Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Donut bar as dessert for reception

Looking to do a donut bar with all kinds of donuts and toppings as our dessert for our wedding in october. I don't like cake and I'm not much a decadent sweet person but my fiance and I do LOVE donuts! Would it be weird to have this as our dessert? We would like to do hot chocolate, cider, and coffee with it as well.

Re: Donut bar as dessert for reception

• I think it sounds like a fun idea. Two points: make sure you have enough so that people can try different flavours/toppings and maybe get a bunch of mini ones to help with people wanting different options; and 2) your crowd isn't a big gluten free crowd right? I know that with many of my family/friends this wouldn't be great since they are gluten free. Maybe also include some fruit so go with the donuts. 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2016
    I love donuts too, but it might seem odd to have them as your only dessert option because not everyone loves them or can eat them - especially if they're diabetic, need a gluten-free option, and/or are trying to lose weight, so I'd consider a fruit bowl or other kind of dessert in addition to the donuts.

I like the drink menu and would consider adding tea to it.
  • I love doughnuts. 

But yea this sounds great. Jen4948 said:
    I love donuts too, but it might seem odd to have them as your only dessert option because not everyone loves them or can eat them - especially if they're diabetic, need a gluten-free option, and/or are trying to lose weight, so I'd consider a fruit bowl or other kind of dessert in addition to the donuts.

I disagree with all of this; these would be issues whether you had cake, cupcakes, cookies, ice cream, candy, whatever as your only dessert option. You don't need to cater to someone pot equally being on a diet when it comes to dessert. 
    If the idea behind hosting is to make your guests comfortable, then I have to firmly disagree with you that "you don't need to cater to someone not equally being on a diet when it comes to dessert."  Not all guests will be comfortable with nothing but donuts.
  • edited July 2016
    Jen4948 said:

Agree 100%.

ETA: I agree that I would add tea and that it's nice to have fresh fruit as another option.
  • Jen4948 said:
    I love doughnuts. 

I disagree with all of this; these would be issues whether you had cake, cupcakes, cookies, ice cream, candy, whatever as your only dessert option. You don't need to cater to someone pot equally being on a diet when it comes to dessert. 
    If the idea behind hosting is to make your guests comfortable, then I have to firmly disagree with you that "you don't need to cater to someone not equally being on a diet when it comes to dessert."  Not all guests will be comfortable with nothing but donuts.

I'm sorry but I don't think having one type of dessert makes someone a bad hostess. I'm sure not everyone likes cake, but I've been to dozens of weddings where that is the only dessert and I've never once thought they are a bad hostess. I've also never heard anyone argue on here that people need multiple types of dessert. Hell, we even tell brides they can offer one signature if that's all they can afford. 

If its in the budget to add extras like fruit or whatever then that's great, but really telling someone they must consider whether someone is potentially on a diet is ridiculous. 

Agreed with this completely. I don't particularly like sweets, so I expect not to eat dessert, which is fine, because I don't really like it lol. If you're on a diet (and you plan to keep to it while being a guest at this wedding) you have probably prepared yourself not to eat dessert.
  • We are doing two different desserts (neither is cake and offering two because FI and I hate the one that the other likes). I have never considered offering fruit and won't be. My Dad is even diabetic and he would never touch fruit at a celebration (his own admission). He makes sure he is strict with things for the few days before, during the day and the few days after and then makes sure to check his BGL before and after the sweet and adjusts his insulin.

• I love doughnuts. 

I disagree with all of this; these would be issues whether you had cake, cupcakes, cookies, ice cream, candy, whatever as your only dessert option. You don't need to cater to someone pot equally being on a diet when it comes to dessert
    Agreed people on a diet can skip dessert!

On the other hand I am offering cheese board and cut fruit in addition to dessert and cake.  I would love your donut bar.
  • Love the idea!
    I would go with smaller doughnuts if you can. Don't know about the rest of you, but when there are free doughnuts in the office, people are always cutting them in halves or quarters. Sure, people don't always eat the entire cake slice either, but having a "bar" and toppings available, it makes sense to me to have small portions. 

Love the idea of pairing it with hot chocolate and cider too! 

• I think this is fine.    You can't please all dessert eaters and I know plenty of people who don't love wedding cake.   
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Totally fine.

I agree to offer a few flavours and perhaps mini donuts so guests can try more than one.
  • Love this idea! My husband isn't a big cake person and he loves donuts, so I know he'd love something like that. I think some people might be surprised if there's no cake there since it's expected at weddings. I would be, but I wouldn't be upset by any means. We had cake and for our groom's "cake" we had snickerdoodle cookies (again, because my husband isn't a big cake fan) and our guests loved it!
  • This. Is. Awesome. What a cool idea especially for October!! Plus, this is something unique about your wedding that most people will enjoy.

I agree on the mini donuts thing. Especially if you're having a bar with different toppings. Knowing myself, I would be the person going back for seconds, thirds, fourths, and possibly fifths, just to try all the toppings.

• I will suggest avoiding anything with powdered sugar because of the mess it makes, but I really like it otherwise!
  • AddieCake said:
    WTF, Jen? This is one of those times where it looks like you're just looking to argue because it's always ok to just have cake but not ok to just have donuts for your reasons? 
    Stop with your logic!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • bohobrideCAbohobrideCA member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2016
    Honestly, I hate this trend of overabundance of sweets and dessert options. Multiple cakes, candy bars, etc. These "ideas" are all over Pinterest and it's just another unnecessary, expensive trend. Dessert is a luxury, one signature item is wonderful hosting. 

ETA: For those concerned with guest restrictions, she's also offering hot chocolate, cider and coffee along with the donuts. Hot chocolate or cider alone is enough of a dessert for me so I think she's covering plenty of bases. 
  • I really really love this idea.

I'm not a fan of cake...I love sweets but honestly most wedding cake I end up not liking so I usually don't have any, so when someone has cake at their wedding I just sort of shrug and get more booze. Booze is always a good substitution for dessert you don't like. (And I don't think you need to have anything more than donuts, just make sure there's more than enough to go around!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Jen4948 said:
    I love doughnuts. 

A weight loss diet is a personal choice.  It's not my responsibility as a hostess to cater to  everyone's personal choices- I'm hosting a social event, not running a made to order restaurant.

It's your responsibility as a guest to politely decline anything that is being served that doesn't fit into your ketogenic/paleo/Atkins/whatever meal plan.

It's my responsibility as a hostess to make a reasonable attempt to ensure that everyone is adequately fed.  If you can eat dinner but have to choose to skip dessert, you have still been adequately fed.  And since diets that actually work long term are all about portion control and balance, a single donut shouldn't derail anyone.

Personally, I'd make sure to have some gluten free and diabetic friendly (sugar free) donuts as well as regular ones.  Otherwise I think this sounds great especially if you go this route:

eileenrob said:
    When I heard "fall wedding" and "donuts" I immediately thought of apple glaze, pumpkin spice, and cinnamon crumb donuts...go for it! 
    Add me to the list of people that don't like wedding cake; I've very rarely had one that wasn't super dry with overly sugary icing (bleh) or worse yet, that wasn't a damn burnt almond torte (gag).

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• AddieCake said:
    I will happily eat any leftover cake you blasphemous cake shunners leave behind! 
    Me too! DD's wedding cake was delicious! They had three flavors and I only tried two  :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards