Moms and Maids

General Consensus

SoldiersMomSoldiersMom member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited August 2016 in Moms and Maids
So before I go and waste my money...is the general consensus a thumbs down on personalized "bridesmaid" items?  I was thinking of getting zip up hoodies for the girls for the after party. But I get the sense from reading these boards that most arent favorable on these types of items. Has anyone gotten something like this from a wedding they were in and did it just get tossed in the back of your closet? 

I did get the girls individual gifts. This would just be in addition.
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: General Consensus

• Thank you!  :)
  • So before I go and waste my money...is the general consensus a thumbs down on personalized "bridesmaid" items?  I was thinking of getting zip up hoodies for the girls for the after party. But I get the sense from reading these boards that most arent favorable on these types of items. Has anyone gotten something like this from a wedding they were in and did it just get tossed in the back of your closet? 

My daughter has gotten at least two robes.  She has never worn them a day beyond the wedding.  As the MOB, I was invited unexpectedly to DD's work shower.  I scrambled for a last minute gift to get for her.  A close friend said DD had her eye on a personalized hoodie.  I can't remember if it said "bride" or "wife/y" on it.  I saw her wear it once prior to the wedding, and I think she used it as lounge/sleepwear on her honeymoon.  I think it has long since hit the garbage bin.

These items seem cute and fun in "the heat of the moment/excitement prior to the wedding", but it fades fast.
  • So before I go and waste my money...is the general consensus a thumbs down on personalized "bridesmaid" items?  I was thinking of getting zip up hoodies for the girls for the after party. But I get the sense from reading these boards that most arent favorable on these types of items. Has anyone gotten something like this from a wedding they were in and did it just get tossed in the back of your closet? 

If you mean having "bridesmaid" written on it, I wouldn't spend the money. If it is a type of zip up hoodie that the girls would normally wear, than I think it is ok. DD and I wear those kind of jackets to go to the gym but wouldn't wear it if it had any kind of writing on it that referred to your wedding.
  • I you want to get them plain hoodies, go for it.  But do not personalize them, if you want you BP to wear them again!
  • I agree.

I was a bridesmaid for my SIL, who gave her wedding party members candle holders engraved with a "wedding" message.

I've never found a use for mine and it's taking up space in a cabinet.

I've gotten other "personalized" gifts over the years that I've never used.

A plain hoodie might find some use, but I wouldn't give anything "personalized."
  • I've never used any of the personalized items from a wedding again. I don't like my name on things so I would not get any use out of something. Save your money or spend it on something else.
  • Personally,  I would love a zip up hoodie. I wear them all the time. But not if it said your wedding date or bridesmaid or anything else related to your wedding. I probably wouldn't have an issue if it was personalized with my name on it. 
  • Thanks so much for all the replies! Yes, I was thinking name or initial on the front and bridesmaid on the back. I've never been a bridesmaid myself so I've never gotten any personalized robes, goodies, etc. but I can definitely see how things of the sort would get tossed after the fact. I think this is falling hard into the "skip" category.        
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would skip it.

I'd probably wear it once for whatever event related to the wedding, and then never again- because I'm not a bridesmaid anymore, right?
  • I personally would never wear a hoodie, like PPs said I would wear it once to make my friend happy and then it would end up on the bottom if the closet never to be seen again.

I once hosted a bridal shower for a friend. I wasn't expecting any kind of gift but she brought me a  wonderful and thoughtful hostess gift. She knew I loved, LOVED tea and didn't have an infusing teapot. So she bought me one that was elegant and fit my style along with a few bags of loose leaf tea. The gift showed me that she put thought into what I would like and to this day is still in use and one of tbe best presents I have ever received. Gifts don't have to be expensive, when someone obviously puts an effort to find you something that fits you, those are the best.

• Add me to the list of people who wear hoodies, but would never wear a bridesmaid hoodie except on the day of the wedding I was a BM for.

Waste of money IMO.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • At the last wedding I was a bridesmaid in, we were all given bridesmaid robes. I wear mine all the time, it's nice and warm and reminds me of the day. But I know the other bridesmaids weren't impressed so I think I'm in the minority, one of these bridesmaids didn't even take hers from the hotel when she left.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards