Chit Chat

Unpopular Opinion Time?

Re: Unpopular Opinion Time?

• I don't want kids in my home. It's small, it's not even remotely kid proofed, kids stress out my animals and the only toys we have in our house, are not for kids. So I have some butt hurt friends who complain I never invite them over. Yeah. I know. It's because you'll bring your kid even if I ask you not to.
    I can see both sides to this.   My aunt has said that the kids in her house have damaged more than her dogs.   That makes sense.

But she also doesn't have a baby-proofed home and I think despite best intentions doesn't get how fast kids can break things.  

As a mother, I want to go places without kids, but it can be a PITA when trying to arrange to do it.   Babysitting is freaking expensive and leaving the kids with DH then means that he's not able to do anything either.       But I won't show up to anyone's home with an uninvited kid either.   
  • I like Seinfeld but haaaaaate Curb Your Enthusiasm. Everyone always seems to find that super surprising (and super wrong!) but they done seem similar at all to me. I just do not understand how anyone could find Curb Your Enthusiasm even mildly amusing when I find it purely abrasive. I like other forms of dry humor, but I Just. Do. Not. Find. It. Funny. 
  • I don't like Dunkin Donuts munchkins. For some reason they have grossed me out since I was a child.
  • I HATE whipped cream. The texture is weird, and reminds me of shaving cream. 

I LOVE cleaning, organizing and packing. I will often volunteer to help people pack. I find it fun. 
  • I don't like when cartoon animals have human hairstyles. I don't know why but it makes me uncomfortable and angry. Also Brooklyn isn't cool anymore
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kylexo said:
    i don't like chocolate, coffee or pumpkin spice stuff. i'm basically the worst.
    I worked at a cafe through college and part of grad school, and I've always hated coffee- before, during, and after that job.  I can't stand pumpkin anything.  There are so many other great autumnal flavors (Apple, cinnamon, maple...) I dong understand the pumpkin obsession one bit.
  • banana468 said:
    I don't want kids in my home. It's small, it's not even remotely kid proofed, kids stress out my animals and the only toys we have in our house, are not for kids. So I have some butt hurt friends who complain I never invite them over. Yeah. I know. It's because you'll bring your kid even if I ask you not to.
    I can see both sides to this.   My aunt has said that the kids in her house have damaged more than her dogs.   That makes sense.

But she also doesn't have a baby-proofed home and I think despite best intentions doesn't get how fast kids can break things.  

As a mother, I want to go places without kids, but it can be a PITA when trying to arrange to do it.   Babysitting is freaking expensive and leaving the kids with DH then means that he's not able to do anything either.       But I won't show up to anyone's home with an uninvited kid either.   
    I have no problem visiting friends who have kids at their homes or meeting up at a kid friendly location.  I've got a couple friends with bees in their bonnets over the fact that I don't invite them over, well, I know they will bring their kid. I'm flat out not comfortable with that. 

• banana468 said:
    I don't want kids in my home. It's small, it's not even remotely kid proofed, kids stress out my animals and the only toys we have in our house, are not for kids. So I have some butt hurt friends who complain I never invite them over. Yeah. I know. It's because you'll bring your kid even if I ask you not to.

I have no problem visiting friends who have kids at their homes or meeting up at a kid friendly location.  I've got a couple friends with bees in their bonnets over the fact that I don't invite them over, well, I know they will bring their kid. I'm flat out not comfortable with that. 
    Yeah, it's a crap thing to show up when you know the friend isn't cool with it.

• lyndausvi said:
    I'm going to jump on the hatred of showers.   Especially now when everyone is saying "I don't need stuff, so just give us money". 

IDK? How about not having a shower instead of finding "unique" ways to still get money/shit from your friends/family?
    I didn't have a shower for obvious reasons. And we have a crap load of stuff. But, I would LOVE to get some upgrades. I absolute HATE spending money on practical stuff, like kitchen stuff, linens, any type of home decor (UO I suppose??) so if someone could do that for me, that would be huge. 

• I can't stand hard shell tortillas - I'm a soft tortilla girl.

I also can't stand Jack Johnson.
  • lyndausvi said:
    I'm going to jump on the hatred of showers.   Especially now when everyone is saying "I don't need stuff, so just give us money". 

IDK? How about not having a shower instead of finding "unique" ways to still get money/shit from your friends/family?
    I'm always surprised at how many people feel this way- I love getting stuff and would much rather have actual presents than money! It's more special to me- a person took the time to pick out a gift for me and I can always think of them when I use it. Plus it avoids the issue of how to spend the money- I know I should put it away in savings but I also feel like since it's a gift I deserve to do something fun with it, so one of three things happens: I put it in savings and it becomes a tiny and unmemorable part of my larger nest egg, I spend it on something frivolous and feel guilty, or I delay so long deciding between those two options I end up frittering it away on things like getting gas, getting take out etc. Just give me the nice fancy crockpot that I will enjoy using for years to come so I don't have to make these decisions!

I love giving and getting presents so I love showers. I don't even mind the games if they aren't TOO embarrassing!

All of this is exactly how I feel! Money is great, but it will almost always just sit in my savings account or end up being used for groceries or bills.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I can't stand hard shell tortillas - I'm a soft tortilla girl.

I also can't stand Jack Johnson.
    I got tacobell the other day from going to apt to apt, just got the big box and didn't really know what was in it but it sounded easy and simple. 

Now I have to get my car professionally cleaned.   I mean, I guess I could do it myself....

• When people have children or pets with a name that is only 2 syllables and they shorten it even further as a nickname. Drives me nuts. It's already 2 syllables!

For example, Mason has become "Mase", Lola became "Lo".
  • My unpopular opinion is that I like attending and throwing showers, and I love kids.  I'm not really a music person.

• edited October 2016
    I don't give a shit about celebrities unless they did something really awesome or really ignorant. 

Also, I don't own a TV (we watch everything on the laptops or iPad) and have no desire to change that.
  • I hate cartoons that aren't for children.

The Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, etc.

Super creepy.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • eileenrob said:
    kylexo said:
    i don't like chocolate, coffee or pumpkin spice stuff. i'm basically the worst.
    I worked at a cafe through college and part of grad school, and I've always hated coffee- before, during, and after that job.  I can't stand pumpkin anything.  There are so many other great autumnal flavors (Apple, cinnamon, maple...) I dong understand the pumpkin obsession one bit.
    Some ppl just really like pumpkin.  I personally don't care for maple, not really a fan of apples unless it's a spiced or mulled cider, and have always liked winter squashes, including pumpkin. . .even before PSL became a thing and everyone decided to create "basic bitch" memes.

I think hipsters are basic bitches for their over hopped beer obsessions ;-)

UO: I'm not on the GoT bandwagon, and I think if you need to be constantly killing your characters- like every damn one- you're a lazy author.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I can't believe "PSL" is a thing. Not the actual drink itself (which I do not like), but the acronym. I see it everywhere this year. WTF?

• drunkenwitchdrunkenwitch member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited October 2016
    I can't stand the old series of Doctor Who. I find it poorly written, badly acted and offensively sexist.  Way beyond sexist, I can't  even forgive it for the time it was written in (like I can for a lot* of the original Star Trek series, it's sexist by today's standards but at least the women on the show were portrayed as intelligent and competent and important members of the crew). I only watch the Doctor Who reboot. 

*ETA with the exception of the episode where the message was women can't be captains. For the record, Gene Roddenberry was no longer with the show when that happened and was digusted by that episode. 

• I'm with you @PrettyGirlLost I have zero desire to watch GoT. I don't even know about the character killing, I just think it looks shit. And I enjoy nudity in my boxed sets as much as the next gal.

• I'm with you @PrettyGirlLost I have zero desire to watch GoT. I don't even know about the character killing, I just think it looks shit. And I enjoy nudity in my boxed sets as much as the next gal.

--stuck in box--

It's so nice to know I'm not alone in my complete lack of interest in Game of Thrones. I have a lot of friends who are into the show and I'm SO sick of hearing about it and being told I should watch it.  Frankly, I'm looking forward to it ending.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2016
    I can't stand the old series of Doctor Who. I find it poorly written, badly acted and offensively sexist.  Way beyond sexist, I can't  even forgive it for the time it was written in (like I can for a lot* of the original Star Trek series, it's sexist by today's standards but at least the women on the show were portrayed as intelligent and competent and important members of the crew). I only watch the Doctor Who reboot. 

*ETA with the exception of the episode where the message was women can't be captains. For the record, Gene Roddenberry was no longer with the show when that happened and was digusted by that episode. 
    Just be happy if you can't remember the 1960s and 70s.  I had to live through them!  Once the James Bond movies became huge hits, real acting roles for women were very scarce.  Thank God for changing times!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I can't believe "PSL" is a thing. Not the actual drink itself (which I do not like), but the acronym. I see it everywhere this year. WTF?

I just recently figured out that it stood for pumpkin spice latte.

There's two different types of season tickets at Soldier field and one is called personal seat license, so PSL. I think personal seat license every time I see PSL.

I also don't watch GoT, walking dead, PLL, most of the shows that seemingly everyone does (or at least talks about on facebook).

Maybe an UO - I don't know why but I hate when people post huge folders of pictures on facebook. Like, albums of 100+ honeymoon pictures, shit like that. I get that some people save their shit to FB, but I think it's annoying.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • My DH loves Walking Dead and GOT. I've seen parts of a few episodes of each, but I'm not enough of a fan to get all worked up about it like he does. He and some friends of ours get together every Sunday for GOT; I play with the baby.
  • In addition to GOT, Twilight, Hunger Games, Harry Potter any of those series things, I can't watch Breaking Bad.  The writing was amazing, and I tried really hard to get into it, but I needed a break after every episode to get over what happened in the last one.  It took a week to get over the bathub in the first (?) episode.  It would have taken me a decade to watch the series.
  • Everyone clutch your pearls and brace for it.  Pictures.

Unless it is business related, neither my H or I take pictures.  I don't like being in pictures.  I don't want to take them.  Pictures largely don't interest me at all.

For example, my H and I just came back from a week's trip in Boston.  We took one pic the entire time we were there.

I sometimes feel like an alien.  In a world where so many take a pic of every meal they eat, every time their child does any blessed thing, and multiple selfies a day. 

I'm mostly like this. Except vacations. H and I take an ass-ton of vacation pictures, but they're all scenery or animals or something, not of us.

H and I went to a wedding Saturday and I asked my sister to take a picture of us since we have probably 10 pictures together (outside of wedding photos). It was awkward but a nice enough picture. I can't remember the last time H and I took a picture together.

I've never taken a selfie unless it was to get opinions on an outfit from my internet friends.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I can't stand the old series of Doctor Who. I find it poorly written, badly acted and offensively sexist.  Way beyond sexist, I can't  even forgive it for the time it was written in (like I can for a lot* of the original Star Trek series, it's sexist by today's standards but at least the women on the show were portrayed as intelligent and competent and important members of the crew). I only watch the Doctor Who reboot. 

Interesting. My problem with the Doctor Who reboot is that the companions always seem to turn into love interests. The part of the old series that I liked was that there were usually multiple companions at a time, and none of them seemed romantically interested in the Doctor.
    "Marriage is so disruptive to one's social circle." - Mr. Woodhouse
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards