Wedding Reception Forum

Garter alternative/dance?

Hey girls, 

I WANT to do the garter toss but wonder if there is some sort of alternative to him retrieving it. Im fine with him getting it but hes not a showy, PDA, sexy in public type guy. Maybe some sort of fun dance or move real fast first? Sorry if this is confusing! 

Re: Garter alternative/dance?

• edited August 2016
    Some of the garter tosses I've seen have had the bride put the garter quite low on their leg (like around the knee) and then lift up their dress only to that point (if that makes sense). Then all the groom does is take off the garter that is already in plain sight and not scandalously high on the leg. It made it much less risqué (or awkward depending on your point of view) to watch. 
  • He can just get it without making a show out of it? It takes like 10 seconds and then everyone will be focused on the toss portion. I specifically told H to just slide his hand up my leg until he could feel the garter and then pull it off. There was no lifting my dress up or him sticking his head under it or anything like that.
  • Maybe have him toss a garter that isn't on your leg to begin with?
  • Jen4948 said:
    Maybe have him toss a garter that isn't on your leg to begin with?
    I've see this, and it's fine.  The bride hands the garter over ... or ... the groom pulls a tossing garter out of his pocket.  Single guys, countdown, toss, catch...simple.
  • Jen4948 said:

This is what I've seen and it is much more tolerable than the retrieval process. I've also seen the bride retrieve the garter from her own leg and hand it over to the groom giving him a kiss on the cheek as it is handed over.
  • Jen4948 said:

THIS. If you really want your underwear thrown into a crowd of dudes, skip the search portion.
    *********************************************************************************

• I haven't personally seen the garter toss done in years!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:
    I haven't personally seen the garter toss done in years!
    I haven't seen it in a while either. Last time I remember it was at my brother's wedding 15 years ago.
  • I have never seen it done. I'm good with that. It strikes me as pretty cringe, but each to their own.

• Jen4948 said:
    THIS. If you really want your underwear thrown into a crowd of dudes, skip the search portion.
    Additionally: If you go ahead with the underwear throwing, please skip the part where the man who catches it puts your garter back on whatever woman catches the bouquet.
  • I have never seen it with lots of PDA or teeth or anything like that. Most of the time, the skit isn't pulled up very far and he reaches up and grabs it, and it's usually not all that high. 
  • I have never seen it with lots of PDA or teeth or anything like that. Most of the time, the skit isn't pulled up very far and he reaches up and grabs it, and it's usually not all that high. 
    Well, I've seen it, and it is just gross!  Blech!  Ugh!  It is a wedding, not a strip tease show.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards