Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Wedding nails

What are some trends for nails? I need both my hands and feet done, since I'll be wearing a dress sandal. I want something simple and it will be my real nails. I almost never get a manicure, so I'm looking for advice.

Re: Wedding nails

• If you don't regularly get your nails done, I would encourage something neutral or clear for your hands and then whatever colour you like for your toes.
  • edited June 2016
    You can never go wrong with a French manicure/pedicure. Your manicurist can adjust the base color for your skin tone (peach if it's warm, pink if it's cool, deeper for darker skin tones).
  • On another thread somebody suggested doing your toes blue if you don't already have your "something blue" figured out. Pretty sure I'm stealing that idea. For my hands I'm just keeping it simple: a clear glitter polish. If it chips a bit or whatever, it will be hard to notice, and it will compliment a white dress easily. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I like shellac manicured for my hands because they last much longer than a traditional manicure. Just pick out a color you like. 
  • Just got my nails for wedding done last night! I've never gotten a manicure or pedicure before, so had no idea what I wanted to do either! I looked up wedding nails on Pinterest, saved a few pics, and just showed the nail artist my ideas. There are tons of ideas for designs on Pinterest! I got gel because I've heard it lasts longer. They are my real nails just with lots of coats of polish over top.
  • On another thread somebody suggested doing your toes blue if you don't already have your "something blue" figured out. Pretty sure I'm stealing that idea. For my hands I'm just keeping it simple: a clear glitter polish. If it chips a bit or whatever, it will be hard to notice, and it will compliment a white dress easily. 

That's what my something blue was, I used Dream by Zoya on my toes and I wrote two custom polishes from friends who run amazing indie polish brands made for me. They also accidentally named the polishes the same thing, a play on my name, which I really liked. One was a purple holo that I requested to match my purple shoes and bouquet (my only guideline to my friend was "purple and sparkly, I wanna be glitzy as fuck") and the other was a white crelly with light purple and pink glitters, so I did an accent nail with the white and stamped a knot-ish design over it. It was perfect.
  • My toes were my something blue, and I had a French manicure on my hands.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • A nude/cream color or very very pale pink (almost white) always looks good on brides.
    --

• I'm undecided myself.  I want to do a pearly opaque color or a french mani but want some bling/crystals to it.  It WILL be shellac for sure.  

• Last time I had a mani-pedi, I got pale pink on my fingernails and bright red on my toenails. Any two high-contrast colors would work, depending upon your coloring.
  • You can't go wrong with a classic French mani/pedi, especially if don't normally wear bolder colors. If you normally wear bolder colors, this is a fun way to add a punch of color to your outfit
  • Erikan73 said:
    You can't go wrong with a classic French mani/pedi, especially if don't normally wear bolder colors. If you normally wear bolder colors, this is a fun way to add a punch of color to your outfit
    Yep.   That is what I did.  I do not get mani often and bold colors end up bothering me.

I do get pedis with bold colors, but for the wedding I stuck with a french mani.    

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I was growing my nails in order to get a shellac French mani but they keep breaking so I'm getting an acrylic French mani and shellac pedi in a hot red/pink/ fucshia type colour. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Sherbie25 said:
    I was growing my nails in order to get a shellac French mani but they keep breaking so I'm getting an acrylic French mani and shellac pedi in a hot red/pink/ fucshia type colour. 

SITB, stupid mobile site

This is a weird question, but would you considering gel nails, either polish or extensions that way? I only ask because from all the time I've spent in the nail polish community, the vast majority of posts that start with "help me, my nails are destroyed" include the words "I got acrylics". They really do screw up. Your natural nails and if you're not planning on keeping them you may regret all the damage you have to spend 6 months growing out. 

Short nails can look sophisticated or cool or have fun designs and nail art :) 
  • Sherbie25 said:
    I was growing my nails in order to get a shellac French mani but they keep breaking so I'm getting an acrylic French mani and shellac pedi in a hot red/pink/ fucshia type colour. 

SITB, stupid mobile site

This is a weird question, but would you considering gel nails, either polish or extensions that way? I only ask because from all the time I've spent in the nail polish community, the vast majority of posts that start with "help me, my nails are destroyed" include the words "I got acrylics". They really do screw up. Your natural nails and if you're not planning on keeping them you may regret all the damage you have to spend 6 months growing out. 

I'm still in 2 minds. My nails don't take that long to grow and I'm not getting them done for another 10 days, so I'll re-evaluate then. My wedding isn't until a week after I get my nails done so I'm worried about the gel not lasting until then :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited August 2016
    Sherbie25 said:
    Sherbie25 said:

SITB, stupid mobile site

I'm still in 2 minds. My nails don't take that long to grow and I'm not getting them done for another 10 days, so I'll re-evaluate then. My wedding isn't until a week after I get my nails done so I'm worried about the gel not lasting until then :)
    I've not got gel nails done (I have 800+ bottles of polish, I change my nails daily so I can't justify investing in a lamp/gel polish) but my mom and some friends have had gel nails and they're constantly telling me how great it is because they last for 2+ weeks, so you'd be good time-wise if you do decide to forego acrylics. I got acrylics done once before and one broke hours before my event (which was 3 days after I had them done) and it took months (closer to a year) for the damage to grow out, which is why I usually try and suggest alternatives. And if you're not used to longer nails and want acrylic extensions it can be a bit of a learning curve on how to function with your new talons, that's for sure :tongue:

I'm sure you'll love whatever you end up choosing, of course :)
  • Im a fan of shellac.  No damage to the nails and if you get a person who really knows what they're doing (like mine!) it can last 3+ weeks!  I mean, they grow out, which look weird but I'm to lazy to care about the growth.  If I get a light color, I can go 3 weeks without changing it. 

• Im a fan of shellac.  No damage to the nails and if you get a person who really knows what they're doing (like mine!) it can last 3+ weeks!  I mean, they grow out, which look weird but I'm to lazy to care about the growth.  If I get a light color, I can go 3 weeks without changing it. 

SITB 

My favorite way to hide the growth is glitter. You can give yourself a ruffian manicure weeks after you get the original polish and it give you an extra week or so of wear time. 
  • Late to the conversation, but something that is different andlooks awesome (imho) is lace nails.

Here is an example https://www.lifestyle.com.au/style/how-to-do-lace-nail-art.aspx
  • That looks so cool, @ahyatt87! Definitely not a DIY project, but if you have a knowledgeable manicurist, why not?
  • That looks so cool, @ahyatt87! Definitely not a DIY project, but if you have a knowledgeable manicurist, why not?
    You can definitely DIY lace nails, I have a few stamping plates with some really beautiful lace designs. Doing the design in that article is a bit more involved but also still 100% DIY-able, just requires some patience and care.

I can share some lace stamps that I love, they're super easy to use and the tools are relatively cheap (just bought a new clear stamper off eBay for $2.99, but if you don't want to wait a month for it to arrive they run ~$10 on nail art sites) and the learning curve isn't that steep.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards