Wedding Reception Forum

How to Style Place Setting with no plates/utensils!

Hi all! My fiance and I hired an amazing SoCal taco stand to cater our wedding and they're providing plates, napkins, and utensils. They're higher end but we will not be getting cloth napkins, etc because we're on a very tight budget. 

I'm wondering how we can style our place settings/tables without utensils, napkins, or plates. We will have glasses and my fiance is creating handmade favors for our guests (wooden coasters with a quote about love and our initials). Also our centerpieces are going to be very low-key (small lantern with vines and a single purple rose on a wood board). 

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to style a place setting creatively and cheaply! 

Re: How to Style Place Setting with no plates/utensils!

• Can you put the paper napkins and plastic(I'm assuming) utensils at the places? Honestly, I think you would be better off using the money allocated for the favors for cloth napkins. I know most people wouldn't appreciate the work you FI did on the wooden coasters or really use them. JMHO
  • You can get chargers for less than $1 at most places, or maybe have some placemats printed with the menu?
    Invitations by Just Ink on Paper  oysters  by the sea  wedding themes  tablescape  Photography Michael and Carina Photography - wwwmichaelandcarinacom Invitations Just Ink On Paper - justinkonpapercom   Read More on SMP httpwwwstylemeprettycom20151012nautical-summer-wedding-in-maryland
    Gold  ivory wedding place setting idea - gold chargers white linens  menu cards with modern gold calligraphy Boudoir Moderne by Allie Lindsey Photography

P.s. sorry if pictures are massive
  • Loving the placemat idea! Thank you!
  • Can you put the paper napkins and plastic(I'm assuming) utensils at the places? Honestly, I think you would be better off using the money allocated for the favors for cloth napkins. I know most people wouldn't appreciate the work you FI did on the wooden coasters or really use them. JMHO
    Placemats are a great idea, as are some sort of menu to mark the places at the table. 

But I agree with the above poster who says to forgo the favors and use the money on something else. Why does someone else want a single coaster (or if a couple, 2 coasters) with your initials on them? Do you want 2 random wood coasters with someone else's initials on them? I know I don't. 
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2016
    One of my pet peeves is having to take utensils back to my seat at a wedding.  I would rather you spend the extra money on  something like

or this:

this:http://www.mrtakeoutbags.com/store/paper-napkin-rolls.html

They only cost about $65 for 100.  The napkins are linen-like (so thicker than your standard napkin) and you can just set them at each seat.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards