Chit Chat

Birth Control

6 years ago I started trying to find a birth control pill that would work for me. Over the course of a year I tried 3 different pills and I always had the worst side effects. Migraines, overwhelming nausea, light sensitivity, ingestion, spotting the entire time, extremely emotional, etc. I had never had any of these problems before taking BC.

My doctor recommended an IUD and since both of my other sisters had them with no side effects I decided to try it out. It ended up being the worst decision.  I had it for 6 weeks and I lost around 50% of my hair, I had migraines so bad I couldn't get out of bed, I was super depressed and cried constantly. I noticed my hair falling out during the first week and called my doctor, she said that wasn't a side effect of the IUD and that everyone looses hair. I kept her up to date on my side effects but she never seemed too worried about it. I went in at 6 weeks and the moment she saw me she apologized for not listening to me and told me we would removed the IUD the next day because I looked so horrible. I stopped seeing this doctor after that.

After that I stayed away from BC for a few years, but then decided to give BC another try. 

I was prescribed Lutera and right away it was amazing. I never felt sick or moody. I never had spotting, nausea, or headaches. I took it for 3 months straight and then would have my period and then go another 3 months. It was the best.

Then last May I went to pick up my refill and I noticed the packaging was different. I asked why and the Pharmacist told me Lutera was no longer being made and this was its replacement. I was told it was identical and I shouldn't notice any difference.

Well of course, I did. The first day I started feeling nauseous, moody, and tired. I gave it a month and I felt awful every day. I felt more tired, sad, and ran down as each day went on so I stopped taking it.

I went to my doctor last week and told her I had stopped taking it and she said they should have been identical and then prescribed me another generic version of Lutera.  I took it last night and this morning I felt nauseous.

Has anyone had sensitivity to BC? if so has brand/kind of BC worked for you more than others?

Have you ever had a change in generic BC and noticed a difference?

Re: Birth Control

• I took Seasonique before TTC. The pharmacy gave me Amethia. It wasn't too bad, but I could definitely notice a difference. 
  • What iud did you have? if you're that sensitive to hormones try the non hormonal iud paragard. Literally no hormones. 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • I'm so sorry.  I know the struggle.  I've had horrific reactions with all sorts of BCP.  I don't want to try IUD because I'm scared that something more invasive will create problems that will be more painful and annoying to fix.  I'm currently on viorele, and while I think I've gained some weight and I can't lose it (which has been a pretty big deal to me), otherwise I've had good periods, my emotions are even, and I'm not nauseous.  And I don't like condoms, so the extra weight it is.  

• second what kind of iud did you have? i had really bad side effects with all forms of BC except iuds and am now on my second one.
  • I'm also on a copper IUD, so no hormones for me.  I used to use Ortho tri-cyclen, but didn't have any problems with it myself

• I had the mirena IUD. I was thinking of trying the hormone free IUDs, but I was worried about spotting. I had heavy spotting the entire time I had the mirena and didn't know if that was from the hormones or what. I'm guessing now probably the hormones.

• I do have minor spotting on the copper IUD, which I have never had before.  But it hasn't been a big deal for me.  Maybe 1-2 days before I start, and nothing a pantyliner can't handle

• I use Prentiss, which is a "generic" form of Seasonique or Seasonall.  I put quotes around generic, because it is still expensive.  I need to figure out how to get my insurance to pay for it.  I recently found out they are supposed to.

I really like it, but then I've also never had adverse reactions to BC.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I use Prentiss, which is a "generic" form of Seasonique or Seasonall.  I put quotes around generic, because it is still expensive.  I need to figure out how to get my insurance to pay for it.  I recently found out they are supposed to.

Your insurance hasn't been covering your BCP?! That is some bullshit.  

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I've never actually been on birth control so I can't weigh in, but just sharing my feelings of empathy at the terrible side effects some of you have experienced. Such a freaking drag!
  • levioosa said:

I use Prentiss, which is a "generic" form of Seasonique or Seasonall.  I put quotes around generic, because it is still expensive.  I need to figure out how to get my insurance to pay for it.  I recently found out they are supposed to.

Your insurance hasn't been covering your BCP?! That is some bullshit.  

It's one of those high PPO plans where they don't pay for jack anyway until I've hit like $5K out of pocket (except for my annual wellness visit).  So I didn't even realize until recently that BCP is one of the exceptions, like the annual wellness visit.

Not that I'm complaining about a common prescription like BCP having insurance companies be forced to pay for it.  However the irony of having to pay out-of-pocket for insulin...that keeps me from DYING in 1-2 weeks time...but BCP is a freebie (or supposed to be), is not lost on me.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had a serious reaction to a switch from one generic to another generic of the type of BCP. Companies only have to have the same active ingredients but can change the other components.

• How much does it cost for BCP on average over in the states? A years worth for me of Ava 20 is $50.
  • How much does it cost for BCP on average over in the states? A years worth for me of Ava 20 is $50.
    I don't pay a cent for my Minastrin since the Affordable Health Care Act took over. Before that, I paid $48 a year. The cost is covered by insurance.

I don't pay a cent for my Minastrin since the Affordable Health Care Act took over. Before that, I paid $48 a year. The cost is covered by insurance.
    My seasonique was no charge to me, but before AHCA it was $45 per 3 month prescription.
  • I'm sorry you had such horrible side effects. My body also didn't adjust well to the hormonal effects of the BCP, so for years (until TTC) I used a diaphragm and was happy with it.  You get fitted for it by your gyno who writes a "prescription" which is filled by the pharmacy. You get your diaphragm in a little plastic box, buy spermacide and each time before inserting it put a little spermacide on the rim and a blob in the middle.  If you're used to inserting tampons, the diaphragm is not too difficult but it's recommended you use a condom the first couple of times for back-up.  You can feel if it's inserted correctly.  The diaphragm last for a couple of years; you should get re-fitted if you gain or lose 10+lb.  Feel free to PM me with questions if it's something you're considering.
  • I'm sensitive to oral medicine; Nyquil will knock me out for a solid 12 hours, so as you can imagine oral BC was the same.

I've used Nuvaring for 7 years now and I love it.  Pre ACA it was $140/month (I have an HSA).  Post BCBS losing the lawsuit claiming non-generics shouldn't be covered, it's free.
  • When I was taking BC, I had been on Loestrin. Then, at some point, the doctor switched me over to the generic form. It did not sit well with me at all. When I would go to start my next round of pills following my placebo week, I'd have spells where I'd start to black out. I got lightheaded and nauseous. After a few cycles of realizing it was tied to starting up my next pill pack, I asked the doctor to be switched back. I was then back to my normal self.

A year ago they stopped making the Loestrin formula I took and apparently re-marketed it under another name. I had no issues with the new brand, as long as I got the brand name and not the generic.

• I also have the copper IUD. Sure the periods are heavier and annoying and I dislike my non-hormonal skin (oilier and acne), but it's otherwise fine. I never have any spotting and my cycle is really really predictable.

I'd been on hormonal birth control since I was like 14 so I had no idea what to expect. But I tolerated every pill and the ring and basically everything except Mirena really well.

But jesus, OP, this is a lot to go through. Do you want kids in the future? I'd be pushing hard for a vasectomy for H if I were in your shoes. Hell, I'm pushing H for a vasectomy now with zero side effects.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I'm one of the lucky ones and had zero issues, however a friend of mine had lots of issues with various things and took Evra - which is the birth control patch. She said her issues with other pills weren't worth the hassle and patch was best.
  • My BCP was covered under insurance back when I was on it.  But I have to pay for my IUD (not the Dr. visit, just the device).  My insurance requires a DIN (Drug Id Number) to cover prescriptions, which my IUD has, but since it's not actually a drug, they won't cover it.  It's about $200 for the 3 years it lasts, but I lucky have HSA that I put it on.  

• My BCP was covered under insurance back when I was on it.  But I have to pay for my IUD (not the Dr. visit, just the device).  My insurance requires a DIN (Drug Id Number) to cover prescriptions, which my IUD has, but since it's not actually a drug, they won't cover it.  It's about $200 for the 3 years it lasts, but I lucky have HSA that I put it on.  
    Interesting. When I got my IUD a couple years ago now I had to pay for the device too and about six months later I received a full refund from my doctor's office for the cost because my insurance ultimately paid for it. I definitely don't understand why there are soooo many variations between coverages...I thought under the the ACA (like others have said) that pretty much all forms of birth control are covered (including devices like IUDs).

Another copper user here btw. My periods were pretty heavy at first, especially compared to my periods on the pill, although I never had any spotting. They've pretty much regulated and now the only difference I notice is that my heavy day is somewhat heavier than I think it would be normally, but nothing crazy.

• labro said:
    My BCP was covered under insurance back when I was on it.  But I have to pay for my IUD (not the Dr. visit, just the device).  My insurance requires a DIN (Drug Id Number) to cover prescriptions, which my IUD has, but since it's not actually a drug, they won't cover it.  It's about $200 for the 3 years it lasts, but I lucky have HSA that I put it on.  
    Interesting. When I got my IUD a couple years ago now I had to pay for the device too and about six months later I received a full refund from my doctor's office for the cost because my insurance ultimately paid for it. I definitely don't understand why there are soooo many variations between coverages...I thought under the the ACA (like others have said) that pretty much all forms of birth control are covered (including devices like IUDs).

Another copper user here btw. My periods were pretty heavy at first, especially compared to my periods on the pill, although I never had any spotting. They've pretty much regulated and now the only difference I notice is that my heavy day is somewhat heavier than I think it would be normally, but nothing crazy.
    Not sure what the ACA is, but I'm up in Canada, so my secondary work insurance is the coverage for BC.  They were funny too about my BCP.  I had some weird maximum that if I got 3 months at once, I paid ~$8, but if I got 1 month at a time it was free, so I just had to go get them every month to not pay 

• edited August 2016
    labro said:

Do you know if this includes vasectomies?

eta - never mind. I looked it up. It's not covered, but it does cover tubal ligation. That's nuts to me. It's such a simple procedure for the men, but that's not covered??

WinstonsGirl said:
    Not sure what the ACA is, but I'm up in Canada, so my secondary work insurance is the coverage for BC.  They were funny too about my BCP.  I had some weird maximum that if I got 3 months at once, I paid ~$8, but if I got 1 month at a time it was free, so I just had to go get them every month to not pay 
    IT's the Affordable Care Act also colloquially known as Obamacare. 
  • I also have the copper IUD. Sure the periods are heavier and annoying and I dislike my non-hormonal skin (oilier and acne), but it's otherwise fine. I never have any spotting and my cycle is really really predictable.

I'd been on hormonal birth control since I was like 14 so I had no idea what to expect. But I tolerated every pill and the ring and basically everything except Mirena really well.

But jesus, OP, this is a lot to go through. Do you want kids in the future? I'd be pushing hard for a vasectomy for H if I were in your shoes. Hell, I'm pushing H for a vasectomy now with zero side effects.

Our current plan is to have kids. Although sometimes we second guess ourselves. Do we want kids because we actually want kids or because we just kind of always thought we'd have kids? Then we see my nieces and nephew's and just melt and think OF COURSE WE DO. Then I have to walk the dog after a too long day at work and think omg what if this was a baby. You know?

As funny as it sounds I'd like to being BC less for birth control and more for the benefits of it lightening/shortening my periods. My periods are horrible. 6-8 heavy days and cramps like every organ is trying to escape from my body. I've seen doctors and had ultrasounds done but everything checks out. So I guess I'm just lucky.

I think after our wedding in October I may try the ring. Since we are so close to our wedding I'm sort of nervous to try anything too new and have all my hair fall out again.

It is nice to know others have had problems switching to generics because I was starting to feel crazy.

• I was on Mirena for 5 years and when I was getting ready to get a new one my doctor recommended the Liletta, which is a generic but made by a nonprofit company, which I liked! totally covered by ACA. uncomfortable, but easy swapping out the two and super happy with both!
  • MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2016
    I get migraines with aura so I'm pretty limited when it comes to BC. In 2012 I was on the mini pill for a few months (Jovilette?) oh god my mood swings were crazy. I was the biggest jerk to my FH. I was just so mean to him and didn't feel like myself so I stopped and didn't use anything else.
    My only other choice was an IUD and I wanted one any way so I just got a mirena IUD a few weeks ago, never had a kid so the procedure HURT LIKE A MOFO (that's how contractions feel like?! Should I even have kids?!). Some side effects are still there but they're slowly going away. So far so good!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Click here for quick info about birth and the ACA. It's always best to call your insurance company and ask them if your specific BC method is covered under your plan.

As for myself - I've been on some version of the pill since I was 18. I tried the Mirena last August, mainly because I didn't want to keep taking a pill, and it didn't work for me. I had cramps almost every single day, the spotting was pretty much continuous, and some sexual positions were painful. I kept it until May of this year when I couldn't take it any longer. My doctor tried having me take BC pills and the Mirena but I still had pretty bad cramping and pain, along with spotting so out it came.

I'm on Lo-Loestrin now and have no issues. Completely covered by insurance.

My Prentiss is one of those that is supposed to be taken for three months consecutively and then a one week break for the period.

It is $152 (3 months).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • dyerwise said:

I also have the copper IUD. Sure the periods are heavier and annoying and I dislike my non-hormonal skin (oilier and acne), but it's otherwise fine. I never have any spotting and my cycle is really really predictable.

Our current plan is to have kids. Although sometimes we second guess ourselves. Do we want kids because we actually want kids or because we just kind of always thought we'd have kids? Then we see my nieces and nephew's and just melt and think OF COURSE WE DO. Then I have to walk the dog after a too long day at work and think omg what if this was a baby. You know?

As funny as it sounds I'd like to being BC less for birth control and more for the benefits of it lightening/shortening my periods. My periods are horrible. 6-8 heavy days and cramps like every organ is trying to escape from my body. I've seen doctors and had ultrasounds done but everything checks out. So I guess I'm just lucky.

I think after our wedding in October I may try the ring. Since we are so close to our wedding I'm sort of nervous to try anything too new and have all my hair fall out again.

It is nice to know others have had problems switching to generics because I was starting to feel crazy.

Absolutely!  I think the "take them for three months than a one-week break" ones are the best for that.  Before BCP, I usually didn't have heavier periods anyway.  After being on the 3-month BCP, I can usually get away just panti-liners after the first day.  Plus the period cramps and backaches...which had gotten worse as I have gotten older...are much more mild and can be knocked out with an Advil
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards