Wedding Woes

Do any of you ever just want to do something crazy?

2»

Re: Do any of you ever just want to do something crazy?

• TrixieJessTrixieJess member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    *Barbie* said:
    I'm not one to have wanderlust .... but reference, since you do want to come to Canada, was there a place that you were looking at? There's some upsides/downsides I could give you heads up before going if you want :)
    I'll be in Montreal in October for a few days. Any tips? All I know for sure is that I'm going to the Habs/Pens game.

@DrillSergeantCat  - the first thing I'm doing when I retire ( in ~25-30 years) is dyeing my hair some sort of fabulous color/colors. I never did it in college, and with working a corporate job for the last 10 years, can't get away with it. Right now it's this - but since it was layered over auburn, ended up more burgundy. I'm going to touch it up in a week or 2, so might end up with more intensity on the purple. 

Montreal is awesome, walk everywhere. The food is amazing. There is smoked meat and poutine on St. Laurent. Other amazing edibles in the Old City. The Basilica is beautiful but any of stores are great. Are the kids going? 

Just saw that you are going to be there in October. It's a weird time of year. It could be 30*C or -10*C (86 and 14*F) and a blizzard. Double check the weather before you leave. 
  • I've never dyed my hair. The idea terrifies me. Maybe when I'm super grey and I have to, I'll be ballsy enough to do something fun with it.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

• ETA to shorten quote tree
    Come to Canada, we have Kinder Eggs, health care and Justin Trudeau. 
    YES!!!! Down side .... humidity right now :(
    Humidity I can deal with. Snow/winter is a deal breaker.
  • *Barbie* said:
    I'm not one to have wanderlust .... but reference, since you do want to come to Canada, was there a place that you were looking at? There's some upsides/downsides I could give you heads up before going if you want :)
    I'll be in Montreal in October for a few days. Any tips? All I know for sure is that I'm going to the Habs/Pens game.

Boo Habs ;) St Catherine Street has great shopping and don't assume a place isn't good from looks! I went to a thrift store there before and it was INSANE how amazing it was!!

Also if you can find the Cat Cafe, go there {google it. exactly how it sounds} If you do, let me know how it is because that's pretty new :)
  • @TrixieJess  same. No a/c and our apt gets afternoon heat :'(!! but 73 days until we move out of there :smiley:

I will never live in a non-A/C building/house ever again. Mind you, we only need to turn ours on when it hits 35*C outside with the humidex. We live in a Victorian house surrounded by trees near the lake. 
    Your house sounds beautiful!! Our apartment is old and has horrible ventilation so we have 5 fans through the place. New place may not need a/c that cold though.
  • I'm a Pens fan, so I'm hoping to not get attacked too much. I'll be wearing my Crosby jersey, and he's a Canadian national hero, so might not be as bad. :-P

I'm fine with snow. I grew up in Pittsburgh and lived in Philly for ~5 years before moving to Houston in 2010, so that won't bother me. I was considering trying to go to Quebec City or Ottawa since I would be close, but I probably won't if it's snowy. It will give me an excuse to bust out the few cold weather items that I still own. 
  • @TrixieJess  same. No a/c and our apt gets afternoon heat :'(!! but 73 days until we move out of there :smiley:

I will never live in a non-A/C building/house ever again. Mind you, we only need to turn ours on when it hits 35*C outside with the humidex. We live in a Victorian house surrounded by trees near the lake. 
    Your house sounds beautiful!! Our apartment is old and has horrible ventilation so we have 5 fans through the place. New place may not need a/c that cold though.
    It's small but it's one of the older houses in our neighbourhood. Most of the houses were built after 1930, ours was built in 1889 as a caretaker's cottage for one of the larger houses in the area. 
  • *Barbie* said:
    I'm a Pens fan, so I'm hoping to not get attacked too much. I'll be wearing my Crosby jersey, and he's a Canadian national hero, so might not be as bad. :-P

I'm fine with snow. I grew up in Pittsburgh and lived in Philly for ~5 years before moving to Houston in 2010, so that won't bother me. I was considering trying to go to Quebec City or Ottawa since I would be close, but I probably won't if it's snowy. It will give me an excuse to bust out the few cold weather items that I still own. 
    Quebecers are a different breed then Canadians :) Good Luck! 

Ottawa and Quebec City are both about an hour to two hours from Montreal (45 minutes if you are driving with a native Quebecois). Just be careful if you are driving in Quebec, they are CRAZY. 
  • *Barbie* said:
    I'm a Pens fan, so I'm hoping to not get attacked too much. I'll be wearing my Crosby jersey, and he's a Canadian national hero, so might not be as bad. :-P

Ottawa and Quebec City are both about an hour to two hours from Montreal (45 minutes if you are driving with a native Quebecois). Just be careful if you are driving in Quebec, they are CRAZY
    All of this!! Lmao

Also .... Crosby is a debatable one. My BIL LOVES Carey Price though {Habs goalie} and Habs are our somewhat rival to my city, it's funny.
  • Be advised: housing prices in Colorado are literally insane right now. I don't know when the bubble will pop, but it's almost not worth it to move here right now. Even the "less desirable" suburbs, like my own lovely Aurora, have ridiculous rental prices, and forget buying. 

I won't ever tell you not to move here. It's amazing. It's beautiful. People are normal. Pot is legal. We never, ever plan on leaving. But maybe if you can wait a bit, it might be a more hospitable housing environment. 
  • @AtomicBlonde
    Holy crap. You couldn't pay me a million bucks to do that. Good on you!!

@ShesSoCold
    I don't dye my hair either. Every once in awhile I get the urge but... I'm a natural blonde. Only twice in my life have I lightened it and it didn't look right. When I was in high school my mom told me bluntly that millions of women pay good money to have my hair color so I should embrace it. She had a point, so now it's been over 10 years since I've touched it. 

Would love to try something crazy but don't want to risk damaging what I have. Hair never seems to grow back to the true original color for some silly reason. 

• @AtomicBlonde
    Holy crap. You couldn't pay me a million bucks to do that. Good on you!!

@ShesSoCold
    I don't dye my hair either. Every once in awhile I get the urge but... I'm a natural blonde. Only twice in my life have I lightened it and it didn't look right. When I was in high school my mom told me bluntly that millions of women pay good money to have my hair color so I should embrace it. She had a point, so now it's been over 10 years since I've touched it. 

Would love to try something crazy but don't want to risk damaging what I have. Hair never seems to grow back to the true original color for some silly reason. 
    My mom used to say the same thing and I was terrified to dye my hair. 

Then I started getting grays at age 26 and was super unhappy about it. I found an amazing stylist who matched my natural color and just colored it normally for a few years. I've let it grow out once or twice and it looks exactly like my natural color (plus a crap ton of gray and I'm 30 years old). After that I started to have a little more fun, sometimes I go a real dark brown, sometimes I lighter brown, sometimes a little copper color. It's been more fun. If you go to a good salon and take care of it well you won't do any permanent damage. 
  • Heffalump said:
    FWIW, I dated a guy who was a pilot.  He did pretty well flying private airplanes in Colorado:  charters, the occasional jet, and a lot of moving a plane from one spot to another (i.e. flew into Denver, now someone else needs it in Aspen).  If he's having a hard time landing a spot with one of the big carriers, that might be a good option.

But to your original question yeah, I spent about half of my commute this morning trying to think of jobs DH and I could get in the mountains that pay close to what we're making now, so we can chuck it all and live up there full time. 
    This definitely is playing into my thought process. DH is having a hard time finding a job in our area or surrounding cities. I thought there may be more opportunities in Colorado since there are so many ski towns. I'm glad to know that it really is possible to get something out there and do pretty well :)

What sort of flying does your H want to do? It my mid you have the ideal location for him to fly Delta. The have an Atlanta base and you'll have no TN state taxes.
  • @baconsmom We are going to have to wait a while before we can move anyways, but thank you for the heads up! I was looking at some listings online last night, and it is so ridiculously expensive out there right now. Hopefully things slow down out there in the near future so that it's more affordable to move there! Aurora is beautiful. I am jealous!!

• *Barbie* said:

Ottawa and Quebec City are both about an hour to two hours from Montreal (45 minutes if you are driving with a native Quebecois). Just be careful if you are driving in Quebec, they are CRAZY
    All of this!! Lmao

Also .... Crosby is a debatable one. My BIL LOVES Carey Price though {Habs goalie} and Habs are our somewhat rival to my city, it's funny.
    I'm married to a Flyers fan. It's the biggest point of contention in our marriage.
  • *Barbie* said:
    *Barbie* said:

All of this!! Lmao

I'm married to a Flyers fan. It's the biggest point of contention in our marriage.

I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • TNDancer said:
    Heffalump said:
    FWIW, I dated a guy who was a pilot.  He did pretty well flying private airplanes in Colorado:  charters, the occasional jet, and a lot of moving a plane from one spot to another (i.e. flew into Denver, now someone else needs it in Aspen).  If he's having a hard time landing a spot with one of the big carriers, that might be a good option.

But to your original question yeah, I spent about half of my commute this morning trying to think of jobs DH and I could get in the mountains that pay close to what we're making now, so we can chuck it all and live up there full time. 
    This definitely is playing into my thought process. DH is having a hard time finding a job in our area or surrounding cities. I thought there may be more opportunities in Colorado since there are so many ski towns. I'm glad to know that it really is possible to get something out there and do pretty well :)

What sort of flying does your H want to do? It my mid you have the ideal location for him to fly Delta. The have an Atlanta base and you'll have no TN state taxes.

He doesn't have enough hours to fly for an airline yet. They require a 1500 minimum and he's sitting at 750 right now. If he had the hours we would be in a prime location for an airline job! He's having to look at fractionals, charter companies, etc. for jobs to help build his time, but those are few and far between around here :(

• TNDancer said:
    Heffalump said:

He doesn't have enough hours to fly for an airline yet. They require a 1500 minimum and he's sitting at 750 right now. If he had the hours we would be in a prime location for an airline job! He's having to look at fractionals, charter companies, etc. for jobs to help build his time, but those are few and far between around here :(

A good friend's husband made a huge sacrifice and did northern flying for a few years to get enough flying time in and now works for the entry level of Air Canada. The company he worked for did 4 weeks on 2 weeks off. He was able to come home during that time.
  • All the time. I still can't decide whether I want a degree in law or special education, and there's a part of me that still wants to join the Peace Corps. I also want to get a motorcycle license and ride cross-country on a Harley.
    Join the Peace Corps! You can work in Special Education without getting the degree first so you can see if you really want to do it. And 2+ years abroad really helps clarify thoughts, change your whole perspective and life, and possibly guide you to your passion
  • edited July 2016
    Late to the convo but add me to the "all the time" category. 

When I graduated from college I had the opportunity to take a paid internship on Capital Hill and declined, for many reasons including knowing my sister planned to move after graduation. And I couldn't leave them with no one. 

I've dreamt of moving to Chicago for about a decade now. My company has offices out there and all I have to do is say so and I can transfer. But I fell in love with a teacher, and even if he completed their somewhat insulting certification transfer process, it's impossible to get a job. Literally not a single person, in real life or on education boards has endorsed the idea. So here we stay. 

Also, my job and company are fairly corporate and I've had blue and bright red highlights now. Our VP of HR told me she'd always wanted blue hair; I said you run HR - who is going to stop you?!  Most of my customers have complimented the colors too. I think it's becoming less passe with time!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards