Wedding Party

Petal alternatives for flower girls?

We have two little girls from FI's family who are super excited to be flower girls (ages 6 and 7 if it matters). I'm not a huge fan of throwing flower petals on the ground, plus I'd rather not add stuff that will just need to be cleaned up so I'm looking at alternatives to petals. From Pinterest, I've found some that I think could be cute but would like opinions. Some ideas I've found are:

- holding a flower ball on a ribbon (pomander?)
- one or several helium balloons 
- a ribbon wand
- a lantern with either a fake candle or fairy lights inside. 

Opinions? Thoughts? Issues? Other alternatives?

(I don't want to do any signs.)

Thanks!

Re: Petal alternatives for flower girls?

• We weren't allowed to have petals tossed in the church, so that was a no go for us.  We had the girls each carry a small basket with flowers in them.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Not to be a traditionalist (I'm not always), but I think flower girls should have flowers.  Either a basket of flowers or a pomander would be nice.  I definitely don't like the idea of balloons going down an aisle...the ribbon wand would be my vote if not flowers.
  • I think pomanders, little flower crowns, or a basket of flowers would be sweet.
  • Thanks for the input everyone! I probably should have mentioned this before but we aren't having real flowers for any of the decorations. I'm making fabric flowers for everything (very pinterestry, but I like it and it saves money). So if we do get them something flowery, it would either be the fabric flowers I'm making or fake flowers. Does this change opinions? 
  • You could also just give them smaller bouquets.  Like the BMs but smaller scale.  The lanterns could be a cute idea as long as they aren't too heavy for them.

I would skip the ribbon wand on the instance a FG gets a little over zealous and either whacks the other FG or a guest sitting on the aisle!  I would also skip the balloons too.

Depending on your theme, I've seen people use pinwheels instead of flowers as well.  But I think it would still be fine to use either fake flowers or the ones you are making.

• Anything except the balloons. I can see those getting in the way.  Plus, they always seem to pop during the worst moments.  lol.  I'd be hesitant with the wands for the reasons OliveOilsMom mentioned.  I think the pomander, or the lanterns would look cute. 

• Lol, @levioosa I got a really funny image of a balloon popping right in the middle of the ceremony. 

Thanks for for everyone's input. I think I'm going to ask my FI and the flower girls/their parents about either lanterns (with fairy lights inside) or pomanders. 
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Pomander.

Smaller bouquet would work too. I think the lanterns would be cute.

• Ironring said:
    Lol, @levioosa I got a really funny image of a balloon popping right in the middle of the ceremony. 

Thanks for for everyone's input. I think I'm going to ask my FI and the flower girls/their parents about either lanterns (with fairy lights inside) or pomanders. 
    I don't know what it is with balloons, but they pop for literally no reason.  At my  high school, it was traditional for people to bring balloons to school to celebrate their friend's birthday.  Sometimes we would have ten or fifteen balloons in the back of the classroom.  And it never failed, we'd be in the middle of a lecture, or an exam, and one would just pop for no freaking reason at all.  So that was my first thought when you said balloons for the ceremony.  haha

• I'm making a smaller bouquet for my FG (my 6-year-old niece).
  • I'd also lean toward the pomander or small bouquet, even if it is with silk flowers.  The lanterns are also a cute idea.

I have to go on a slight tangent and mention my FG (my niece).  She was 5, at the time.  My mom asked her if she wanted to carry a basket of flower petals and toss them on the ground or if she wanted to carry a bouquet, like her mom and auntie.  She gave my mom a look of disdain and in a slightly exasperated tone said, "Grandma, I want flower petals.  THAT'S what flower girls are SUPPOSED to do!"

Lol, I can deal with comments like that from the two girls. Mostly they just want an opportunity be little princesses, which we can make happen. I was told that their older sister was a FG in a wedding about five years ago and her and another family member had to go back after the ceremony was over and pick up all of the petals off the floor of the church. So if anyone reminds them of this story, maybe they'll be happy to not have petals afterall. 

@levioosa who knows, maybe a balloon popping would be a perfect comic release during a particularly intense moment during the ceremony (I'm thinking of a wedding recently where the FG was holding the rings and dropped them, right in the middle of the vows and it made a huge noise but was super funny). 
  • My preference after thinking about it more and reading your comments would be small lanterns with a bunch of fairy lights inside. We will have those in other locations as decorations so it will kind of fit our "theme" (tongue in cheek because "lights and fake candles" is def not a theme). 

But I will check with them in case they have strong opinions about having flowers, in which case i will get them pomanders. 
  • I like the pomanders and/or small baskets of flowers idea.
  • Thanks everyone. I asked the mom who then asked the girls about a couple of the choices. Apparently their eyes bugged out of their head when they heard about the ribbon wands so I guess that's the one we are going with! 
    I mentioned the concern brought up above about hitting people with them and the mom said it should be ok but she will talk to them several times before the wedding. 
  • SP29 said:
    I can see why they'd like the ribbon wands. Sometimes I'd like a ribbon wand...
    Haha, I agree. My bouquet will have ribbons in it so I can possibly pretend it's a wand at some point during the day. 

I was warned that they might pretend to cast spells on people while walking down the aisle, which just sounds adorable and hilarious. 
  • It sounds like you've made a decision but, if you decide to make pomanders instead, make sure they're sturdy. My SD was 4 when my DH and I got married. I had a pomander with real flowers made for her and the darn ribbon came out and the ball of flowers fell to the ground as she was walking down the aisle. It was pretty upsetting for her. You shouldn't have that problem with faux flowers if you go that route though as they likely wouldn't weigh the pomander down as much.
  • I know you decided on wands but DD made a pomander out of silk/fabric flowers for her FG. It was very pretty and inexpensive.
  • I gave my flower girl a choice of bouquet, wrist corsage or flowers in her hair (or both) and she went for the wrist corsage.  Maybe ask her?
  • I gave my flower girl a choice of bouquet, wrist corsage or flowers in her hair (or both) and she went for the wrist corsage.  Maybe ask her?
    Yep, thanks. That was one of my updates. I asked the girls (via their mom) and ribbon wands were definitely the winner. Guess I should actually get around to making those one of these days...
  • Ironring said:
    I gave my flower girl a choice of bouquet, wrist corsage or flowers in her hair (or both) and she went for the wrist corsage.  Maybe ask her?
    Yep, thanks. That was one of my updates. I asked the girls (via their mom) and ribbon wands were definitely the winner. Guess I should actually get around to making those one of these days...
    Oriental Trading sells them, but I think you have to buy in quantity.
  • Ironring said:
    I gave my flower girl a choice of bouquet, wrist corsage or flowers in her hair (or both) and she went for the wrist corsage.  Maybe ask her?
    Oriental Trading sells them, but I think you have to buy in quantity.
    Good to know! Thanks! But I only have two to make and already have all of the supplies. I think it'll take max an hour. 
  • I know I'm late to comment on this, but I remember having ribbon wands when I was a kid--before Harry Potter, so they weren't wizard wands, maybe a fairy wand?  I don't remember what I did with them, but I know I loved them!  Glad you found something that works for the girls!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards