Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Step-Father/ Daughter Songs??

My step dad has been basically the one who's raised me, along with my mom. My dad has been in my life but has not really been there if that makes any sense. I am having a father/daughter dance with him but I am also going to have a special dance with my step-father. I feel he is more than deserving of it. However, I am having trouble picking a song. I Love "My Little Girl" by Tim McGraw and songs like that but he hasn't been there since birth so the reference of "being swaddled in pink" or "loving her first" doesn't really fit..I was thinking of "The Girl You Think I Am" by Carrie Underwood but I'm still undecided.
Does anyone have any song suggestions? They'd be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks! 

Re: Step-Father/ Daughter Songs??

• Be mindful of your guests when it comes to spotlight dances.  No one is going to appreciate who you're dancing with and what they mean to you if you're going to have dance upon dance upon dance, and especially if these dances are the full-duration of the song.  Spotlight dances are pretty boring for the average spectator.

That being said, I'm not here to question who you dance with, or why, or for how long.  I am, admittedly, a little confused as to why you would have a father/daughter dance if your bio-dad hasn't been as large or as important a part of your life as your stepfather.  But I'm not here to judge, and I am aware that I have no knowledge or understanding of your relationship with your parents.  Just keep in mind that if your other guests don't understand the relationship you have with your father, they may also be confused as to why you're having a spotlight dance with him if you're closer to your stepfather.

I wouldn't worry about the lyrics to the songs.  My dad and I danced to "Fly Me to the Moon," which doesn't really have anything to do with fatherhood, but I picked it because it's the song I associate most with my father.  Go with what feels right, and if nothing does, let him pick a song.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• peachy13peachy13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2016
    As AtomicBlonde said, spotlight dances are usually really boring for most. If you plan to dance with both your father and your step-father, I would suggest maybe cutting down the song so that they're like 2 mins each.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited May 2016
    FW's father passed away shortly after we met (plus they had a complicated relationship, to put it mildly) and we both want to include our mothers, so we're doing a "family dance," where we can each dance with our mothers and my father. I'm also inviting my brother, SIL, nephew, and niece to join in. The song we chose is "Because You Loved Me," by Celine Dion, which I think is appropriate for any parent-child relationship.
  • :)  Family dance is a good idea.
  • I wouldn't worry so much about who is entertained by your wedding reception. I would select a song that reminds you of him and your relationship. Hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards