Second Weddings

What did you do with your old wedding dress?

edited May 2016 in Second Weddings
I've been divorced for over 4 years now, planning a second wedding.
I don't know why I never did anything with my dress until now.
I've been going through boxes last weekend and decided it was time to get rid of it.
I donated it to a charity.

What did you do with yours?

Re: What did you do with your old wedding dress?

• I sold my gown from my first wedding on eBay, but it was shortly after the wedding and well before the divorce. It was a fairly expensive designer gown, so I was able to get a decent amount of money for it.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2016
    After 40 years, mine is still in a box in the storage room.  I wish I had donated it so that another bride could have enjoyed it as much as I did.  What a waste!
    Donate yours before it goes out of style.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • debbeaudebbeau member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Answer
    Mine is cleaned and boxed. I thought if I had a daughter she could have the option to wear it. I have a 14 daughter so we will see.
  • I never got to wear mine. My ex told me after purchasing the dress and deciding on a date and invitations that if I "wanted a wedding, [I] needed to find someone else to marry." I should have taken that advice. I ended up consigning my dress. 
  • My mother had hers cleaned, but unfortunately none of us (SIL, FW, or I) fit into it. FW is wearing her veil, though.
  • lc07lc07 member
    I donated mine.
  • I donated mine to Angel Gowns. It's an organization that takes wedding dresses and makes them into burial dresses for stillborn babies or infants or toddlers who pass away while in NICU or similar situations. The gowns are donated to the parents and families of these babies to be buried in. It's a great organization from what I understand. My mom kept her wedding dress for over 30 years and she donated hers to them as well. I know there's more then one company that does it but http://www.angelgowns.chauglie.com/ was where I gave mine too. 
  • Mine is still in the cupboard at my parent's house I think. I am sure I asked my mum to donate it somewhere, but I'm not sure if she has.
  • I still have my wedding dress and am planning on keeping it. I'm going through my second wedding because I'm a widow, not because I'm divorced. 
    Been waiting for you forever, now it's finally our time...
  • I did a trash the dress photo shoot with my first dress. I was a little bitter after my divorce, and it was the best way to let all that go.  I know a few ladies that waited until their 5 year anniversaries and then trashed their dresses with their husbands and kids, and those pictures are amazing. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited September 2016
    I have a cousin who simply gave hers a Viking funeral, and burned it.  (Very bitter divorce!)

Another friend had FOUR wedding dresses in her basement from previous marriages.  (Don't ask.)  When my sister announced her engagement, she invited her over and said, "Here!  Take your pick!"  My sister looked beautiful at her wedding, and saved the cost of a new dress.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I donated mine to Angel Gowns. It's an organization that takes wedding dresses and makes them into burial dresses for stillborn babies or infants or toddlers who pass away while in NICU or similar situations. The gowns are donated to the parents and families of these babies to be buried in. It's a great organization from what I understand. My mom kept her wedding dress for over 30 years and she donated hers to them as well. I know there's more then one company that does it but http://www.angelgowns.chauglie.com/ was where I gave mine too. 

I did this, but to Angel Gowns of Florida specifically.  I am a loss mom.  My firstborn son was born premature at 25 weeks gestation weighing 1lb 7oz.  I know from experience that there are no proper fitting clothing for babies this small, so there's nothing "nice" to bury them either, which is triple, quadruple heart wrenching. 

I donated my first marriage wedding gown last year and Angel Gowns of Florida sent me 3 gowns to specifically donate to my hospital here.  I can tell you honestly, these beautiful little gowns are a bright light of hope in a very dark time for these parents!

I will be donating my 2nd dress post wedding and my FI is 100% supportive.

{{ Superman's Zimrah }}

I did this, but to Angel Gowns of Florida specifically.  I am a loss mom.  My firstborn son was born premature at 25 weeks gestation weighing 1lb 7oz.  I know from experience that there are no proper fitting clothing for babies this small, so there's nothing "nice" to bury them either, which is triple, quadruple heart wrenching. 

I donated my first marriage wedding gown last year and Angel Gowns of Florida sent me 3 gowns to specifically donate to my hospital here.  I can tell you honestly, these beautiful little gowns are a bright light of hope in a very dark time for these parents!

I will be donating my 2nd dress post wedding and my FI is 100% supportive.

I wish I could love this a hundred times. And hug you. I'm sorry for your loss.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Mine is in my daughter's bedroom closet at her grandmother's house (my ex MIL). We are all still friends, so no hard feelings. She will most likely be a bigger size than I was at that time, but she can do what she wants with it. She's only 8 years old now. It's a beautiful black and white Maggie Sottero. 
  • Would it be weird if I wore my first wedding dress again for my second wedding? My bf doesn't care @ all, plus it's a gorgeous dress. Just wondering people's thoughts. I was going to sell it but we're getting engaged this year (he already told me, just not sure when) and the dress is altered to my body so it's not like I can go online & say "it's a size 4"... b/c it is not a true size 4 and I don't know if it would fit someone who wanted to buy it. Wearing it again just seems like the most logical choice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Would it be weird if I wore my first wedding dress again for my second wedding? My bf doesn't care @ all, plus it's a gorgeous dress. Just wondering people's thoughts. I was going to sell it but we're getting engaged this year (he already told me, just not sure when) and the dress is altered to my body so it's not like I can go online & say "it's a size 4"... b/c it is not a true size 4 and I don't know if it would fit someone who wanted to buy it. Wearing it again just seems like the most logical choice.

This post is a year old. The last comment was 6 months ago. It's considered rude in these forums to resurrect dead threads. Although you are giving sound advice.

This post is a year old. The last comment was 6 months ago. It's considered rude in these forums to resurrect dead threads. Although you are giving sound advice.

Didn't realize you were The Knot police. Resurrecting an old thread... wow so terrible.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Closing zombie thread

If there is a question related to the original topic, it's best to start a new thread because many of the original posters are no longer active on the boards. Plus, we want to encourage new conversations to keep the flow of the boards moving!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards