Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

cocktail hour menu

kmw201kmw201 member
First Anniversary First Comment
Hello,
    I am trying to finalize my cocktail hour selections and looking for opinions.  The wedding is at a restaurant on the beach in Cape Cod so I have a few seafood options plus non sea food for those who may be allergic or not like it. Cocktail hour is being followed by a buffet dinner with a chicken, steak and fish choice plus sides and veggies.
I am thinking:

Stationary-Cheese and fruit tray with crackers

Raw Bar -littlenecks on half shell

Passed - scallops wrapped with bacon
Tomato,mozzarella, basil flags
Fried ravioli
Coconut shrimp

Or Should I replace the coconut shrimp with stuffed mushrooms?
TIA

Re: cocktail hour menu

• I think it sounds delicious, but I love seafood. I love stuffed mushrooms too though. I sounds pretty balanced to me 1/2 seafood and 1/2 non-seafood.

• I think you are all good here, OP.

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I don't eat seafood and I'd be fine with your proposed menu.  Stuffed mushrooms are sometimes stuffed with crabmeat, so if you did replace the shrimp, I guess confirm with the mushrooms are stuffed with.  (Not that you have to replace them.)
  • If you are doing a raw bar is have more than just clams on it. 
  • edited July 2016
    If you are doing a raw bar is have more than just clams on it. 
    Depending on the time of year. It's considered unsafe to eat oysters during certain months (not sure why, though).

ETA: Some other possibilities for a raw bar:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_bar

I'm a pescetarian but too much of a wimp to eat raw clams (I love sushi and smoked salmon, but that's the extent of my enjoyment of raw seafood). The rest of your menu sounds fantastic!
  • If you do have guests with seafood/shellfish allergies, if you ensure that the caterer has the passed apps on different platters then you are totally good. 
  • Yum!!  Can I come?   ;)

I think the menu looks fantastic as is.  The only possible change I might consider would be swapping the shrimp for something like a meatball if you have any meat-and-potatoes types attending.  I know some of my dad's farmland friends would be a little lost without a red meat app, but luckily that doesn't apply to all groups.
  • If you are doing a raw bar is have more than just clams on it. 
    Exactly.    Our raw bar had clams, oysters, crab, shrimp and sushi.   

Raw bar that is only little necks is well, not a raw bar.  It's just little necks.  Which is fine, but a bar implies multiple items, not just one.

To answer the OP question:  I think it's a good menu.   You wedding is on Cape Code and in my opinion lean towards more seafood.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards