Wedding Invitations & Paper

How to address invitation *without* inner envelopes?

I've looked around the internets and the Emily Post Etiquette book about how to address the invitation when you are inviting the children (under 18). Everyone says to put the parents' names on the outer envelope, and then all of the invitees' names on the inner envelope. But we're not getting inner envelopes. How would we address them on the outer envelope?

Thanks!

Re: How to address invitation *without* inner envelopes?

• Mr. and Mrs. Simpson

Bart, Lisa and Maggie Simpson

Address follows.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    Mr. and Mrs. Homer Simpson
    Bart, Lisa and Maggie Simpson
    123 Maple Street
    Springfield, State  ZIP

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Miss Manners says that girls may be included in the parents' address, but boys should get their own invitation.

That one baffles me, honestly.
  • Oh, but I do think honorifics are appropriate for all addressees, not just the adults.

Mr. and Mrs. Homer J. Simpson
    Master Bartholomew J. Simpson
    Misses Lisa and Margaret Simpson

• LtPowers said:
    Oh, but I do think honorifics are appropriate for all addressees, not just the adults.

This is fine for the inner envelope (if there is one), but for the outer envelope, it makes it cluttered and somewhat difficult to read.  You are technically correct, but it isn't practical.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • edited July 2016
    LtPowers said:
    Miss Manners says that girls may be included in the parents' address, but boys should get their own invitation.

This has got to be some sort of misunderstanding. I can't imagine this advice being given. 

ETA do you have a link? I'd love to see that in writing. 
  • Ironring said:
    LtPowers said:
    Miss Manners says that girls may be included in the parents' address, but boys should get their own invitation.

This has got to be some sort of misunderstanding. I can't imagine this advice being given. 

Try Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior. It's a book.
  • There is no way I'd follow such sexist logic of sending a minor boy his own invitation while including a minor girl on her parents'  nope.    Following Crane's here and the kids go on a line under mom and dad.   

• LtPowers said:
    Oh, but I do think honorifics are appropriate for all addressees, not just the adults.

Blech.
  • ernursej said:

Blech.
    Well, that's insightful. Is there something wrong with my post?
  • Ironring said:

I've previously quoted Miss Manners on this topic, here: http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/comment/7572294/#Comment_7572294

• LtPowers said:
    Ironring said:

I've previously quoted Miss Manners on this topic, here: http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/comment/7572294/#Comment_7572294

I actually read this as adult children not minor children. I agree it doesn't make sense that female adults can be included on their parent's invitation, but I'm sure it dates back to the time that women were considered part of the family unit until they married and had their own. It obviously, needs to be updated.
  • LtPowers said:
    ernursej said:

Blech.
    Well, that's insightful. Is there something wrong with my post?

I was blech about using middle initials. I feel that this level of formality needs to stop. I would be irritated if someone used my middle initial.
  • edited July 2016
    Single parent and child?

Mr. Sam & Master Jonah Baldwin
    123 Sleepless St
    Seattle, WA 01234

I have a few of these.
  • Single parent and child?

123 Sleepless St
    Seattle, WA 01234

I have a few of these.
    Parent and child should be on different lines, as PP have said.

Mr. Sam Baldwin
    Master Jonah Baldwin
    123 Sleepless Street
    Seattle, Washington 01234

123 Sleepless St
    Seattle, WA 01234

I have a few of these.

Mr. Sam Baldwin
    Master Jonah Baldwin
    123 Sleepless Street
    I wasn't sure if it was different if it was a single parent. 
  • Do the kids line get a last name as well if their last name is the same as the parent(s)? Or is it just first names? I've seen conflicting things online. 

123 Sleepless St
    Seattle, WA 01234

I have a few of these.

Mr. Sam Baldwin
    Master Jonah Baldwin
    123 Sleepless Street
    I wasn't sure if it was different if it was a single parent. 
    The rules are not different for single parents.  My Dad died when I was 15.  Did that change how I was addressed?  No.

The only people who may share the same line of text are married couples and then minor children. 
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    The rules are not different for single parents.  My Dad died when I was 15.  Did that change how I was addressed?  No.

The only people who may share the same line of text are married couples and then minor children. 
    What are you even on about? How in the world did you jump from should the envelope read Mr. Samuel and Master Baldwin to I said you should be addressed differently? 
    edited July 2016
    CMGragain said:

What are you even on about? How in the world did you jump from should the envelope read Mr. Samuel and Master Baldwin to I said you should be addressed differently? 
    Because you said "I wasn't sure if it was different if it was a single parent. "  I gave myself as an example, since my mother was then a single parent.  Relax.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    CMGragain said:

Because you said "I wasn't sure if it was different if it was a single parent. "  I gave myself as an example, since my mother was then a single parent.  Relax.
    Which is why I gave an example of how I thought it should be. I'm not suggesting you should be referred to as Little Orphan CMGragain. 
    edited July 2016
    CMGragain said:
    CMGragain said:

Which is why I gave an example of how I thought it should be. I'm not suggesting you should be referred to as Little Orphan CMGragain. 
    Awwww.  That sounds cute.  :p
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • ILoveBeachMusic said:

I actually read this as adult children not minor children. I agree it doesn't make sense that female adults can be included on their parent's invitation, but I'm sure it dates back to the time that women were considered part of the family unit until they married and had their own. It obviously, needs to be updated.
    You may be right on that, though it's really ambiguous.

• SP29SP29 member
    CMGragain said:

Meaning when there are 2 (married) parents, the parents are on one line and the children listed on a separate line below- as we have seen above. This does not change just because there is a single parent. Single parent listed on first line, child(ren) listed on a separate line below.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards