Chit Chat

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Anyone else waiting for this to arrive? I'm trying to avoid spoilers until my copy gets here! It's like 2007 all over again. 

Re: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

• I'm waiting for mine.
  • I almost bought it yesterday, but decided to wait.  Anna Karenina is getting the in the way of reading Harry Potter at the moment.  Too far in to quit, not far enough to get through it faster

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I didn't order a copy, but I will definitely be picking it up!

I know it's not supposed to be an 8th HP book, but it's still exciting.
  • I bought mine last night, read through about 100 pages so far. It's really good!!!
  • ei34ei34 member
    I worked at a Barnes & Noble through college and a bit of grad school, and any mention of Harry Potter brings me back to the crazy midnight release parties and not getting home until 3 or 4 in the morning.  I love the zeal and passion HP fans have.
  • My copy should arrive today, so excited! The snapchat filter the other day definitely helped my hype. 
  • I just got notified that my copy isn't being sent until FRIDAY! Second day air so it's going to be Tuesday before I get it. IDK where my FI bought it, but he needs to never buy from them again.
  • Bummer! Mine is supposed to arrive by 8pm tonight 
  • Mine arrived after I left for Miami.  Womp womp.

I'm not sure I'm excited about it.  I grew up with Harry--literally, I was 11 when I read the first book--and I kind of feel like the HP world closed for me when I finished Book 7.  Up to that point, I reread every book multiple times per year, but I haven't opened the series since I finished HPatDH.

I felt like I lost my best friends when the series ended, and the wound is still too fresh for me to want to re-enter the world.  Innocence has been lost, which really should be compelling me to read it because Harry grew up and so did I, but I'm also afraid the magic won't be there anymore...

Apparently, I think about books waaaaaaaay too much.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• I reread them at least once a year, @AtomicBlonde and may have cried when I finished the last one so I totally understand the feeling. I almost didn't pre-order it because I was worried it wouldn't be as good, but all of the reviewers that I read said it really was worth it. 

Mine me just arrived and it's taking all of my self control to keep working and not read it. 
  • I've seen terrible reviews for it. I still want to read it though. If I don't get it until Tuesday that leaves only two evenings to read since I go back to school next Thursday. Boo.
  • I read it yesterday and loved it. Going in knowing it's a play and not a regular book helped me.

I heard the reviews were bad, but that didn't stop me. Although, I normally like/love what others don't.
  • I am on the fence about ordering it. On the one hand: Harry Potter (yay!!!!). On the other hand, it's a screenplay and I'm not sure how I feel about reading a screenplay vs. a book.
  • I'm rewarding myself by getting it this weekend IF I do all the items on my to-do list this week. I am then not allowing myself to read it until my vacation in September.
  • @sparklepants41 I am reading it at the moment and I must say I hardly notice that it is a screen play. It reads nicely and am enjoying it so far! 
  • @Greenjinjo that's very reassuring! I may just have to order it :-)
  • If I had known it was going to take this long to come in, I would have just downloaded it. Then again, I didn't buy it, my FI did for my birthday. For some reason he didn't buy through Amazon so that explains why I don't have my damn book!
  • @sparklepants41 I am reading it at the moment and I must say I hardly notice that it is a screen play. It reads nicely and am enjoying it so far! 
    I just finished the first act, and I agree; you hardly notice it's a screen play. I'm really enjoying it as well. 
  • edited August 2016
    I really liked it! 

For those who don't think they can reopen the HP world, I actually think it's a really nice flash into the future and that dark magic still lingers a bit. 

For those who were worried bc it's a script not a novel, I actually really enjoyed reading it as one. It was a faster read and let you use your imagination for a lot / I just pictured the movie characters, so it didn't ruin anything for me. 

A few things I wasn't a BIG fan of - but are we doing spoilers in this post??
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • I really liked it! 

For those who don't think they can reopen the HP world, I actually think it's a really nice flash into the future and that dark magic still lingers a bit. 

For those who were worried bc it's a script not a novel, I actually really enjoyed reading it as one. It was a faster read and let you use your imagination for a lot / I just pictured the movie characters, so it didn't ruin anything for me. 

A few things I wasn't a BIG fan of - but are we doing spoilers in this post??
    Please not yet. 
  • Ok not yet, but I finished it too and need/want to talk about it!
  • SP29SP29 member
    No spoilers yet! May I suggest a separate thread to discuss the book so the rest of us know there will be spoilers?
  • I'm still in Miami and haven't even had a chance to touch the book!!!!! Waaaaah! 

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• SP29 said:
    No spoilers yet! May I suggest a separate thread to discuss the book so the rest of us know there will be spoilers?
    Great idea. Will do. 
  • Thank you for no spoilers!!  I'm are trying hard to get through stupid Anna Karenina and on to HP, but it's a slog.  Avoiding the other thread, but I really want to read it now

• I got it and read the whole thing in one day! Love Harry Potter!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards