Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

"At Last" for reception entrance?

My Fi loves this song and believes it describes us so well. I'm not a big fan of the song so I would prefer not to use it as our first song (and I REALLY don't want to use it for processional; that's a non-starter). Would it be weird to use it for our reception entrance? We wouldn't be going directly into our first dance. Instead, it could play when we enter and then we'd do our first dance after our table rounds during dinner.

Re: "At Last" for reception entrance?

• What would be weird? Enter to whatever song you like.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I like "At Last" as an entrance song.
  • My MOH said it was weird because reception entrance song should be upbeat to get people cheering. I just wanted to make sure she was wrong before I went for it.

Thanks for the responses!
  • "At Last" is a happy song, just not a traditionally upbeat one. 
  • I don't think it's weird, but wouldn't you prefer the entrance song to be something you both really like?
  • CMGragain said:
    Just be sure that you don't take too long with the photographer before your entrance.  You don't want your guests thinking, "At LAST!  About time they got here!" ;)
    Ba-dum-bum-Ching!
  • I think it's weird to have an entrance set to music and then not dance. 
  • Personally I think it's a little slow for an entrance song. Maybe you could use it for your last dance? 
  • Personally I think it's a little slow for an entrance song. Maybe you could use it for your last dance? 
    Yeah, that's the point my MOH made. She said it should be a faster, more upbeat song. We already have our last dance song picked out and we both love it.

Starmoon, that was my concern too, that it might be weird that we just walk in to it and then no one dances, but I'm just not a fan of that song (I think it's overdone, for starters) and don't want it as the first song, but it means so much to Fi so I want to incorporate it somewhere.

DowntonDiva I'm fine with this being our entrance song because it means a lot to Fi for it to be used somewhere.
  • You could just make sure that it is played at some point during the night and make sure you and your new H dance to it. Compromise in that you'll dance and have it played, but if you dislike it that much and there's no natural place for it so just have it be one of the slow songs during the night. 
  • Your entrance doesn't have to be "upbeat" in the party sense of the word.  It can be sweet and elegant, and At Last fits that description.  Just make sure if you're announcing people in addition to you, such as parents and/or wedding party - they don't have something like Sandstorm playing, that would be a little jarring to go from that to At Last!     "Mr. and Mrs. Glam Queen!"  *Your song starts, people applaud, you and hubby enter room, maybe smile wave or even a dip or twirl ... and find your seats, the song ends (or fades), and then onto the welcome, or toasts, or blessing or dinner.  Sounds lovely.   
  • Thank you everyone. All these responses have been helpful. Donethat, I love the idea of a dip or twirl and then song fades.
  • You can use any song. I am having a hard time finding a song I like to enter to.