Wedding Reception Forum

Mechanical bull alternatives?

Hi all,

This is my first post! Excited to be here with you.

We are getting married on June 10, 2017, at Convict Lake Resort, near Mammoth, California. It's going to be country themed.

I *really* want to have a mechanical bull at the reception, but the price I was quoted by the most legit vendor is $4000. GULP. 

Can anyone suggest any fun alternatives--games or other activities--that I could do in place of the mechanical bull? I was thinking lawn games like corn hole...

Thank you!

Re: Mechanical bull alternatives?

• You can have lawn games like giant chess/checkers and corn hole but I would encourage you to make them optional and on the side of your reception venue.

• Oh yes good point. For the mechanical bull I was going to order shorts for everyone...and of course that would increase the price tag by at least another $1000.

But you're right. Lawn games like twister would be totally fun but totally not doable for most people unless everyone had a change of clothes.
  • Oh yes good point. For the mechanical bull I was going to order shorts for everyone...and of course that would increase the price tag by at least another $1000.

But you're right. Lawn games like twister would be totally fun but totally not doable for most people unless everyone had a change of clothes.
    Usually when I hear "lawn games," I think of things like horseshoes and cornhole. That would fit with your theme, and so would giant checkers.

Are you going to have music and dancing? 
  • Personally, I wouldn't change into "provided shorts" if I'm all dressed up for a wedding. I'd have to wear them under my dress since I wouldn't have brought a shirt to wear with the shorts.

Even if you end up being able to afford the bull, I think the bolded is a huge waste of money. It's an interesting idea in theory and a thoughtful way to get people to participate, but I think VERY few people would actually use it.

I would have to be hella drunk to think that was a good idea...and then obviously it probably wouldn't be. :)

*********************************************************************************

Even if you end up being able to afford the bull, I think the bolded is a huge waste of money. It's an interesting idea in theory and a thoughtful way to get people to participate, but I think VERY few people would actually use it.

I would have to be hella drunk to think that was a good idea...and then obviously it probably wouldn't be. :)

:lol::lol::lol: 
  • I don't need anything other than good food, good drinks, and good music to entertain myself at a wedding.

I think you're over thinking this.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• What constitutes "good drinks" for you? I am sure there are plenty of threads about this already (going to search now), but we're going back and forth on the wine/beer vs. full bar thing right now. Curious to hear what others think/have done.
  • madamerwinmadamerwin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2016
    What constitutes "good drinks" for you? I am sure there are plenty of threads about this already (going to search now), but we're going back and forth on the wine/beer vs. full bar thing right now. Curious to hear what others think/have done.
    To me, "good drinks" just means a variety, whether you choose to serve alcohol or not. Multiple non-alcoholic options (water, iced tea, lemonade, something sparkly), and a couple of alcoholic options is my ideal combo.

We had alcohol at our wedding: beer (a hefeweizen and a pale ale), wine (a white, a red, and a rose), and two liquors (bourbon and vodka) plus a variety of mixers. Not quite a full bar, but more like "beer and wine plus." You are completely fine sticking to beer and wine if that's what you want and can afford. If you go that route, I would have at least two beers (one lager and one ale, maybe) and two wines (a red and a white).

ETA to your original question: Corn hole and horse shoes would definitely fit the country theme!

ETA #2: "Good drinks" also = free drinks. Guests should not have to open their wallets for anything at the reception.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Agree that "good drinks" are ones I don't have to pay for as a guest.  But I also think it is important to offer quality spirits if you are doing a full bar--you don't have to get super high end top shelf stuff, but no rotgut awful rail whisky that's $5.99 a liter.  

Also want to chime in that $5k worth of good booze is going to be a lot more appreciated than $5k worth of mechanical bull and shorts.
    Yes, this, 100%.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Good drinks for me means I don't pay for them and there's variety, be they alcoholic or non. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • OK I think we are all on the same page about the wallet thing--thank you. My mom thinks having beer/wine and then cash bar for the hard stuff is fine and I disagree.

Also 4k for mechanical bull...much better use of that money! For some reason I just loved the idea of it. I think of it was like a 1k thing I might reconsider but at the same time the 1k mechanical bull is going to be the one that probably doesn't actually work and/or will fall on top of my FI's grandma, and then we'd be having a funeral, not a wedding.  :o
  • Agree that "good drinks" are ones I don't have to pay for as a guest.  But I also think it is important to offer quality spirits if you are doing a full bar--you don't have to get super high end top shelf stuff, but no rotgut awful rail whisky that's $5.99 a liter.  

Also want to chime in that $5k worth of good booze is going to be a lot more appreciated than $5k worth of mechanical bull and shorts.
    Yes, this, 100%.
    This and

AddieCake said:
    Good drinks for me means I don't pay for them and there's variety, be they alcoholic or non. 

This.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards