Wedding Etiquette Forum

What they're really saying

geebee908geebee908 member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited July 2016 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
@banana46 's comment in the trading reception thread that if your friends and family tell you something is quirky, what they're really thinking is that this is nuts and are too kind to tell you that to your face. What euphemistic phrases have you used with loved ones and what were you really thinking?

Re: What they're really saying

• "Oh!  That's really unique," or "Oh, what a unique idea."

Though I will use those phrases, even when it is a "positive unique" in my mind.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I pretty much use various sayingss like @short+sassy , @photokitty  and @OurWildKingdom mentioned.  Depending on the what and who.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    What a clever suggestion.
  • SP29SP29 member
    My mom always says, "Well that's different", particularly when she receives a gift she doesn't really like.
  • I usually give a non response like "oh" or "hmm" when someone tells me something I feel is God awful, stupid, or rude as hell but I'm not really close enough to set them straight.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• How interesting.
  • I think I've used all of the above at some point.
  • "That could work", is my favourite. 
  • Usually you know I don't agree with something/think it's a bad idea if I say "Oh, wow!" I don't think that's by choice...just what I happen to say, haha.

• Oh, that's nice...that's interesting...

• My two are "fun" and "honored." As in, "Do you like my new pants?" "They're so fun," and "I'm honored that you asked me to be your bridesmaid 'because I'll look better in pictures than our other friend,' but I must decline."
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • I use "Oh wow", "This is just so you", Very unique"
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    I am known for saying, "curious". 
  • kmmssg said:

Let's be honest, some babies come out a bit cuter than others.
    How I wish I could get away with saying this on Facebook.

• As we have been planning our wedding and people are giving suggestions that I'm not really interested in, I've used "Oh, I'll have to look into that" a lot.

I never really look into whatever it is. ;)

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • SaintPaulGalSaintPaulGal member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2016
    SoldiersMom said:

As we have been planning our wedding and people are giving suggestions that I'm not really interested in, I've used "Oh, I'll have to look into that" a lot. 
    I never really look into whatever it is. ;)
    Yes!  I do this one all the time.  "Oh wow, I've never heard of that.  I'll have to look into it."
  • kmmssg said:
    My sister in law has a friend who is a surgical tech and assists in a lot of C sections.  Let's be honest, some babies come out a bit cuter than others.  When they would deliver a baby that just hadn't hit the cute factor yet they would say things like "look at the hair on this one!"  "Oh, what long fingers!", etc.  It was code for this isn't the cutest baby we have ever delivered.
    FMIL says "isn't s/he just as cute as s/he can be?!"

Her logic is, she is not lying and she never said the child was attractive, lol.

I am with @PrettyGirlLost. Just a lot of 'mmmhmm' and 'sures' from me if I think it's ugly or something.

My dirty little secret- if I call your new baby "precious" instead of "so cute" or "adorable" then your baby not at all cute. (But maybe they'll grow into good looks!)

• When its something I don't like I say "Oh, Fun!"... and its never fun.

My sister likes to use "That is cute... for you...". We were recently shopping and I said I like this purse and she said "That looks like you!... but cute!"
  • dyerwise said:
    When its something I don't like I say "Oh, Fun!"... and its never fun.

My sister likes to use "That is cute... for you...". We were recently shopping and I said I like this purse and she said "That looks like you!... but cute!"
    Oh man, I've used that.  Also, "I could definitely see you wearing that!"

• I can't believe I forgot "elegant."
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards