Wedding Invitations & Paper

Last Question on Invites, I *SWEAR* (I'm probably lying though)

On the inner RSVP card in our invites, I'm putting:
Buffet Reception to immediately follow at 8 pm

Should "Reception" be capitalized or lowercase? I feel like I should know this but I keep looking at it and it looks wrong so I change it to lowercase and that doesn't feel right either. 
*Sidenote - it's so weird how these things are all of a sudden important to me.... wedding brain is weird. 

Re: Last Question on Invites, I *SWEAR* (I'm probably lying though)

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    I would eliminate "Buffet" and capitalize "Reception" with no time listed.

Also, since the reception is supposed to immediately follow the ceremony with no gap between, I would use

Reception
    Immediately following the ceremony
    Reception Venue
    Venue Address
    City, State

• So you think they'll know that a full meal will be served that late? I don't want people to try and eat first thinking that it'll only be cake and punch or appetizers or something with that late of a start time. 
  • So you think they'll know that a full meal will be served that late? I don't want people to try and eat first thinking that it'll only be cake and punch or appetizers or something with that late of a start time. 
    To be honest, it's something I wouldn't concern myself with.  

It's up to every guest to manage their own dietary needs. You could serve cake and punch or appetizers and have guests believing they've been shortchanged for that time of day, or you could have a full meal that doesn't get eaten because guests chose to eat in advance. You just never know. 

But you could use word-of-mouth or a wedding website to make known the fact that the reception will be a buffet meal.
  • Jen4948 said:
    So you think they'll know that a full meal will be served that late? I don't want people to try and eat first thinking that it'll only be cake and punch or appetizers or something with that late of a start time. 

It's up to every guest to manage their own dietary needs. You could serve cake and punch or appetizers and have guests believing they've been shortchanged for that time of day, or you could have a full meal that doesn't get eaten because guests chose to eat in advance. You just never know. 

But you could use word-of-mouth or a wedding website to make known the fact that the reception will be a buffet meal.
    .................or you could just say "Dinner to follow" and everyone will know what's being served?

Maybe sometimes the easiest solution is the right one?
  • Keep It Simple Stupid. Seriously. On a normal day I probably would have thought of that. Wedding brain is a real thing. Thank you!
  • Jen4948 said:
    So you think they'll know that a full meal will be served that late? I don't want people to try and eat first thinking that it'll only be cake and punch or appetizers or something with that late of a start time. 

.................or you could just say "Dinner to follow" and everyone will know what's being served?

Nice as that would be, "Dinner to follow" actually isn't correct. Wedding invitations don't describe the specifics of the hospitality to follow.

"Dinner" should only be used in word of mouth or on a website.
  • FeelTheRainFeelTheRain member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    So just do the Reception idea that you posted instead and put the actual details on the website and call it a day? I swear, most days I feel like I'm in control of everything and then other days I obsess about things like this. 
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    If you are following traditional invitation wording, a host would never list the type of reception following, as it is assumed a host will properly host their guests with food and drink appropriate to the time of day. The wording would be as Jen4948 has stated above.

Many Knotties, myself included, think it is a victimless crime to include information such as "Dinner to follow" (or something of the sort) when the event timing is something less than the ordinary (is it honestly being rude to anyone to tell them "we will serve dinner"?). For example, a non-meal time event where a meal will be served. Or in your case, a later wedding where it would be perfectly acceptable to host appetizers/cake/drinks only, but you are providing a meal.
  • Makes sense. So if I'm throwing tradition out the window and I want to make sure people know there's a full meal, I'll circle back to my original question. Should it read "Dinner reception" or "Dinner Reception." Are they both capitalized or just dinner? 
  • I think not capitalized looks better. But I could be wrong. 
  • Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

Nice as that would be, "Dinner to follow" actually isn't correct. Wedding invitations don't describe the specifics of the hospitality to follow.

Ah yes, wouldn't it be nice if we could all just do the simple thing that offends no one. 

Oh wait....
  • SP29SP29 member
    edited July 2016
    Not capitalized. "Dinner reception" is not a proper noun, thus you are capitalizing Dinner only, as it is the start of the sentence.
  • Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

I know there was a whole other thread on this discussion. I checked Crane's Wedding Etiquette guide, which said that traditionally "Dinner" wasn't included but it isn't an etiquette faux pas now. I would put "Dinner Reception to follow". On DD's we had that on two separate lines.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited July 2016
    I would put "Buffet reception following ceremony" on the RSVP card.  The Rsvp card is not a part of the invitation.  It is a reply card to your invitation.  Slight difference.  Your invitation should say "Reception to follow".
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    I would put "Buffet reception following ceremony" on the RSVP card.  The Rsvp card is not a part of the invitation.  It is a reply card to your invitation.  Slight difference.  Your invitation should say "Reception to follow".
    I thought you only put "Reception to follow" if the ceremony and reception are at the same venue, correct?
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited July 2016
    CMGragain said:
    I thought you only put "Reception to follow" if the ceremony and reception are at the same venue, correct?
    I have been overseas on vacation, so I'm not up on this one.  When you put "reception to immediately follow" on anything, this assumes that it is at the same location.
    On the inner RSVP card in our invites, I'm putting:
    Buffet Reception to immediately follow at 8 pm

Should "Reception" be capitalized or lowercase? I feel like I should know this but I keep looking at it and it looks wrong so I change it to lowercase and that doesn't feel right either. 
    *Sidenote - it's so weird how these things are all of a sudden important to me.... wedding brain is weird. 

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards