Wedding Etiquette Forum

Ladies, don't put your vision ahead of your guests!

Yesterday, we attended a wedding where the "cocktail" hour had no food and a cash bar. REALLY???? Actually the cash bar wasn't a huge surprise given all the other things that have happened surrounding this wedding, but seriously no food? There were many other things that we side eyed, but these are the things that affected our comfort during the reception.Of course, they couldn't afford apps and open bar because they HAD to have the reception at this venue.  AND I saw pictures on FB of another friend's wedding that was held outside in the rain. The B&G had an umbrella but the guests, WP did not.! nopenopenope! Do not do that to your guests. Their reception was under a tent so I don't know why they couldn't have had the tent as a Plan B in case of rain, but of course -vision!

OK rant over!

Re: Ladies, don't put your vision ahead of your guests!

• I would have left that reception before it began.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • And gents. This statement applies to grooms as well!
  • justsie said:
    And gents. This statement applies to grooms as well!
    Most definitely! I realized that after I posted but just didn't go back to change it. I guess most of the posters I read on here are women so that was why I did it. Certainly didn't mean the guys shouldn't be aware too.

• I'm focusing on the rain wedding. I think you're in IN too (or maybe I imagined it). It rained all damn weekend except for part of Sunday afternoon. no way in hell I'm sitting outside in the rain wtf
  • From time to time I read about outdoor weddings proceeding even if it rains.  Am I the only person who would say no to that?  If I was a guest, I would wait it out in my car.
  • kmmssg said:
    From time to time I read about outdoor weddings proceeding even if it rains.  Am I the only person who would say no to that?  If I was a guest, I would wait it out in my car.
    The only way I'd see going through with it is if it's just a drizzle and short.  Otherwise I think we would need to share parents for me to do that - and then I'd still be pissed. 
  • kmmssg said:
    From time to time I read about outdoor weddings proceeding even if it rains.  Am I the only person who would say no to that?  If I was a guest, I would wait it out in my car.
    I stood (no chairs) in the muck for an outdoor garden wedding, once. We would have left, but the FOG is my husband's best friend. He was embarrassed and stood beside me holding a huge umbrella over me. The bride with the vision, was trying to wait out the storm in a nearby bar, as her groom and her guests got soaked. I just didn't like her after that. The marriage lasted about two years so no reason to have any contact with her anyway. 

Last week that FOG passed away, unexpectedly. For whatever it's worth, I'm glad we stood beside him and his wife that day. But I wouldn't do it for anyone else.

• SP29 said:
    There are a lot of faux pas I will put up with, but no food is not one of them!

What's the point of a cocktail hour if there aren't cocktails and nibbles?
    To make a long story short, my sister got on my case about food at my wedding. I was all like, "Of course there's food at cocktail hour." Turns out she was expecting there not to be because weddings she'd attended didn't have food at cocktail hour. And she was sure cranky about it. 
    Yeesh.

I'd be fine with a drizzle (happened once) but if it started pouring I'd probably head indoors. I'm Always Prepared and might do the ceremony with the gigantic umbrella I'd be sure to have brought with me if rain was in the forecast for a hypothetical outdoor wedding. 

• kmmssg said:
    I stood (no chairs) in the muck for an outdoor garden wedding, once. We would have left, but the FOG is my husband's best friend. He was embarrassed and stood beside me holding a huge umbrella over me. The bride with the vision, was trying to wait out the storm in a nearby bar, as her groom and her guests got soaked. I just didn't like her after that. The marriage lasted about two years so no reason to have any contact with her anyway. 

Last week that FOG passed away, unexpectedly. For whatever it's worth, I'm glad we stood beside him and his wife that day. But I wouldn't do it for anyone else.
    This is why we stayed at the reception even though there was no  food or open bar. We were not invited to the outdoor wedding - just saw pictures. I wouldn't have sat in the rain.
  • It would have to be a pretty close friend for me to sit in the rain and watch them get married. Like best friend level friend.

So for my cocktail hour I had arranged some cracker, cheese, meat, fruit trays. We picked them up at a local grocery store and asked the caterer to put them out at the appointed time. They said no problem. Found out much later in the evening that they never put out the trays. I was mortified. Of course they also left and neglected to cut up the cake (my best friend's husband took care of it after).

• edited August 2016
    Oh no, that stinks, @twitterbird!
  • It would have to be a pretty close friend for me to sit in the rain and watch them get married. Like best friend level friend.

So for my cocktail hour I had arranged some cracker, cheese, meat, fruit trays. We picked them up at a local grocery store and asked the caterer to put them out at the appointed time. They said no problem. Found out much later in the evening that they never put out the trays. I was mortified. Of course they also left and neglected to cut up the cake (my best friend's husband took care of it after).

Hopefully they didn't charge you for a cutting they never did!  Some caterers just are - yea - ...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards