Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

No Cake?

So I really hate wedding cake and have no desire to have one at my own wedding.  Are there any fun dessert alternatives that you guys have used/are using at your wedding?

Re: No Cake?

• Theres a thread on this board about having donuts with assorted toppings that sounds yum, and I've been to a lot of weddings with assorted cupcakes. I'm in the same boat as you, OP. I'm not a huge cake fan (I know, it's blasphemous!) so I think the assorted sweet options make a fun alternative.

Personally I'm having a 'cheese' cake, and plated dessert with the meal instead of cake or cupcakes. We will provide a pick and mix table for those with a sweet tooth later, and my bff has just offered to make tablet (scottish sweet) as a favour, so I hope that will be enough for the sugar fiends!

• All kinds of options; cupcakes, pie, cookies, cheesecake, brownies, fudge, doughnuts, ice cream bar, tortes, candy. What do you and your FI like?
  • My cousin did a variety of pies and it was awesome! I love cake, but something different is usually a pleasant surprise because I really love sweets of any kind.
  • We had an ice cream sundae bar in lieu of a cake.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• We had cheesecakes, a gelato station with toppings and cupcake favors.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
    Now I want cheesecake! Thanks a lot!

• My cousin did a variety of pies and it was awesome! I love cake, but something different is usually a pleasant surprise because I really love sweets of any kind.
    One of my cousins had pies too. They had a cake, but it was mostly for show; I don't think anyone ate any.

My pleasure. :)

I freaking LOVE cheesecake. It was no brainer for us to have a cheesecake to cut and feed each other.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    We attended a wedding once where they had an ice cream truck pull up to the venue for dessert.  The brides paid for it so guests didn't lay out any money. . . . we just got to walk up and choose what we wanted.  I have no idea if there was cake too.
  • edited July 2016
    Where are all the cake-hating weirdos coming from?

J/K. Around here, a sweets table is popular. It's a great excuse to serve a variety of desserts. 
    I've had a lot of bad wedding cake.  I love a good cake!

All kinds of options; cupcakes, pie, cookies, cheesecake, brownies, fudge, doughnuts, ice cream bar, tortes, candy. What do you and your FI like?
    This!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• You can serve any dessert you like.
  • Serve what you will eat here are some idea

• Cheesecake
    • Carrot cake
    • Cupcakes
    • Pound cake
    • Cookies
    • Brownies
    • Chocolate mousse
    • Parfaits
    • Fruit
    • Pies
  • Individual creme brulee for all!
  • Heffalump said:
    Individual creme brulee for all!
    Thats what we're having! 

• Heffalump said:
    Individual creme brulee for all!
    Thats what we're having! 
    OMG where is my invitation? Creme brulee is my favorite!!

We had milkshakes and a buffet of retro candies in addition to cake.
    And I want gelato!
  • Theres a thread on this board about having donuts with assorted toppings that sounds yum, and I've been to a lot of weddings with assorted cupcakes. I'm in the same boat as you, OP. I'm not a huge cake fan (I know, it's blasphemous!) so I think the assorted sweet options make a fun alternative.

Personally I'm having a 'cheese' cake, and plated dessert with the meal instead of cake or cupcakes. We will provide a pick and mix table for those with a sweet tooth later, and my bff has just offered to make tablet (scottish sweet) as a favour, so I hope that will be enough for the sugar fiends!
    I just googled tablet, and it sounds delicious!
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'm a big fan of mini pies. If we ever renew our vows, I shall serve pie...

But you can serve any dessert item you like.
  • We are doing two different desserts instead of cake - panna cotta and something chocolate TBD.
  • Sorry for the thread jack but cheesecake lovers: Cheesecake factory has half price cheesecake this weekend!

I just googled tablet, and it sounds delicious!
    I can confirm that it doesn't just sound delicious!

• edited July 2016
    Haha thanks everyone, but now I have a major craving for cheesecake :)
  • lnixon8 said:
    Sorry for the thread jack but cheesecake lovers: Cheesecake factory has half price cheesecake this weekend!
    I'm so glad I came to read this board today.

• OP - the sky is the limit when it comes to dessert!  Above all else - as a Chef contact of mine Keegan once put it "MID - MAKE IT DELICIOUS!  If it doesn't taste like it's worth every bite, don't serve it, whatever dessert it may be! 

You can hate wedding cake, but that doesn't necessarily mean you hate all cake, just white almond maybe, or textureless-flavorless nasty@$$ greasy icing that is made by a particular baker in your area that everyone uses because they're cheap...  The dessert buffet is usually the greatest because people can go get dessert when they're ready and there's a huge variety so everyone has something they like to choose from.  The sundae buffet (or served at the tables with toppings) is also popular...  Cheesecake...  Pudding/frozen yogurt with fresh fruit...  Dessert tray at each table..  etc.

• Some more offbeat ideas I've seen. Ice cream cake. Pies. Cookie cake (very large cookie). Cinnamon rolls (this was for a "cake" and punch reception, no full meal. It might be a bit much if you're having a full meal, unless they were mini or cut up.)
  • Fruit and yogurt parfaits are a great go-to dessert for a healthy (and gluten-free!) option. Visitors can make their own particular parfait and include fixings from a yogurt bar, or on the off chance that you'd like to energize additionally blending and blending amid the gathering, have orderlies pass them around to keep the vitality and development step up.
  • syrupgg said:
    Fruit and yogurt parfaits are a great go-to dessert for a healthy (and gluten-free!) option. Visitors can make their own particular parfait and include fixings from a yogurt bar, or on the off chance that you'd like to energize additionally blending and blending amid the gathering, have orderlies pass them around to keep the vitality and development step up.

Let's get back to the delicious cheesecake
    Thank you. I'm going to side-eye the shit out of anyone who serves yogurt as their only dessert option. 
  • Damn!  I wish there was a Cheesecake Factory near here!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards