Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wedding invitation Do's & Dont's...why are there Dont's?

13»

Re: Wedding invitation Do's & Dont's...why are there Dont's?

• Modern registries are very different from the old days (and I mean way back).  Back then, it was strictly for china/silver service.  You registered at a jewelry store (usually).  Families were not rich.  It was not uncommon for gifts to be a single place setting of silver (knife, fork, spoon) or one plate.  

• Ironring said:
    So they will be like me and not be bothered to look/completely forget and scramble to find an atm and card shop on the way to the ceremony. 
    Hey! But cash works too!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2016
    Modern registries are very different from the old days (and I mean way back).  Back then, it was strictly for china/silver service.  You registered at a jewelry store (usually).  Families were not rich.  It was not uncommon for gifts to be a single place setting of silver (knife, fork, spoon) or one plate.  
    Do you know what a single place setting of silver costs today?  Yikes!  Mine is now $750 for a place setting!  Glad I got it in the 1970s!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Ironring said:
    So they will be like me and not be bothered to look/completely forget and scramble to find an atm and card shop on the way to the ceremony. 
    Hey! But cash works too!
    Thank goodness!!! Otherwise I'd never get my act together to get an actual present! 

Mostly tongue in cheek, but I definitely prefer to give cash for this exact reason. 
  • CMGragain said:
    Modern registries are very different from the old days (and I mean way back).  Back then, it was strictly for china/silver service.  You registered at a jewelry store (usually).  Families were not rich.  It was not uncommon for gifts to be a single place setting of silver (knife, fork, spoon) or one plate.  
    Do you know what a single place setting of silver costs today?  Yikes!  Mine is now $750 for a place setting!  Glad I got it in the 1970s!

Are they gold?!?!?  Replacements Ltd and Ebay have been my "go to" places - And even my set is $40/fork, but my brother's set is $10/fork because it's a far more common style...
  • MesmrEwe said:
    CMGragain said:

Are they gold?!?!?  Replacements Ltd and Ebay have been my "go to" places - And even my set is $40/fork, but my brother's set is $10/fork because it's a far more common style...
    You can't possibly be talking about actual silver for $40/fork. The metal alone is worth more than that.  
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2016
    When I got my set, back in the 1970s, a three piece place setting of sterling was $45.  I bough a few spoons with a coupon from Bride's Magazine for $10 each.
    Of course, that was when you could by a house in suburban Maryland for $30,000.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards