Outdoor Weddings

Skip the confetti?

My ceremony venue requires that anything we throw (petals, confetti, etc) to be cleaned up afterwards. My reception venue doesn't care, but it would be outside in the parking lot. If I did a petal throw it would either be during the recessional or entering the reception. I really think I should skip it, though, because the only reason to do it would be for pictures and I really don't want to have to wrangle all my guests outside to throw stuff at us or have to pay someone to clean up. Would you skip it?

Re: Skip the confetti?

• edited August 2016
    Personally, I'm skipping it for environmental as well as logistics reasons. I was thinking about birdseed, but I don't think our venue would appreciate that, either. (We're on the lake, and seagulls and geese are big problems.)
  • I didn't ask about birdseed, but I am assuming it would be a problem because if the seed isn't completely eaten it sprouts and they try to keep the area there very neat. The wedding coordinator I talked to said nothing but real petals, but the site manager said anything as long as we clean it up. Birdseed would be impossible to clean up and I think the logistics of it mean I will just skip that entirely. 
  • Have you considered bubbles? Otherwise, yeah, I'd probably skip it unless they allow birdseed...I don't know that the photo op will be worth having to clean all that up!

• Have you considered bubbles? Otherwise, yeah, I'd probably skip it unless they allow birdseed...I don't know that the photo op will be worth having to clean all that up!
    I was also going to suggest bubbles.  They did make for some beautiful photos for my daughter, my son, and a friend's wedding. 
  • MobKaz said:
    I was also going to suggest bubbles.  They did make for some beautiful photos for my daughter, my son, and a friend's wedding. 
    When did they do them?
  • My venue had similar rules - no confetti, rice, flower petals, etc. unless we were the ones to clean it up. We did have our flower girl throw petals, but for our send-off, we tied ribbons to small wooden dowel rods for people. It was much more work and took longer than I anticipated, but was a good alternative for making a mess. I've seen bubbles done too (where they blow bubbles at you as you leave) and I like it.
  • My venue had similar rules - no confetti, rice, flower petals, etc. unless we were the ones to clean it up. We did have our flower girl throw petals, but for our send-off, we tied ribbons to small wooden dowel rods for people. It was much more work and took longer than I anticipated, but was a good alternative for making a mess. I've seen bubbles done too (where they blow bubbles at you as you leave) and I like it.
    Was this during the recessional?
  • @DrillSergeantCat I've seen people blow bubbles during the recessional. It made for some cool photos. They were handed out with the programs at the beginning to everyone. 

But ive also been to a ton of weddings where they did nothing except have the people cheer and definitely didn't miss not having something to throw. 
  • Ironring said:
    @DrillSergeantCat I've seen people blow bubbles during the recessional. It made for some cool photos. They were handed out with the programs at the beginning to everyone. 

But ive also been to a ton of weddings where they did nothing except have the people cheer and definitely didn't miss not having something to throw. 
    If I do anything, we'll do bubbles, but I'm still not sure I want to. We're not doing programs, but I guess I could either sit the bubbles on each chair or put a basket on the train platform that they can take as they get off the train.
  • Ironring said:
    @DrillSergeantCat I've seen people blow bubbles during the recessional. It made for some cool photos. They were handed out with the programs at the beginning to everyone. 
    YI'm 
    If I do anything, we'll do bubbles, but I'm still not sure I want to. We're not doing programs, but I guess I could either sit the bubbles on each chair or put a basket on the train platform that they can take as they get off the train.
    My worry with the bolded (if that is going to be on the ground) is that people won't see them and then they'll just be a waste of money. If you can put them on something elevated like a table and at waist height (maybe with a sign that rhymes!) then people are much more likely to grab them. 
  • Ironring said:
    My worry with the bolded (if that is going to be on the ground) is that people won't see them and then they'll just be a waste of money. If you can put them on something elevated like a table and at waist height (maybe with a sign that rhymes!) then people are much more likely to grab them. 
    I didn't mean on the ground. Of course if there's a sign, it'll rhyme! It would be tacky not to.
  • Ironring said:
    I didn't mean on the ground. Of course if there's a sign, it'll rhyme! It would be tacky not to.
    Haha, alright. When you said train platform, I had this image of it sitting on the ground right next to where people get off the train and getting kicked over and stuff. 
  • I attended a wedding where I received a small bell with my program. During the recessional, we all rang the bells. There was no cleanup, and the bells doubled as the favors. Of course, each bell had a note attached with rhyming instructions.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
  • Skip it.
    It does feel like it would be more trouble than it's worth and people who aren't on the end of the row on the aisle are going to end up with bubbles in their hair and face. 
  • bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2016
    Based on my experience, I'd say skip even the bubbles. It's an extra expense that people may not go along with. 

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'd skip it, or do bubbles if you really want something.

My friend had bubbles for when they came out of their church.

There still is an element of organization with bubbles. You need to store and hand them out, have your guests where you'd like them with you and your FH exiting last. But could be done.
  • justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2016
    Wonderful!!! Cheap Chargers Plates. I got cheap chargers plates for my wedding from (TOS violation edited out) 
    and it was delivered on time without damage. i look forward to purchase in future with them as well. i feel happy.
    They sure are posing all over the place. Vendor @southernbelle0915
  • MobKaz said:
    When did they do them?
    My son and DIL married in an outdoor ceremony.  The guests blew the bubbles as the newly wedded couple walked down the aisle at the end of their ceremony.  DD and SIL married in church.  Guests waited briefly for the bride and groom outside of the church front doors.  As the bride and groom left the church, bubbles were blown.

DIL did have a sign attached to the basket of bubbles, which were located on a pedestal placed at the end of the aisle for guests to see and take as they walked to their seats.  Having the basket elevated helped make them visible.  I believe the sign said something along the lines of, "Blow some wishes to the new Mr. and Mrs."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards