Wedding Reception Forum

Wedding celebration ideas after destination wedding

We are thinking about having a wedding celebration after we return home from our destination wedding. That way, we can celebrate with extended family and friends. However, we do not really care for dancing and we also will not be serving alcohol. What are some ideas for guests at these celebrations so they are not bored --- we can provide dancing/DJ anyway but other than that?

Re: Wedding celebration ideas after destination wedding

• edited August 2016
    We are thinking about having a wedding celebration after we return home from our destination wedding. That way, we can celebrate with extended family and friends. However, we do not really care for dancing and we also will not be serving alcohol. What are some ideas for guests at these celebrations so they are not bored --- we can provide dancing/DJ anyway but other than that?

What do you normally do at parties you host?  Also, where are you hosting this event, that can help narrow down activities?

One idea is a strolling station dinner instead of a seated or buffet, that way guests can mingle and snack instead of sitting for an hour with nothing to do after.

Edited to clarify:  you still need a chair and a table for each person, but an interactive station is more activity driven than a traditional seated dinner.
  • If you want to throw a simple get-together after you return home, like a backyard picnic or a casual party, that's fine.

But I would definitely refrain from any elements that would turn it into a PPD. So, no reenacting the ceremony, wearing a bridal gown, cake-cutting, or gift registries.

• Thanks guys! I never thought of the open house either. We definitely don't want a "typical" wedding reception but more of a time to just celebrate with friends, show our wedding photos, and say goodbye as we are also moving several states away. 

This would probably be in a big room at our church or at someone's house thats a little bigger than ours. 
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Depends on what you want- nothing wrong with having a party, even a lavish one, as long as you aren't trying to re-create your wedding.

Since you say you may do this at your church, or someone's house, I would proceed with the party as any other party. Food, beverages, tables and chairs. Mingle. You can definitely play music. I'd go less DJ, more set up a playlist on your iPOD. You could have games/cards available, if people want to play, but you really don't need to worry about trying to amuse people.

Doing an open house would leave things much more casual, with guests coming and going as suits them. I do like the idea of buffet stations.
  • Thanks guys! I never thought of the open house either. We definitely don't want a "typical" wedding reception but more of a time to just celebrate with friends, show our wedding photos, and say goodbye as we are also moving several states away. 

This would probably be in a big room at our church or at someone's house thats a little bigger than ours. 
    I would suggest just having a farewell party with food and music and a casual atmosphere. Have your wedding album somewhere nearby, and recap your wedding to those who ask, but don't do anything wedding-related beyond that (no cake-cutting, no wedding dress, no spotlight dance, definitely no card box, etc.).

I attended a DW two years ago in a different country and there was an at-home reception a few weeks later. The AHR included everything wedding-related... wedding party entrances, a slideshow from the DW, toasts from the BM, MOH, and father of the bride, spotlight dances, cake cutting, garter toss, and of course a gift table and card box. The worst thing was though was the guest list. Everyone who attended the DW was also at the AHR, so we were witnessing everything again for the second time. And then there were people who weren't invited to the DW but who were invited to the AHR. It seemed like a slap in the face to those folks because the whole thing screamed yeah we didn't want you at the real one but now we're home so why don't you come party with us and give us a gift too please? The AHR was poorly hosted, with not enough seats for everyone and no dinner. Just passed apps and a cash bar. It fucking sucked. Everyone was pissed. The people who attended both things (me and DH were two of them) were just wondering what the point of going to the DW was, and the people who were only invited to the AHR felt used just for a wedding present. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• We are thinking about having a wedding celebration after we return home from our destination wedding. That way, we can celebrate with extended family and friends. However, we do not really care for dancing and we also will not be serving alcohol. What are some ideas for guests at these celebrations so they are not bored --- we can provide dancing/DJ anyway but other than that?

There is nothing wrong wit having a party, but it will not be a part of your wedding.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I know this post is old but incase your still looking for ideas

I'm going to do the same thing. I live with my fiancée in Paris. So were having the wedding itself here and then will head home to have a 'celebration' of the wedding with my family and friends who couldn't make it. Its expensive to travel and in our case at least I want some of my culture to be part of the experience. So I'm trying to decide on the venue now but I'm hoping to have an outside long lazy lunch. With ipod music and possible speech or two to thank people who made the journey and thought who couldn't. We are inviting everyone to both events so there might be some double up but I think thats ok. Its super hard to look for venue from a distance. My mum helps but its hard to know what will work from photos.

I do agree that it shouldn't be a second wedding - although I do know some other international couples like us who have done both. Especially if your families are of different religions it gives the opportunity to have both religious blessings one are each event. I'm just trying to reduce the stress but not planing two full weddings.

Another idea a friend of mine did was have a really big engagement party before the destination wedding in Sri Lanka. gave people who knew they couldn't go an opportunity to give gifts and celebrate.

Hope it helps if your still thinking about it.