Chit Chat

Do you write anything on your "No" RSVPs?

drglitterdrglitter member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited September 2016 in Chit Chat
If you're RSVPing no to a wedding, do you write anything? I've always checked no and written something like "Wish I could be there!" "Will miss getting to see you" "Best wishes!" etc.

Every no RSVP I've gotten so far has just had a check mark next to "regrets". 

Just curious what other people do. Just checking no seems so impersonal. But, maybe people think it's weird that I write something. 

Edited to fix a typo.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Do you write anything on your "No" RSVPs?

• Not always. 

My mom got the RSVPs so Im not sure if people wrote anything or not.  Or I do not recall if mom said something.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • If I am pretty close to the couple, I write a little note. DD received several notes on her no RSVPs. I saved them for her so she could read them - one was a fairly long note. She also received notes son several yes RSVPS.
  • Never. I just don't think about it or feel like I need to. 
  • We got a couple, "Sorry we'll miss it! Thank you for inviting us! We're so happy for you!"
  • I usually write in a note either way. For our wedding, I got a few just Xs in the decline spot, and a few novels on the back. I think it just depends on how wordy the person is...I wouldn't take it offensively.
  • If you really think about it, those fill in the blank RSVPs are impersonal, by nature. I'm not putting down the printed RSVPs; they are convenient for the invitees and the hosts and assure the responses are correctly addressed. In the old days, before the 60s or 70s, invitees responded by writing a note on their own stationary. 

If I'm not attending the wedding, but sending a gift, I will write my note in the gift card. If I don't know the couple well, and will not be sending a gift, I might add a very brief note on the back of the card. 

• I have to say the amount of the times I've had to RSVP no is pretty low.  Normally I've already been in contact with the couple before sending back the RSVP.  So I've never really felt the need.   The rare times we were not in contact with the couple then I would send a note.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I usually write a note. 

• Never. I always send a card if I'm invited to a wedding and can't attend, but I never write on the RSVP. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2016
    This is why those pre-printed RSVPs used to be considered rude.  If it bothers you, you can still properly send a personal note with regrets that you cannot attend.  (no reason necessary!), and best wishes for the couple.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I like to write a little note. Most of ours had something on them like "too close to our due date, wish we could be there!" Or "so excited for you, too bad we can't make it."
  • Never.

So far, any wedding I've been invited to is that of someone whom I would truly want to attend their wedding. Thus, I write a personal note in the card that I sent with their gift.
  • I never write anything. I think we only had something written on one of ours? And I think we didn't even get a couple declines back they were straight up word of mouth.
  • Our RSVPs were online and several people left notes regardless of their attendance, but I don't think I would write a note on an RSVP card I'm returning.
  • I think I've only declined one wedding in my adult life and we were obviously B-listed. Since we received the invitation after the RSVP date, the couple wrote "just let us know whenever you can!" or something like that. So I wrote a little "sorry we can't make it" and mailed it back like, the same day.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I don't think I've ever declined, but it would depend on the couple.  I may write "Sorry I couldn't make it!" or something if I was close.

• I don't think I've ever declined, but it would depend on the couple.  I may write "Sorry I couldn't make it!" or something if I was close.
    I was just about to write the same thing.
  • Thanks everybody. Good point about writing something in a card instead if you're sending one. I'm not offended, just curious.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards