Moms and Maids

BM gifts - Is this bad?

FI and I have been engaged since November 2014 and are getting married in October this year. In March of 2015 I asked my 3 sisters and my best friend to be my bridesmaids. I didn't know that it was best to wait closer to the wedding to ask, but luckily for me we've had no issues.

The issue is that as soon as they accepted I started keeping my eye out for gifts for them. I had planned to shop for them individually and get them things like I would get them for birthdays or Christmas. I knew that I had been picked up a few of the same things for all 4 of them, however, over the weekend I realized that they all have the same gifts.

Here is what I've ended up with:
  • Eye shadow palates. Usually I buy them something like this at Christmas time each year and it is always a hit.

• Make up bag with matching pocket mirror. This was going to be one for one sister then I realized, I have traveled with all 4 of these girls and they all keep their make up in zip lock freezer bags.

• "Adult" coloring book. One of my sisters is obsessed with Justin Timberlake and I found a site that sells JT coloring books. The site had other silly coloring(The Office, Arrested Development, Boy Bands of the 90's) books that fit each BMs tastes, I couldn't resist.

• Necklaces with each BM first initial. I was only going to get this for one sister because she had been saying she wanted a "delicate" necklace for a very long time.  Two of my other sisters saw it at my house and instantly thought I had gotten them for all of them and were super excited.... so I quickly ordered 3 more... I am not asking them or expecting them to wear this on the wedding day.
I want to do something to make it more personalized for each one, but it is really difficult because they are all similar. One of my sisters is really difficult to shop for, so, I thought about just getting her a Starbucks gift card. But then thinking about it, I thought I should just get them each gift cards to places they like... But where is some place they like, what would make sense... and then it hit me, they ALL love Target, we always talk about all of our shared love of Target... 

Would it be awful if I just got them all gift cards to Target to finish off the gifts?

Re: BM gifts - Is this bad?

• Personally, I don't see a problem with this. But if you're worrying about personalizing their gifts, the gift card may be the best place to do that. It does seem like you personalized the coloring books. 
    Im probably going the same route as you. Getting similar things, but personalizing the items. 
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think what you've picked out is more than fine. Sounds like you've personalized the similar items to each person.

I did something similar. Both my MOH and BM like books, so I got them each a different book. I did buy jewelry for both (that they were not required to wear for the wedding), but very different pieces. BM received a necklace and earring set, simple and delicate, where as MOH received a necklace that was a bold statement piece. MOH likes wine, so I got her two bottles. BM is less into wine but likes hard liquor/mixes so I got her a bottle of something (I can't remember what now).

Agree that a gift card would be a good way to go if you know there is somewhere they like to shop.
  • I think this sounds good. 

My SIL did something similar; she bought us all the best flip-flips in the world (seriously the Sanuk yoga mat flip flops are the greatest) in our favorite colors then she got is each make-up bags with phrases that match our personality then some beauty products that were personalized; so again all similar but personal. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    That's fine.  My MOHs and BM all had sort of the same gift, just tailored to their personal taste: a bottle of their favorite wine, and a few gift cards to their favorite restaurants.  That's what I get them for birthdays and Christmas.  Similar is fine as long as it's personal and something you know they'll love.

• edited August 2016
    dyerwise said:
    Thanks all!!

I mentioned this to a co-worker at lunch today and she suggested I hold on to everything for their actual birthdays and Christmas and get them wedding related gifts because "that's what wedding gifts are for". She suggested matching tote bags with BRIDESMAID on them, or matching tank tops.

:neutral:
    Vomit. No, you have the right idea.

Your gifts sound lovely. I agree with @PaperTigersx about customizing the gift cards: iTunes for the Justin Timberlake fan, fancy grocery for someone who likes to cook, Barnes and Noble for an avid reader, etc.

ETA: If they all love Target, you can't go wrong with Target gift cards!
  • dyerwise said:
    Thanks all!!

I mentioned this to a co-worker at lunch today and she suggested I hold on to everything for their actual birthdays and Christmas and get them wedding related gifts because "that's what wedding gifts are for". She suggested matching tote bags with BRIDESMAID on them, or matching tank tops.

Your co-worker is nuts! Go with your original ideas which were great!
  • dyerwise said:
    Thanks all!!

Also, when in the history of ever has someone said, "Wow, I am so glad I got a BM tote!  Can you imagine if I had gotten eye shadow palates for Christmas, my birthday, AND the wedding?! I'd way rather have this tote and the matching tank top I'll never wear again!"

Disclaimer: I own way too many eyeshadow palates.  And Urban Decay just told me today they are coming out with a Naked Matte palate. Which I'll of course have to buy. Duh. Those assholes.  

• levioosa said:
    dyerwise said:
    Thanks all!!

Also, when in the history of ever has someone said, "Wow, I am so glad I got a BM tote!  Can you imagine if I had gotten eye shadow palates for Christmas, my birthday, AND the wedding?! I'd way rather have this tote and the matching tank top I'll never wear again!"

Disclaimer: I own way too many eyeshadow palates.  And Urban Decay just told me today they are coming out with a Naked Matte palate. Which I'll of course have to buy. Duh. Those assholes.  
    I'm a make-up addict! I have way more palettes than I need but have trouble controlling myself and not buying more!
  • What is this website that has all the specialty coloring books?  I need to check that out.
  • missfrodo said:
    What is this website that has all the specialty coloring books?  I need to check that out.
    So much this.  Off to Google "Arrested Development coloring book."
  • The website is teamart.ca They have both full size and mini sized coloring books. I love the Hunk Dudes and Funny Ladies. I'll be ordering those for myself soon.

• dyerwise said:
    The website is teamart.ca They have both full size and mini sized coloring books. I love the Hunk Dudes and Funny Ladies. I'll be ordering those for myself soon.

That's so great!  The sketches are very good, too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards