Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Re: a

• Is it a real fireplace? Like heat producing? We had a fireplace at our venue that was on the whole night but it was one of those modern-y wide accent ones that didn't produce heat. Ask your venue about that.

If the answer is yes (produces heat), then I wouldn't put your cake anywhere near it.

You could simply not have a fire in the fireplace and then place stuff wherever. Or if it's a natural, coved fireplace, see if the venue would let you put flameless candles in it - they wouldn't produce any heat, would still make the fireplace a focal point and you could put any tables wherever you want. Obviously the pic below is of someone's house but you get the idea:

Your floor plan looks cool but a couple of comments - I would put the photobooth and the video game outside where you have the popcorn/candy station. Then I'd move your DJ booth to that corner at an angle. Because keep in mind he/she has to stand behind that table and have space to set up their stuff. They need more space than you'd think. Then that frees up the wall the DJ booth is currently on so you can move your cake table if you want a real fire in the fireplace.

*********************************************************************************

• kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I would think that if the heat is enough to make your husband melt, it'll make your cake melt too!
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    also, just looked at the floor plan, I have never seen a DJ booth that far from the dance floor.  Is the DJ ok with that placement?  I'd think he or she would want to be closer to the dance floor to gauge his performance.
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2016
    I would not put a cake in front of a fireplace that produces heat.  If it's not going to be turned on that it's okay.

I would keep the DJ area as close to the dance floor as possible.  Unless it's raised, it would be hard for the DJ to read the crowd because of all the tables in front of him/her.   Plus I think you are asking for guests to bother him/her because they are out in front.   Everyone has to walk by him/her to use the bathroom.

2 ten foot buffets is pretty small for 200+ people buffet.   Unless it's double sided (hard to tell from the layout.)

What is the space directly across from the dance floor?

The popcorn/candy station seems like an afterthought.  I'm guessing it's a terrace or something.  But I agree I would move the video game and photobooth out there is possible.  It would be a little more cohesive.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Thank you all for the help. It is a big working fireplace, so definitely won't put the cake there. 

The popcorn/candy buffet are on the terrace, we have having them for the cocktail hour, there is a large outdoor bar garden area over to the side of the building with a truck and jenga/etc. The terrace is a balcony with a hanging swing in the corner, and the area where the tables are is an opening. We are planning to have the chapel/outside areas open during cocktail hour and waiting for the actual reception hall to be opened when we are ready to move to reception time. 

We aren't having a DJ, we will have speakers set up and an area with the computer/sound board, but it doesn't need to be close, and that table can even be against the wall if needed. 

All the 10' tables are wooden, and we have to use all 8 of them for then venue. 

I don't think there is room out on the terrace for the photobooth and video game as it has the cracker barrel rocking chairs as well and the fireplace goes through to out there. 
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2016
    Without a DJ I think the booth is even more in a bad spot.   You are just opening up yourself to people "playing" with the equipment.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • get rid of the photobooth, video game, and popcorn/candy bar and hire a DJ?
  • It's not the money that is keeping us from the DJ-but otherwise we would cut back in these areas. My fiance was a DJ himself for a while and still does, so he has all the music, we have an MC for announcements and such. 
  • So knowing the new info, I would get rid of the rocking chairs on the porch so that you can have the video game and photo booth out there. I agree with @lyndausvi - if there's no one at the "DJ booth" and it's in that high traffic of an area, I can almost guarantee people will play with the equipment, use it to set their drinks down (maybe spill), etc. Just not good placement. If you free up that corner, you can put the DJ table over there no problem.

*********************************************************************************

• I would make (2) buffet stations, one on each side of the room using (2) of the ten foot tables to ease congestion and help the lines move along. Move the cake table to the dance floor and remove when dancing is over. 

I also agree that the laptop or whatever is managing the music needs to be moved somewhere closer to the dance floor where there is less traffic. 

Whats up with the video game?
  • Well, THAT was a disappointing bat signal... 
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards