Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Wedding booze nearly bought up....any big drinkers feel like this is right?

Hi all!

We've been buying up our wedding booze over the last 6wks and we think we might be there or thereabouts. I'd love some opinions to make sure I'm not too light anywhere though, if anyone has the patience to read through my list!

My guestlist is around 100, give or take, and the dinner/reception will be from 5ish till 1am. The 'cocktail hour' is on a boat and will be a consumption bar, so not part of what we need to buy in advance. We have bartenders, so spirits will be in proper measures not freepour.

My crowd are part scottish, part northern english, part Irish. Drinking is in their blood. I cannot run out. Most people will drink wine/lager/ale by my reckoning,
so I've planned accordingly. 

Wine

Cabernet Sauvingnon - 18 bottles
Montepulciano - 42 bottles
Sauvingon blanc - 54 bottles
Pinot grigio - 42 bottles
Prosecco - 60 bottles

Lager/ale/stout

Kronenberg - 144 cans (50cl).
Guinness - 24 cans (only my brother specifically asked for this but others might partake)
Ale - FI still to order as he is being v. choosy. 

Spirits

Bacardi - 2 litres (only know a handful of ppl that will drink this).
Gin - 6 litres
Vodka - 6 litres

FI loves whiskey and wants to do a 'whiskey bar' later in the evening, but I want to make sure we are properly prepared for the main bar before we even think about fun things on top.

Mixers/soft drinks

Tonic - 24litres
Soda water - 18litres
Coke/diet coke/irn bru/lemonade - 40 litres approx.
Orange juice - 15litres
Of course water/tea/coffee is also readily available and unlimited.
Some parent approved juice drinks for the 4 kids in attendance.

Thoughts?

Re: Wedding booze nearly bought up....any big drinkers feel like this is right?

• Holy shit, that's a lot of wine. We had about 95 people at our wedding, mostly drinkers/of drinking age. We went through about 30 bottles total. Also went through about 3 cases cases of beer (72 bottles?), and probably 2.5 handles of liquor. We grossly overestimated how much we would need, but like you, we didn't want to risk running out.

You basically have 2 bottles of wine/prosecco per person. PLUS beer and liquor. How much ale will you be getting? I'd get at least 60 bottles of ale, just for the sake of variety.

If your guests make it through all this alcohol, I'll be very impressed.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'll have to report back on the leftovers. I am giggling a little here as i guess seeing it written down it is a lot. You should see my front room with all this in it  :o

Re the ale, yeah I think that is the ballpark figure, maybe a little more. FI is from Leeds so he wants a suitably yorkshire ale and is taking his sweet time picking.

• We had a shit load of wine left over, when I get home I will see if I can calculate how much!  We did however give bottles of the good red to guests as they were leaving along with the pots of heather that lined our alise, so that was good to be able to do as we had no adult favours!
  • ScottishSarahScottishSarah member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2016
    We went through at least 3/4 bottle of prosecco pp.  that was really popular!

Edited to add we were also able to give beer and cider to our departing bridal party members xxx
  • edited August 2016
    We had a shit load of wine left over, when I get home I will see if I can calculate how much!  We did however give bottles of the good red to guests as they were leaving along with the pots of heather that lined our alise, so that was good to be able to do as we had no adult favours!
    Did you find that your guests drank more beer/spirits? I'm wondering if we are a little light in other aspects then.

Eta: re the Prosecco, yeah I don't anticipate any of that being left over!

• ScottishSarahScottishSarah member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited August 2016
    We had a shit load of wine left over, when I get home I will see if I can calculate how much!  We did however give bottles of the good red to guests as they were leaving along with the pots of heather that lined our alise, so that was good to be able to do as we had no adult favours!
    Did you find that your guests drank more beer/spirits? I'm wondering if we are a little light in other aspects then.

Eta: re the Prosecco, yeah I don't anticipate any of that being left over!
    No we went through so much more wine and prosseco than beer and spirits.  

Very surprised as we were telling our guests to order malt whisky, liquor etc!
  • That sounds like a lot of wine ... but in my world, people almost exclusively drink wine. Can I come?? Wow. Love booze :)
  • Huh, I see everyone talking about the Prosecco, and I was about to say I think you should trade some Prosecco for more Cab.  But then again, I love Cab, and I can drink a whole bottle myself.  

• I would buy another bottle of vodka.

• MesmrEwe said:

I'm doing Cheesehead math here where we have the highest per capita consumption of alcohol...  But something tells me you can cut back a little...  With a guest list of 100...  You're presuming that EACH guest is going to consume 2.16 Bottles of wine, 1.68+ cans of various beers, and 2/3 cup of hard spirits That is a lot of alcohol just in what you've listed here, heavy drinkers or not!

Only chiming in to say this really made me laugh. 

• Duly noted, adding some more vodka  :)

• Not that you NEED more alcohol here, but what about a dark liquor, like whiskey or dark rum? (Not sure which Bacardi you're planning on)... Maybe gin is big in your circles, but I doubt more than a couple of my guests would have had gin. Plus vodka and gin are used in a lot of the same drinks, so there's probably overlap between vodka and gin drinkers. A lot of our wedding guests were big whiskey drinkers, and we went through a good amount of whiskey.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Not that you NEED more alcohol here, but what about a dark liquor, like whiskey or dark rum? (Not sure which Bacardi you're planning on)... Maybe gin is big in your circles, but I doubt more than a couple of my guests would have had gin. Plus vodka and gin are used in a lot of the same drinks, so there's probably overlap between vodka and gin drinkers. A lot of our wedding guests were big whiskey drinkers, and we went through a good amount of whiskey.
    Its white rum bacardi. We are going to do whiskey as FI loves it, but not till later in the evening. Plus I want us to be happy with what we have for the main bar before even thinking about that. But he will definitely sort it out, it's his thing!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards