Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How much water?

We're offering coffee, hot and iced tea (both unsweetened), berry refresher (also unsweetened), mulled cider, and infused water, along with a selection of canned and bottled lemonade, sparkling water, sweetened tea, and maybe some sodas. I calculated that we will need 28 gallons total, not counting water. Will 5 gallons of water be enough for 140 guests, in addition to the other beverages? We're renting a canteen rather than offering bottled water, if that makes a difference.

Re: How much water?

• Well there are about 128 oz in a gallon. With 5 gallons that comes to about 80 8 oz glasses of water.   Not sure what size cups you have, but whatever size you have will effect how much people will take.  I.e if your glasses are 12 oz, people will take more.   Ice vs no ice also makes a difference.

I would err on the side of caution and get more water.  Especially since lot of people like sides of water in addition to other beverages.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • edited August 2016
    We're probably going to have 12-ounce cups for cold beverages, and I think for hot beverages as well. We will have ice in the canteen. 

I checked the math using the formula you gave me and 12-ounce cups and got 15 gallons. Does that sound right?
  • Sounds about right.   Maybe a little more than you need. 

The good thing about water is it doesn't really go bad.   IMO it's one of the safest items to go overboard with as it will get used.

I know I go through almost 5 gallons a week at home and it's mostly just me drinking it. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards