Attire & Accessories Forum

Bridesmaid Dress

So my plan for colours for my wedding has always been grey and light purple/lilac with a touch of soft green. I really wanted to find a nice floral dress for the bridesmaids to wear but I have had a hard time finding one that is both nice and in decent colours. I found one at David's Bridal that is floral and grey with light blue and a touch of green and I love it!

I have two questions: First, do you all like this dress? I love it and my bridesmaids have all said they love it too however I have had a few people tell me it is ugly and jokingly suggest I want my bridesmaids to look bad!! That is not my plan at all, I'm in love with this dress! I'm just worried my bridesmaids aren't being honest in order to spare my feelings?

Second question: Is it silly to take my decor inspiration from a dress? I'd always thought I wanted purples but now that I've found this dress I would be willing to do blue instead because I love it so much (and my fiance is on board for whichever colour I decide on).

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Bridesmaid Dress

• Got a link or pic of the dress? 
  • I think this is beautiful. I would be far more likely to wear this again than a mono-chrome super bridesmaidy dress.

I also think this will match most skin tones, I'm very pale and think this would look decent on me, and as you can see from the photo it looks lovely on darker skin tones.
  • @DrillSergeantCat I posted a picture on my OP, did it not show up? :s
  • Is it within your BMs' budgets?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Oops there it is. It didn't show up for me at first. I like it. If your BMs like it and can afford it, who cares what other people who don't have to wear it say?
  • I think that dress looks great. Not sure why people say it's ugly. 
    I don't think it's weird to take colour inspiration from a dress. I mean, you want everything to work together so it makes sense the dresses fit in. That being said, I think you could still have some lilac colours AND a lighter blue colour and it'll look great. 
  • Thanks everyone! I just needed outside validation because you guys will always be honest :) And yes it is within their budgets
  • A little belt on that would be adorable btw.
  • I personally would hate it, but that doesn't mean that it's hideous.

• I like the dress, and granted it won't be everyone's taste. Does the style of dress look good on all of your BM? Have them all try the dress on before setting up everything around the dress. I know for myself being a plus size girl with a long torso, I'm not sure I could pull this style off. Worse case scenario, you end up picking a solid colored dress and bring in the different colors with their flowers & accessories. There is nothing that says you can't use some fun colorful jewelry to add colors to a solid colored dress.
  • Erikan73 said:
    I like the dress, and granted it won't be everyone's taste. Does the style of dress look good on all of your BM? Have them all try the dress on before setting up everything around the dress. I know for myself being a plus size girl with a long torso, I'm not sure I could pull this style off. Worse case scenario, you end up picking a solid colored dress and bring in the different colors with their flowers & accessories. There is nothing that says you can't use some fun colorful jewelry to add colors to a solid colored dress.
    Or if it looks great on one BM, let her wear that one and then let the others pick out colors that coordinate. 
  • @Viczaesar Can you elaborate on why you hate it? I want honest opinions, especially if you hate it not just dislike it

@Erikan73 I definitely need to go to the store with all the girls to try it on before we make any decisions! :)
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think it's pretty.

I'm not big into low sweetheart necklines, so I would prefer to try it on first, but the rest of the style and pattern, I like.

You could still go with purples, if you want, and it will match. Purple is VERY easy to find in flowers, versus blue, but you could go either way. Check out purple lisianthus and blue delphinium.
  • edited July 2016
    Erikan73 said:
    I like the dress, and granted it won't be everyone's taste. Does the style of dress look good on all of your BM? Have them all try the dress on before setting up everything around the dress. I know for myself being a plus size girl with a long torso, I'm not sure I could pull this style off. Worse case scenario, you end up picking a solid colored dress and bring in the different colors with their flowers & accessories. There is nothing that says you can't use some fun colorful jewelry to add colors to a solid colored dress.
    Or if it looks great on one BM, let her wear that one and then let the others pick out colors that coordinate. 
    That's a great idea.

I wouldn't wear it because I'm self-conscious about my arms, but I think it's very pretty and a great guide for your palette.
  • ei34ei34 member
    I think it's pretty, very whimsical.  It doesn't scream BM dress, which I think is great- some of your BMs could re-wear it if it's their style.  And I think it's fine to take decor inspiration from a dress.  If it was the other way around (dressing your BMs to match/enhance your decor) I wouldn't be on board, since it'd feel like you were using them as props, but you're not doing this.  Sounds like it'll be a beautiful wedding.
  • I don't like due to being strapless, high low hem line and just the colours might wash me out. I'm not wearing it though. 
  • I think it's pretty, but I'm not a fan of strapless dresses.  I'm not sure the cut would look good on me.  But I like pretty floral dresses.

Either way, I don't think it's hideous in any objective sense.  If yours BMs like it, that's all that matters.  And if they're lying to you, well, then that's on them.

SaveSave
  • I love the dress.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • @Viczaesar Can you elaborate on why you hate it? I want honest opinions, especially if you hate it not just dislike it

@Erikan73 I definitely need to go to the store with all the girls to try it on before we make any decisions! :)
    I strongly dislike the pattern, don't wear strapless dresses, and hate the high/low hems.

• Viczaesar said:
    @Viczaesar Can you elaborate on why you hate it? I want honest opinions, especially if you hate it not just dislike it

I strongly dislike the pattern, don't wear strapless dresses, and hate the high/low hems.
    I feel the exact same way. I wouldn't be happy wearing that, but that doesn't mean your bridesmaids would be. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited July 2016
    I think the pattern is lovely.  I don't care for strapless dresses (comfort issue), but if your girls are OK with it, fine.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Viczaesar said:
    @Viczaesar Can you elaborate on why you hate it? I want honest opinions, especially if you hate it not just dislike it

I agree with Vic.  Not my fave, but not hideous.  It's better than the teal taffeta dress I had to wear, though. 
  • I think it's gorgeous
  • I didn't liked the color, it's boring. Whereas, I loved the neck and the pattern.
  • I love this dress and would wear it again. If they say they love it (and you don't think they're just telling you what you want to hear), go for it.

I think it's ok to get your color inspiration anywhere you want.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Even if your girls don't like the dress once they try it on, there is no reason you can't use it as your décor inspiration. Plenty of interior designers use fabric swatches as inspiration pieces. It will definitely help you branch off to other ideas.

I personally think it's a very pretty dress. I would wear it if asked. The only thing I'm iffy on is the high-low hem. I prefer short dresses, but the pattern and colors are very pretty.

• Thanks everyone for the input, I appreciate the honesty both for and against the dress! We'll have to all go to the store so they can all try it on to know for sure :)
  • Viczaesar said:

I agree with Vic.  Not my fave, but not hideous.  It's better than the teal taffeta dress I had to wear, though. 
    I agree with the above. I wouldn't call it hideous either.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards