Moms and Maids

MIL talking trash to my boss at the reception

So, just found out that my MIL was trash-talking me at the reception to my boss. Apparently, she told my boss that I'm stuck-up. (This was because even though I offered for her to get her hair done with the BP she declined, then came in while we were getting ready and wanted her hair done. Because she had declined the stylist didn't have time.) After complaining about me, she THEN asked my boss how she knew me and boss apparently said, "I'm her boss. We love her. She is great!"

My boss is amazing but now I feel a little awkward knowing my MIL did this.

Anybody have anything like this or some other cringe-worthy story to share?

Re: MIL talking trash to my boss at the reception

• Wow! Does your husband know about this?
  • fyrchkfyrchk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    I told him. He told his mom that it was unacceptable and she owes both me and my boss an apology. She is denying it. Saying she never said it, etc. I have chosen to stay away from her for the time-being.
  • ernursej said:

I would deal with the elephant in the room.

Have a chat with your boss. "So boss, I heard that you were privy to some comments from my MIL. I've heard that they weren't positive. If you have any questions about my character I'm happy to discuss with you. Thank you again for joining us as we celebrated. It meant a lot that I could share our day with family and friends."

This. It signals you're mature and can handle awkward situations, it allows your boss to ask questions (if they have any) and makes you look balanced and reasonable. 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    did you learn about this from your boss or from someone who overheard it? 
  • fyrchk said:
    I told him. He told his mom that it was unacceptable and she owes both me and my boss an apology. She is denying it. Saying she never said it, etc. I have chosen to stay away from her for the time-being.
    Good for him! It sounds like you got a good one there! Your MIL, however, doesn't sound like the sharpest tool in the shed. I'm assuming your boss has no reason to lie to you about this and I hope your MIL apologizes soon.
  • fyrchkfyrchk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    kvruns said:
    did you learn about this from your boss or from someone who overheard it? 
    Boss-lady herself.

• You are not responsible for anything that your MIL says about you.  Her behavior only reflects on her, not you.  She made an ass of herself, and she knows it.  You don't need to say anything more.  Silence speaks loudly.

When I was married, many guests came over to wish me well and to sympathize about having a crazy MIL.  She was well known in town.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Now you know how your MIL operates - keep this in the back of your mind when preparing for future life events. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards