Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Late night snack?

drglitterdrglitter member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited September 2016 in Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
We need to choose a late night snack option for our reception. Anybody want to vote?

Descriptions are as follows:

Nachos: Fresh chips, taco meat, cheese sauce, pico de galo, green onions, jalapenos, sour cream, cilantro corn salsa & guacamole

Pizza: Personal pizzas, garlic oregano crust
          We choose two of these to offer:
          BBQ chicken, bacon
          Portabella mushroom florentine with tomatoes, spinach
          Alsatian with caramelized onions, bacon
          Beef shortrib, gorgonzola, caramelized onions
          Four cheese & pesto
          Artisan pepperoni
          Andouille sausage & shrimp, peppers, onions

Wings: Buffalo, BBQ and honey chili wings, celery, blue cheese, ranch

Sliders and Dogs: Mini all-beef hot dogs, egg bun, wagyu beef sliders, brioche bun, lettuce, tomato, onion, ketchup, mustard, pickle, bacon mayonnaise

Sundae Bar: Chocolate and vanilla ice cream.
                   Toppings: Caramel, hot fudge, godiva whipped cream, banana chips,                        chocolate covered bacon, sprinkles, fresh berry compote, chopped                            peanuts, cherries, toffee crumbles, min chocolate chip cookies 

(If you choose pizza, which one(s) would you want)?

Thanks!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Late night snack? 42 votes

Nachos
19% 8 votes
Pizza
40% 17 votes
Wings
4% 2 votes
Sliders and Dogs
19% 8 votes
Sundae Bar
14% 6 votes
Those all sound terrible. I'd rather go home hungry.
2% 1 vote

Re: Late night snack?

• Sliders and pizza are always big hits.

Wings are too messy, I would not do those.  

I'm pretty neutral towards the sundae bar, but IMO savory foods late night are better than sweets.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I agree with everything @lyndausvi said. Nachos are my favorite food, I would eat them everyday if H didn't complain, but they're hard to eat en mass and messy. Same with wings, too messy. 

For pizza I'd vote the four cheese and either BBQ chicken/bacon, carmelized onion/bacon, or artisanal pepperoni. Also, these sound amazing. 
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2016
    Some of the biggest hits DH does for late night foods are sliders, chicken and waffle mini-sandwiches and breakfast burritos.  

Grab and go foods are the best.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I agree with PPs. You don't want anything messy or where the guests have to sit again to eat. DD had bbq sliders, gourmet tater tots with garlic aioli (served in a paper cone) and cake pops. 
  • I want nachos right now and always but I think pizza sounds like the easier to serve.
  • I vote sliders; but is there is a local food your area is known for?
  • edited September 2016
    How about all of the above?

I originally voted sundae bar but am now thinking, like @lyndausvi, that savory may be a better choice than sweet.
  • Definitely savoury vs. sweet. You already have a wedding cake/cupcakes and possibly a dessert course with dinner.

We had nachos as part of our late night buffet- no mess issues. There were small plates to put them on. Our late night buffet also included pizza (it was the simple "bread" pizza) and some cookies/pastries.

Pizza is always a good option.

Sliders and dogs are good too, but sometimes they are a bit "much" if you've had a big dinner course. At a friend's wedding, there was ample food throughout the night. Their late night course had sliders, mini corn dogs and these cool hatch french fries- they were hardly touched because everyone was full. It was sad :( (because I was too full to stuff my face further ;) ).

I agree chicken wings are messy.

My ultimate vote is for nachos or pizza.
    For pizza I would do the four cheese & pesto, and the BBQ chicken and bacon. Try to pick two opposites. With the above, you've got a meat and vegetarian option. The portabella mushroom one looks good too. I'd stay away from shrimp on pizza, as shrimp is polarizing.
  • I voted "these all sound terrible" not because any of them are so bad (pizza sounds best to me) but because I think late night snacks are unnecessary and a waste. All of those options sound messy and people just ate a big meal and I think it takes people away from the dance floor. I'd rather you just have a platter of cookies on my way out the door or a nice edible favor I can snack on. 
  • Thanks everyone.

@kimmiinthemitten there's nothing specific the area's known for that's an option. FH's family runs a beef farm, so, for them, the sliders and dogs would probably be preferable, but, probably not on my side.

@STARMOON44 you're probably right, but it's a free upgrade, so we either use it or lose it anyway.

FH loved the pizza at the tasting, so that's probably what we'll lean toward.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I voted pizza and would pick the pepperoni and the cheese.  All-around those seem to be crowd faves and not too polarizing. 
  • I voted "these all sound terrible" not because any of them are so bad (pizza sounds best to me) but because I think late night snacks are unnecessary and a waste. All of those options sound messy and people just ate a big meal and I think it takes people away from the dance floor. I'd rather you just have a platter of cookies on my way out the door or a nice edible favor I can snack on. 
    Maybe a waste for you, but we see the majority of the food consumed if dinner and late-night snacks are more than 2 hours apart.  Dancing and drinking makes people hungrier.

If dinner and late-night snacks are within 2 hours of each other then are more of a waste.

Younger people tend to be drinking and dancing more and are more likely to eat late night snacks more than older people.   Not a hard fast rule, but just from my own observations.

• pizza!  I like the shortribs and mushroom options
    *********************************************************************************

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2016
    I love a late night buffet. If the B&G want me drinking and dancing all night, I need snacks ;).

But I do think the late night buffet can be simple- like I said, at a friend's wedding they had a very fulfilling savory spread, and not much was eaten. A slice of pizza or a small plate of nachos is light and easy.
  • Sliders and dogs sound great and maybe french fries also.
  • lyndausvi said:
    I voted "these all sound terrible" not because any of them are so bad (pizza sounds best to me) but because I think late night snacks are unnecessary and a waste. All of those options sound messy and people just ate a big meal and I think it takes people away from the dance floor. I'd rather you just have a platter of cookies on my way out the door or a nice edible favor I can snack on. 
    Maybe a waste for you, but we see the majority of the food consumed if dinner and late-night snacks are more than 2 hours apart.  Dancing and drinking makes people hungrier.

If dinner and late-night snacks are within 2 hours of each other then are more of a waste.

Younger people tend to be drinking and dancing more and are more likely to eat late night snacks more than older people.   Not a hard fast rule, but just from my own observations.
    I've only been to one wedding with late night snacks and they came out maybe 1.5 hours (or less) after dinner. It was too bad because it looked way better than the regular food but I was stuffed. If they would have waited an extra hour I think more people would have partaken
  • If the nachos are build-your-own, that is my vote.  Otherwise I vote pizza.  I agree that wings would be too messy and that savory is better than sweet.

For pizzas, I would put pepperoni as my #1 pick because it is always a crowd-pleaser.  How adventurous/picky are your guests on the whole?  If I were planning this, I would want to serve one meat and one veggie option.  My personal choice for the non-meat would be the mushroom florentine, but if you have a lot of finicky folks that probably wouldn't go over too well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards