Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wedding invitation Do's & Dont's...why are there Dont's?

I am making my Wedding Invites and I'm getting really tired of the DO's & Don'ts. I dont understnad who such rules can apply this day in age. SO my question, qhy can't i put the registry info on the invite. the way i am designing them the info will be on the back with the Venue restrictions and the hotel info. SO i'm not seeing why at all it is a big deal to put the registry info there also.

Answers

• like i said, tired of the do and donts. the more little things you include in the invite the more they will get lost/tossed/ignored. PLus what it the difference if its on the invite or on a separte card included on the invite? it came withe the invitation, why not just be on it?

• I'm also not doing a website.....

• I am making my Wedding Invites and I'm getting really tired of the DO's & Don'ts. I dont understnad who such rules can apply this day in age. SO my question, qhy can't i put the registry info on the invite. the way i am designing them the info will be on the back with the Venue restrictions and the hotel info. SO i'm not seeing why at all it is a big deal to put the registry info there also.
    Exactly what @ILoveBeachMusic said, putting your registry information on your invite suggests/tells your guests that you're expecting they buy you gifts.

Do's and Don'ts aren't here to annoy you, they are used so that you don't offend your guests and you provide them with the information they need about the event you are throwing.
  • edited August 2016
    Because even in this day and age most people still endeavour not to be (or at least not to appear) rude to their guests. Sure, most people will in some way give a gift on a wedding day, but its not cool to ask for gifts or visibly expect them. It's not really a big deal to just.....not put this on the invite. People still seem to manage just fine to still give gifts and cash

I assume you have a wedding website? You can use that for venue info if you don't want to print or pay for extra info cards. Good, old fashioned word of mouth usually works a treat too.

eta: Just read your response. Get a wedding website if you are so concerned about getting this vital information to your guests.

• word of mouth, yeah. I'm thinking that the easier the info is to obtain the more people will retain the info provided. I have received several invites with registry/venue restrictions/etc on it and never once did i find it rude at all. I'm simply thankful the bride/grooom didnt assume i had the time to hunt someone down to ge the info. I'm

not a facebook person, i dont tweet or instagram. I am on a pc all day and i honestly dont know y i asked here. If you get offended by basic needed info, you should maybe not have been invited. Plain n simple.

• Just don't mention gifts at all; not on the invite, not in an enclosed card. If someone asks, tell them if/where you are registered. The reason you don't include any of this information is that it reads, "Please come celebrate this event with us, and here is the information on how you should buy us presents".

What venue restrictions do you have that need to go in/on the invite? The only thing I can think of is if there are attire requirements (i.e. jacket and tie, covered shoulders) and from my understanding that is acceptable to include.
  • what i think is utterly hilarious is that some of you think that it was to ask for gifts. Nope, i could care less if gifts are given. Personally, gifts are not wanted. I asked because i was getting 9 different people with both side opinions and not a single person could tell me why it was rude other than it isnt polite. I'm sure those who have  answered, scour the web  on how to answer these posts "correctly" so thanx for your time and effort. But what is acceptable and not for the invite is my opinion in the end. Weddings bring out the absolute worse in people i have found. TOO many do's & donts. Imagine if you can, inviting only those that are present in your life at a venue that they will respect and knew the bride & groom enough to know that the info on the invite was for there convenience and not to offend. with soo many other crapping things going on lately, my invititation options are minor. I'm free balling this invite and if those offended say something, BRING IT!
  • what i think is utterly hilarious is that some of you think that it was to ask for gifts. Nope, i could care less if gifts are given. Personally, gifts are not wanted. I asked because i was getting 9 different people with both side opinions and not a single person could tell me why it was rude other than it isnt polite. I'm sure those who have  answered, scour the web  on how to answer these posts "correctly" so thanx for your time and effort. But what is acceptable and not for the invite is my opinion in the end. Weddings bring out the absolute worse in people i have found. TOO many do's & donts. Imagine if you can, inviting only those that are present in your life at a venue that they will respect and knew the bride & groom enough to know that the info on the invite was for there convenience and not to offend. with soo many other crapping things going on lately, my invititation options are minor. I'm free balling this invite and if those offended say something, BRING IT!
    Knottie, maybe it would help to explain how we have, indeed, been offended by Invite Don'ts.
    My example- labeling social units by name and properly according to social or professional status (i.e. "Dr"). I was getting married a month after this couple, yet the couple labeled the enveloped "FH and Guest." Guest? I mean, sure they're not my friends, and maybe they put Guest indicating that if I couldn't come, he could bring someone else. But don't I deserve to be invited with my future husband? It diminishes me as an important person in his life.  I was peeved but it's not a relationship-ending move by any means. 

I'll give you that there are things that are incredibly formal that don't necessarily offend, but are definitely proper. Those are harder to keep track of. Really nobody's going to get offended by handwriting versus printed labels, although handwriting is certainly proper. 

You sound like you need a drink. Plus, I found the Crain's website to be an excellent reference for formality, to hell with what 9 other people in your life say. 

• OP, you just don't get it. It's rude to ask for, or even hint at asking for gifts. Why else would you put your registry info on your invitation?  Clearly, you want people to know, regardless of how utterly tacky it is. SMH.
  • all this for "right/wrong" over a wedding invite. My gosh, you ladies should for run president. Mary poppy is right, i shouldnt have posted because i am honesty tired of everyone thinking that the bride shouldnt have an opinion or a suggestion or even an out of the box thought. Knot ladies, stand true to your "facts". weddings are about the moment betweeen 2 people and honestly, all this crap is reason why younger generations elope.....because if they even try to do domething out of the norm......you offend people.

Then why are you asking if gift information should or should not be included on the invitation?  No gifts wanted = no gift registry =no registry information. 

Problem solved.

Several posters have actually told you why it isn't polite.  Whether you include registry information with or without the specific intention of asking for gifts, including that information is rude.  It is against etiquette.  And yes, it IS actually asking for gifts.  Because it provides guests with information to a registry YOU created with items YOU chose.  The moment you include registry information on an invitation to any kind of event, it becomes not just a wedding, or a party, but a gift-giving event.

Gifts are optional.  Guests can choose whether to Google your names (and yes, your registry information will in all likelihood show up on a Google search) and find your registry on their own, gift you something off-registry, or gift you cash.

Putting registry information on a formal invitation implies that you are expecting gifts, whether you seem to think that or not.  It's not for ease of access.  It's greed.  Just because you have received invitations with registry information does not mean that this acceptable etiquette to follow, or that your opinion is universally held.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• not insulted or hot and bothered. thanx for info nd the judgement on my character based on one post. excellent feed back.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards