Getting in Shape

favorite cardio option!?

and...GO! 

i hate cardio, im asthmatic, i have no stamina... i need help! haha

Re: favorite cardio option!?

• I hate running but love spinning. Fun music, someone pushing you, but ultimately its up to you to decide how much resistance you have on.

• edited August 2016
    Zumba! Lots of fun but a real workout. Also swimming and water aerobics because they're easy on my joints.
  • My preference is running, though I don't love it.  If you hate cardio, I'd suggest joining a class of some sort, so the instructor can motivate you, there's good music, something like Zumba or another dance form that doesn't feel like cardio

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I run, but if you hate cardio, then running isn't for you!

I would suggest spinning, zumba, or a cardio kick boxing class.

Spinning can be quiet intense, so might be difficult with your asthma, but I'll leave that for you to decide. But I know a few people who hate running but like spinning because it's a dedicated class, lots of up beat music and a coach leading you.

I do enjoy some kick boxing. I'm not particularly good at it, but it's fun to punch and kick things sometimes ;).
  • walking, hiking and biking.   I've lost some 23 pounds by doing those things.

I hate running and refuse to do so.   Not a fan of classes either.   I find I do not follow through long term because I hate them so much.

Walking, hiking and biking works for me.    Most days I do 5 miles of walking. Days off 8 miles.   Biking I will do 16 or so miles.  If I hike it's more like 4 miles or so, depends on the steepness of the hike.    I push myself to one of those things 5/6 days a week.   The "off" days I still manage a mile or 2 just walking the dogs.

I put on my wireless headphones and just start moving.  I get a lot of thinking done too.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I hate classes or things of that nature, I've never been able to stick to anything. I took up team sports a while ago (netball, though it's more of a uk/australia/new zealand sport) and I've never been fitter or in better shape. The best part is that I enjoy it so it doesn't seem like a chore at all. I love playing so it's almost like feeling healthy and a better figure is just a secondary benefit. Plus, being in a team means should I feel like slacking off I have 6 other girls on my case to suck it up and not let them down. Win, win!

• Ha, I don't know a single person who loves cardio!! That being said, I am more an advocate of anything that will kick my a$$ in a short amount of time. 

The stair-climber is certainly the hardest machine, but you get the most bang for your buck so to speak. You burn the most amount of calories in the shortest amount of time, and there is something to be said about the feeling you get after really working hard. 

A final tip I might offer - rather than listening to music try reading. Now you can't run and read (at least I can't) but it's pretty easy to use the stair-climber, walk up hill on the treadmill or even use most elipticals while reading a book. It really REALLY helps pass the time. My fiance and I have started doing an hour of fasted cardio every morning, and it's just an obnoxious amount of time - but reading makes it go by so incredibly fast!

Good luck!
  • Ha, I don't know a single person who loves cardio!! That being said, I am more an advocate of anything that will kick my a$$ in a short amount of time. 

The stair-climber is certainly the hardest machine, but you get the most bang for your buck so to speak. You burn the most amount of calories in the shortest amount of time, and there is something to be said about the feeling you get after really working hard. 

A final tip I might offer - rather than listening to music try reading. Now you can't run and read (at least I can't) but it's pretty easy to use the stair-climber, walk up hill on the treadmill or even use most elipticals while reading a book. It really REALLY helps pass the time. My fiance and I have started doing an hour of fasted cardio every morning, and it's just an obnoxious amount of time - but reading makes it go by so incredibly fast!

Good luck!
    I listen to books on Audible or podcasts. It distracts me so much more than music.

What do you like to do? I loved CrossFit because it was an hour-long and combined cardio and weights, had a great community. It does get expensive and you need to make sure the box has good coaches, but it gives you a fantastic workout.

• I listen to books on Audible or podcasts. It distracts me so much more than music.

What do you like to do? I loved CrossFit because it was an hour-long and combined cardio and weights, had a great community. It does get expensive and you need to make sure the box has good coaches, but it gives you a fantastic workout.

I agree, podcasts and audio books make my runs INFINITELY easier. I never got into CrossFit, but I'm a big fan of Beachbody workouts which are great for cardio: 
    https://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/online-workouts-videos.do

They're tough, but they keep me interested and the workouts go by quick because you move through them so quickly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards