Wedding Reception Forum

Anybody have any locked card box ideas?

Unfortunately my fiancé has some relatives that have a tendency to take what doesn't belong to them. Some due to a drug problem, some due to just a lack of morals in general. Granted, it's only like 3 different people but still, they're family and they'll be at our wedding. Obviously we're a little worried about the card and gift table with these people around. Anybody have any ideas on a locked card box that isn't too obvious? Most people don't know about these peoples issues and I don't want anybody offended by seeing an obviously locked box. Thanks!

Answers

• How about a locking file box that you could build your card box around? Box within a box that have slots that align.
  • Or find a small wooden chest that has a latch that can be locked and get a smaller ornate lock- make it look like the lock is part of the decor of the box.
  • edited September 2016
    Make sure the box is located somewhere obvious too. Just because the box is locked it doesn't mean someone might not be able to just take the whole thing. Also, have someone take the box and put it somewhere safe at some point during the reception. 

ETA: "obvious" as in plain view of everyone and not easy to casually take. 
  • What are you planning to do to secure your other guests' wallets and purses?  When I attend weddings, all purses are left on the floors, seats, or tables, while the guests are dancing, my own included.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • LD1970 said:
    What are you planning to do to secure your other guests' wallets and purses?  When I attend weddings, all purses are left on the floors, seats, or tables, while the guests are dancing, my own included.
    Good question!
  • Actually FI and I made our own box because I was adamant about having a lock on it. Mostly because I am paranoid. We are using this money to buy a house so damn straight I have good reason to be paranoid. You'll probably have to make your own since there isn't really any to buy

I took 2 of these wedding post boxes, put them back to back, cut a hole in the backs, riveted together and then made a slot at the top for cards with a lock while the other side was riveted shut. You could also get a birdcage card holder, make a card slot and then put a lock on the door which is simple. Or if you have a rustic theme or don't mind using a chest, use a wooden chest, lock the chest and wood glue the top to the bottom and then drill a slot at the top. Whatever you do, it will definitely come out great and it will have your own personal touch which is nice

Personalized Letter Box

• LD1970 said:
    What are you planning to do to secure your other guests' wallets and purses?  When I attend weddings, all purses are left on the floors, seats, or tables, while the guests are dancing, my own included.
    I always take it upon my own responsibility to watch my stuff ...
  • We were able to borrow a "wishing well" from a GM sister - but at a recent wedding they just used a cage with solid bottom half, but had it out in the open - right beside the signing portion {they didn't have a guest book, just a large panel with their engagement photo and you could sign :) it was a cute idea}

Also, you could look at places like TJ Maxx/Home Goods/Home Sense for boxes. Glue the top down and cut a hole at the top.

Regardless, have it open to everyone can see.
  • LD1970 said:
    I always take it upon my own responsibility to watch my stuff ...
    Lots of people do and still get their stuff stolen. Just saying.

Also, OP, not all drug addicts are thieves. That was uncalled for. You need to have compassion for your future in-laws, not assume the worst of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards