Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Writing Vows Together

My fiance and I have decided we'd like to write our own vows. I am a better writer/better at putting my thoughts into words than he is, and we figured this would remove some pressure. 

I am wondering if people have done this before and have recommendations for a format?

I also am toying of each of us still writing our own little 1-2-sentence vows before the rest together, but think maybe having a template for him would be a little bit more helpful.

Thoughts?

Re: Writing Vows Together

• While you're writing, remember that "vow" means "promise," so don't just write love letters.

I like the idea of each of you writing a couple of sentences, then taking it from there together.
  • Our plan is to use traditional vows as a base. There's tons of "traditional" vows depending on your denomination. I downloaded about four different versions and we will go through and make changes to exact wording based on what we like and don't like. 
  • I like the idea of working together.  It lessens the pressure on each individual partner and also avoids the potential awkwardness of lopsided vows.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards