Chit Chat

Hello? Is this thing on?

Hello!!!! Some of you may remember me, many of you probably don't know me because I don't recognize your names :(  I used to be super active on this board in the year leading up to my wedding, then kind of drifted away with life afterwards. But I got to thinking about this board and wanted to come back and try to be active again! (I think the last time I was here was during the last major exodus when lots of folks got banned/dipped out-am I allowed to mention that?)

If you remember me, here's what's been happening in my life for the past year:
H and I moved to Georgia (I can't figure out how to update my location on my profile. Boo). We live with his parents because we moved here a year ago to help my MIL start a bakery. That was a big Effing failure and then H couldn't find work. When he finally did, I had to quit my job because it was quickly draining my soul. Now we have one income while I'm trying to get my private therapy practice off the ground. Many, many days I feel like its not worth it and I need to go back and get a real job so we can GTFO of my in-laws house. It's a daily struggle. And no babies for us yet, I'm hoping we will be moved out into our own place within a year and then mayyyyybe I can get H on board the baby train. Other than that I just have LOTS of free time because I only have 2 clients at my practice so far, so I spend the rest of my time playing The Sims, Facebooking, and cleaning the house because my MIL is a hoarder. Keeps me pretty busy. :smiley:

If you don't know me: I'm Lynze -pronounced like Lindsay but everyone gets it wrong and leaves the 'e' off, hence my username. I'm 28. I've been married a year and a half now and things have been going awesome, with the exception of our living situation. I LOVE wine and makeup, and witty humorous conversations. Be my friend.

Who are you?! Introduce yourself to me! Check in and say hi if you know me already! 
Anniversary

Re: Hello? Is this thing on?

• Hey Linz!!  Welcome back.  Sorry to hear the business is going slow.  I hope things pick up soon for you

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016

Hi Lynze!  Welcome back!

I'm Jenny.  Live in NOLA.  Been married for 3 1/2 years.  I'm 42.  No children (don't want any).  But our dog, Izzy, and our cat, Nip, bring their fuzzy version of childlike joy into our home, lol.

I've worked for engineering firms for the last 10 or so years, but am not an engineer.  I have a BS in Business and do more project support type of stuff.  I also invest in real estate (buy houses, fix them up, rent them out).  Striving toward enough rental monthly cash flow to "retire" very early and no longer be exposed to layoffs.  Super common in my industry, unfortunately.

Sorry to hear the whole job and living situation is not ideal, at the moment!  Hopefully just a temporary situation.  Good luck with your practice.  I suspect it might be a little tough building up your clientele but, once you do, it will really be thriving.

If you don't already, make sure you have a web page set up (you can do a basic one yourself, on the cheap), a Facebook business page, a You Tube video introducing yourself and what you do.  Any other online presence you can think of for advertising purposes.  Now that Google bought You Tube, it's not just for funny cat videos anymore.  It's a powerful search engine optimization tool, even for local businesses. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hey, welcome back!  Things are kind of different around here since the exodus, but there are still a few of us left.  

• oh hey girl hey! Welcome back :)
    *********************************************************************************

• Welcome back, fellow wine lover!
    It's always nice to do an introductory refresh, so heck, refresher on me- I live in Chicago, work in higher education, married nearly 2 years (holy shit... anniversary coming up), 33yo, no kids yet but planning to start trying in late fall (holy shit...). Recently upgraded our home so having a housewarming this weekend and quite looking forward to buying lots of wine. I love traveling and running.

That blows that the bakery was a failure... reminds me of Bridesmaids. Having a bakery should be one of those dream jobs.

• I'm so glad to see some of you still around!! 

@short+sassyHey Jenny! I should have said in my OP that I am a mom to the most adorable 8 year old furry child, who is a chihuahua/jack russell mix. He's the love of my life. I probably have more pics of him on my phone than my H haha. Thanks for the tips on the webpage. I do have a Facebook page and there's a website for the practice I work at, and I have a profile on PsychologyToday. It's a very slow process but I'm starting to get paneled with insurances so that helps a ton. H and I have an ultimate goal of doing the same thing with houses, we just need to get our own first haha. 

@thisismynickname Yeah it definitely sucks about the bakery because it's her dream and she makes incredible cakes (she did ours for the wedding and H's grooms cake and they were amazing and delicious) but unfortunately it's just too expensive of a business to run and where we live people aren't willing to pay what it costs to make a cake after you cover your overhead, especially when almost everyone these days has an Aunt Susie or cousin Becky who can make one very similar in her kitchen and only charge you $60 for it. I wish things had worked out for her but she's much less stressed now, and still gets to do them at her home on the side. 
    Anniversary

• I'm so glad to see some of you still around!! 

@short+sassyHey Jenny! I should have said in my OP that I am a mom to the most adorable 8 year old furry child, who is a chihuahua/jack russell mix. He's the love of my life. I probably have more pics of him on my phone than my H haha. Thanks for the tips on the webpage. I do have a Facebook page and there's a website for the practice I work at, and I have a profile on PsychologyToday. It's a very slow process but I'm starting to get paneled with insurances so that helps a ton. H and I have an ultimate goal of doing the same thing with houses, we just need to get our own first haha. 

@thisismynickname Yeah it definitely sucks about the bakery because it's her dream and she makes incredible cakes (she did ours for the wedding and H's grooms cake and they were amazing and delicious) but unfortunately it's just too expensive of a business to run and where we live people aren't willing to pay what it costs to make a cake after you cover your overhead, especially when almost everyone these days has an Aunt Susie or cousin Becky who can make one very similar in her kitchen and only charge you $60 for it. I wish things had worked out for her but she's much less stressed now, and still gets to do them at her home on the side. 

Best way to start is called "house hacking".  Which means you buy a personal home that is a multi-family residence (2-4 units).  Live in one unit, rent out the others.  That was what I did.  You sacrifice in the beginning by having less square footage to live in vs. buying a single family house for the same money (but all the square footage is yours).  However, I got over that quick when the rental income surpassed my mortgage payment.  Plus you get great experience managing and interacting with tenants, with less risk because you are living in the same building and are aware of what is going on.

My first personal home was (still live there) a duplex.  I initially did that, more to just help with my finances with a thought that "maybe I'd buy more rentals down the road".  It's been a financial game-changer and that "maybe" turned into "how fast can I responsibly scoop up more properties and retire early".  Of course, with "fast" being a relative term, lol.   

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • madamerwinmadamerwin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2016
    Hi, and welcome back! Your username looks vaguely familiar to me, I think I was just starting to become active around the last exodus, so we may have crossed paths.

About me: I'm 31, married just over a year, with three furry children (the best dog in the world, Monty, and two grumpy cats, Stella and Duke), plus a human baby coming soon (due in February). My job also sucks my soul, but luckily it's not stressful, and not something I plan to do long-term. My husband works as an engineer for an airline. His hours suck (he's currently working graveyard, blah), but we fly for free, so I've got that going for me. We live in Portland, OR and currently rent, but are hoping to buy a house out in the 'burbs in the next year or so.

I love cooking, gardening, camping, snowboarding, and reading. When it comes to TK, you'll find me on CC and Etiquette, occasionally popping up elsewhere.

ETF typo
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • ei34ei34 member
    Hi!  Your name looks vaguely familiar, although I think you arrived a couple of months before I took a step away from TK.  Sorry about the bakery, and living with your ILs (I couldn't imagine having the patience to do that!), but best of luck with your practice!  What type of therapy?  Behavioral, psychoanalytical, etc?
    I live in Queens NY with DH, our 2-yr-old DD and 1-yr-old Dtwins.  I'm a guidance counselor (part-time since the brats babies came along).  Hmm..I enjoy cooking, being outside when it's not terribly hot, reading, and I guess CC is my favorite board (but I jump around).  Welcome back :)
  • Your name looks familiar but at the time I was just lurking.

Welcome back!

I'm in Alberta, work as an ER nurse, getting married in October and love to cook, bake, scrapbook and travel.

I read most of the boards.

• Hi, it looks like I'm new here since you were last active, but here for over a year nonetheless.  

I'm 36, in sales and marrying a teacher in December.  We have two cats that we love just a little bit too much and I swear a lot.  

Good luck with the practice.  My sister is a mental health social worker who would love to go out on her own day.
  • edited August 2016
    Welcome back! I'm new here yet. I'm a 41-year-old legal secretary for local government, and I'm marrying the love of my life, a veteran and soon-to-be full-time student, in October. We live in Cleveland, OH with our three cats, our dog, and the best roommate ever. I love to read, cook, craft, and play board and card games, and I spend too much time on Pinterest.
  • I remember your username! I've been married for three and a half years. We live in Alaska. I work in the news media, H works in the mechanic industry. No kids. No pets. We're moving soon!
  • @madamerwin Congrats on your soon to be addition! My birthday is in February ;) I’m jealous you guys get to fly for free! I love flying but never get to go anywhere!

@eileenrob I’m a LMFT (marriage and family therapist) so I do a lot of family systems therapy with a little bit of behavioral. I love it though, I’ve done many mental health jobs and this is by far the best. I feel like my clients actually WANT therapy instead of in the past where my clients were court-mandated or when I worked in a psyc. hospital and people were brought by the sheriff haha. 

@ernursej Congrats on your upcoming wedding!! I’ve been having the worst wedding fever-probably because my MIL makes wedding cakes every weekend. I really want to do it all over again. Not a “do-over” because I feel like our wedding was awesome, but I just wanna get all dressed up in my dress and have pretty flowers and cake and a party again haha.

@kimmiinthemitten Swearing is my favorite :) Private practice is definitely the way to go! It’s a sloooooooooooow process but you get to make your own schedule and be your own boss. I love it!

@OurWildKingdom Congrats on your wedding as well!! I also spend an obscene amount of time on pinterest 

@lovesclimbing I remember you too!! Moving to where?

Anniversary

• I remember you, welcome back.

sorry to hear about the bakery, like PP I thought about the movie Bridesmaids too. Does she have to have a special license to make cakes out of her home? A sorority sister made awesome cakes and was creating a nice little side business when the health department came knocking and said she couldn't have the business out of her home anymore, it had to be out of a commercial kitchen.

I got married in May 2015 and we have a baby boy due in Nov (3 months from today). I'm ready for him to get here and don't want to wait another 3 months although I might change my mind as the weeks progress. Still trying to think of a place to go for one last little getaway but can't come up with anything that will be fun yet relaxing and is close enough for a short drive. Damn you midwest. 
  • kvruns said:
    I remember you, welcome back.

sorry to hear about the bakery, like PP I thought about the movie Bridesmaids too. Does she have to have a special license to make cakes out of her home? A sorority sister made awesome cakes and was creating a nice little side business when the health department came knocking and said she couldn't have the business out of her home anymore, it had to be out of a commercial kitchen.

I got married in May 2015 and we have a baby boy due in Nov (3 months from today). I'm ready for him to get here and don't want to wait another 3 months although I might change my mind as the weeks progress. Still trying to think of a place to go for one last little getaway but can't come up with anything that will be fun yet relaxing and is close enough for a short drive. Damn you midwest. 
    Yes she has one, luckily she managed all that when the business closed and still operates under her bakery name. They are super strict on those regulations! But I get it.

Congrats on your new baby! I want kids asap but we need to get into our own place first. Hopefully you can think of somewhere to go/something to do to relax before he arrives!
    Anniversary

• hi! welcome back! i don't think i'd joined yet when you were around.
    I'm Kyle and I'm 30 - just got married almost 3 weeks ago. DH and I have a sweet dog named Henry and we live in central NY. We just bought a fixer upper that was a total gut job back in May and right now all of our framing is up and the electrician finished  all our wiring yesterday and our plumber (my dad) finished brand new pipes this past weekend. we're hoping it's livable when our lease is up on our apartment in October. now that the wedding is over, the house is my new obsession. nice to meet ya!
  • Welcome back!

• Welcome back and vibes that things look brighter for you soon!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Hey :) I recognize the username/sig photo but don't think I was that active when you were around.

I'm Katie {Kitty} - 28 {29 in 3 weeks}; married a year as of Aug 1st but with him 5 1/2 yrs total; 2 cats; just bought our first house and very impatient about moving {38 days!}
    Insolvency Clerk {receptionist}; makeup artist and steeped tea consultant.

My H is a programmer - software dev - and general nerd ;)
  • Welcome back! i remember your username.

DH and I will have been married 2 years this December and we're expecting our first child, a little girl, in October! We are already parents to 5 dogs and a cat so needless to say, I'm nervous to add a baby to the mix but we're super excited.

I'm sorry to hear about all of the job trouble your family has experienced but I hope things start looking up soon.

• SP29SP29 member
    Hello! I don't believe I *know* you, but I probably joined around the time you left.

Sorry to hear about the bakery. I agree, it should be a "dream job" but I hear you on people not wanting to pay what a cake costs.

I'm in southern Ontario. 29. Married 2 years. I work as a physiotherapist in a hospital. Only fur babies- a cat and horse. Hoping to buy a house next spring/summer (we are renting a house that is a duplex) and run my first marathon next spring, then we'll start thinking about having children.
  • Just to another area in Alaska. (I don't want to go into details about location). We love the state and will likely never leave.
  • Hello. I don't think I was here when you were around before, but I've been pretty active here the last year or so. 

I am 31, married a little over a year. My H and I are both college professors who just moved to Toledo from NC, but are original Buffalonians. I'm a huge Bills fan who can't wait for the regular reason to start. I'm training to run a marathon, and working on getting back to CrossFit after a December knee surgery. I usually hangout on WW after Heffalump invited a bunch of newbies in, and Etiquette. I can get a little rant-y about women's rights and equality. 
  • edited August 2016
    Hi,  I'm also a lurker after a regular was horribly rude for no reason and it sort of put me off! Think she's gone now.  So hello nice to "meet you" all,  my names Laura I'm from the UK (Nottingham)  I'm 28 and have been married almost two years.  My job is mind numbing boring but it pays OK :smile: currently looking at night college courses but my problem is I don't know in what exactly.  Please excuse my spelling at times,  in truth I type too fast on my little phone screen! 
  • Welcome back! I did the same thing, haven't really been active since right after the wedding and started thinking of this community again so I have been lurking a bit. Sorry to hear about the bakery but it sounds like you area rolling with the punches so good job on that!

We have been down to one income since the wedding as well, I was laid off (good thing) and then decided to go back to school, now that I'm ready to get back into employment my H is moving us from northern Idaho to Salt Lake in 3 months with his job so I'm going to wait on that until we get settled down there. I'm starting to feel like a military wife with him gone for 6-7 months at a time every year and the constant moving even though he's not in the military!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards