily6! Welcome to the old married hags club. Be ready for some spechul snowflake to feel sorry for your husband now. 
  • @charlotte989875, excited to be part of the club at last! :smiley:

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I've been thinking of you! Glad everything went as smoothly as possible. I admire your positive attitude.  :)
  • Congratulations @tigerlily6 ! Sounds like it all went amazingly well  :)

• Congratulations!

• congratulations!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congratulations!

I think the story about the dress was funny. Seems like the coordinator has personal ties with the store owner AND least we forget the dress was a display dress. A classic case of alls well that ends well. 
  • There was a huge storm on our wedding day and the lights flickered right when we were doing our first look, it was scary but the lights held out and the sky was lit up with beautiful colors so it made for some awesome pics! 
  • Whoops, late to the congrats game- yay @tigerlily6 !!
    Can't wait to see some AW pics you OMH you! 

• Congratulations @tigerlily6!!!

My "mishap" story has to do with my hair.  I have hair all the way down my back.  It is straight as a board and, even when I curl it, the curls fall out within an hour because of its own weight.

Even though I moved halfway across the country, I decided to get married in my hometown.  One perk of that is I could have my old hairdresser, who is THE BEST, do my hair for my wedding.  She even did my hair for prom, way back when.  It was really like coming home again.

So I went to the trial the day before and we planned out that she would do my hair in the late morning...but leave the curlers in for me to take out myself shortly before the ceremony.  Then my mom got a terrible, a bit hysterical call from her that evening that she was in the hospital!!  But she had already arranged for one of the other hairdressers in her salon to take care of my hair.  In the hospital, freaked out about a possible cancer diagnosis, and she still thinks to arrange for my hair.  Can I just say again how she is the best and an amazing person?  (In the end, she did not have cancer and her symptoms were for something substantially more minor).

Unfortunately, the other hairdresser was not so awesome.  I explained the plan to keep my hair in curlers and she basically refused to do that.  I guess I should have fought harder, but it was my wedding day and I didn't want to argue with her about it any further.  She actually got a bit offended...even though she is not the one who knows my hair...because, "Honey, I have done the hair for 100s of brides.  I know how to keep the curls in your hair."  And they fell completely out long before the ceremony started.  Sigh.  So much for my "vision" of a cascade of loose curls down my back.  Instead, my hair looked like it does every single day, lol.  And THAT was a wasted $100.

But my wedding day was nothing short of joyful and wonderful.  And having "every day" hair being the worst thing that happened, I'm counting myself pretty lucky! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    @Knottie1466815565, these wolves would've done the same but not have been just so `~tacky~` to post about it. "The club soda did wonders!" //streetwalker blush//

It does makes for a fantastic story and your event person was fairly ballsy to suggest it. That is a person who is hell-devoted to making sure your day is fantastic.
    I can assure you I would not have done the same thing. I would have tried the club soda and water or a tide stick. I would have moved on. If it was really that bad I would have insisted the coordinator call the store owner and take down my credit card info and actually purchase the dress. 

Also, why come on a forum to insult all the people participating in it?
    I would have pulled my photographer aside and asked her how good her Photoshop skills were?  Also, I'm going to need them for the spinach in between my teeth while she's at it. 
    edit - I know this is a few days late, but I somehow missed this thread.

• My mother's psychotic dog kept breaking our wedding decor vases... They had been stored at her house in the same place for a year and come 2 days before the wedding he turned into a terror and broke a vase and part of a water dispenser. We tried to use the water dispenser without the broken piece and apparently the second they filled it at the wedding the whole thing shattered! Then to make matters even better, we brewed our own beer for the wedding and the groom's batch was bottled too early so they kept exploding LMAO!!

Even with all that it was still a fantastic evening.

• The night before our wedding (July 9th) we had a major thunderstorm come through and knock out our power while we were at the rehearsal dinner. So we come home to a totally dark house. I manage to take a shower in the dark with what was left of the hot water - thankfully I can't see without my glasses so I'm used to showering and shaving blind anyways. Next morning we still don't have power. All of the wedding stuff is in the basement/garage... to get into it, you have to go outside, down a flight of steps, and through the garage door... which can only be opened by an electric door opener.  So I managed to figure out how to break into our garage the morning of our wedding, lol. 

Wedding went great, other than one guest getting drunk and deciding to lick my arm (I looked at her and went "Eww?!")
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards