Chit Chat

Tear-Free

I don't know why people don't understand this, but maybe I'm in the wrong. When a baby shampoo says Tear free, no tears, or something of the sort, is that saying no tears as in the saline filled droplets from your eyes or no tears as in tangles in your hair?

Re: Tear-Free

• No tears as in eyes. The old Johnson and Johnson commercials said it out loud, and showed kids wiping their eyes off.
    J&J's website says No More Tears means formulated for ocular safety, but sooooo many people are saying that it means no tears as in no tangles that it has me questioning my sanity! 
  • No tears as in eyes. The old Johnson and Johnson commercials said it out loud, and showed kids wiping their eyes off.
    J&J's website says No More Tears means formulated for ocular safety, but sooooo many people are saying that it means no tears as in no tangles that it has me questioning my sanity! 
    I saw that too! People are dumb ;)

I've been seeing this lately on lists on the internet of "things you never knew" (you know, on Buzzfeed and whatnot) - the old Johnson & Johnson commercials said it out loud. It means eye tears, for sure. I have no idea why it's become a thing to say it means tears in hair.

Gotta love English, though...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've been seeing this lately on lists on the internet of "things you never knew" (you know, on Buzzfeed and whatnot) - the old Johnson & Johnson commercials said it out loud. It means eye tears, for sure. I have no idea why it's become a thing to say it means tears in hair.

Gotta love English, though...
    I'm wondering if other companies maybe do mean tangles but are piggybacking off of J&J's goodwill by saying tears. IDK. 

You are not the crazy one!  At least not this time ;).  It has always meant that they have a formula where, if the shampoo gets in your eyes, it does not irritate them.

I have very long hair.  That gets split ends like crazy.  And is an enormous tangle after I wash it.  I have never in my life described my hair as being "torn" or having a tear...pronounced "terr" not "TE-ar".  I have never heard anyone else use that term for their hair either.

I don't know what is wrong with people.  Are they just trying to be smart a**es because they have nothing better to do with their time?  Somebody also needs to tell them that "if you are allergic to any of the ingredients in this shampoo, do not use it".

I'm also now feeling like an old fogie, because I remember the commercials where you can hear the word pronounced "tears".  Pronounced like "tears" you cry, not "tears" you make if you rip a piece of paper. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

You are not the crazy one!  At least not this time ;).  It has always meant that they have a formula where, if the shampoo gets in your eyes, it does not irritate them.

I have very long hair.  That gets split ends like crazy.  And is an enormous tangle after I wash it.  I have never in my life described my hair as being "torn" or having a tear...pronounced "terr" not "TE-ar".  I have never heard anyone else use that term for their hair either.

I don't know what is wrong with people.  Are they just trying to be smart a**es because they have nothing better to do with their time?  Somebody also needs to tell them that "if you are allergic to any of the ingredients in this shampoo, do not use it".

I'm also now feeling like an old fogie, because I remember the commercials where you can hear the word pronounced "tears".  Pronounced like "tears" you cry, not "tears" you make if you rip a piece of paper. 

I think the whole "it means tears (like rips)" thing is an example of false information spreading on the internet and social media. Like, one idiot made the claim, and then other sites and people blindly believed it and re-posted it. Actually, that's one of my biggest pet peeves: People re-posting false information on social media without fact-checking. It takes two seconds to Google something to see if it's true. Snopes exists for a reason.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Honestly, I think it's both.
  • I've never heard or thought anything but tears as in the tears in your eyes.  (Not trying to push Johnson&Johnson, but their shampoo really doesn't bother my kids the way Aveeno, Babyganics, etc. do.)

Even if it were referring to tangled hair, which I don't think it is, I would still assume it to be tears, as in a child crying when having the knots brushed out of their hair not tear as in torn like paper.
  • eileenrob said:
    I've never heard or thought anything but tears as in the tears in your eyes.  (Not trying to push Johnson&Johnson, but their shampoo really doesn't bother my kids the way Aveeno, Babyganics, etc. do.)
    Babyganics is what started this today. I saw an article about a woman suing Babyganics because their tear-free shampoo caused chemical burns on her son's corneas and he'll probably have issues the rest of his life because of it. 

kaos16 said:
    Even if it were referring to tangled hair, which I don't think it is, I would still assume it to be tears, as in a child crying when having the knots brushed out of their hair not tear as in torn like paper.
    I've never thought a knot in my hair being ripped out was tearing either. I do not understand people.
  • kaos16 said:
    No tears as in eyes. The old Johnson and Johnson commercials said it out loud, and showed kids wiping their eyes off.

This is exactly what I thought.
  • When my daughter was two years old, she took the regular shampoo from the bathtub and poured it over her head.  When it ran into her eyes, she screamed in pain.  I put her in the shower to wash it off, and she screamed louder. 
    We saw her pediatrician later at the grocery store.  Her eyes were still inflamed from the shampoo.  He asked what happened.  I told him, and he laughed and said, "Well, she will never do THAT again!"
    This is what baby shampoo is all about.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I remember the commercial too. It's not more tears as in crying- it is designed to a certain pH and not to irritate the eyes should any shampoo get in.
    Honestly, I think it's both.

Then why would they sell No More Tangles spray separately if the shampoo alone was meant to prevent both crying and tangled hair?

I'm an old -- this bottle was a staple in my house for my fine, tangles-at-the-mere-mention-of-a-breeze hair in the 70s. 

• I used this on DD when she was a little girl. Combing out her fine hair was a nightmare!
  • kaos16 said:
    No tears as in eyes. The old Johnson and Johnson commercials said it out loud, and showed kids wiping their eyes off.

This is exactly what I thought.

Thanks!  I never thought of it that way.  Now I better understand why people may have gone that way.

Like another PP mentioned, for me, the commercials from my childhood are ingrained in my memory.  In them, young children are having their hair washed.  Not brushed.  And there is sudsy shampoo near their eyes, but they are still smiling and happy. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I never saw anything about J&J no tears, just the fish shaped shampoo one:

Image result for no more tears fish shampoo

So that shampoo meant no tangles, but J&J is no tears? English is a weird language. 

• I never saw anything about J&J no tears, just the fish shaped shampoo one:

Image result for no more tears fish shampoo

So that shampoo meant no tangles, but J&J is no tears? English is a weird language. 

I think even if you squirted J&J straight into your eye it would sting. Actually, I know it does because I got a stye and it was recommended to use J&J Baby shampoo to wash my lids, I was overly thorough and got some in my eye; it STUNG! And that was diluted. 

I just went to the L'Oreal website and this is what this shampoo says:

"No knots can resist the 2-in-1 formula of L’Oréal Kids. It helps prevent split ends and conditions dry hair, leaving hair soft and manageable. Gentle formula is great for all hair types. Ophthalmologist tested so it’s absolutely tear free."

• @DrillSergeantCat  hahaha, true.  So no matter what it means, no crying (or at least, not as much crying haha).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards