Wedding Party

Personalized gifts - use their title of bridesmaid or no?

Hi All!

I am getting my ladies personalized water tumblers for Christmas from an etsy shop. I was starting to list out the personalizing portion of the order and then started to wonder...as cute as it is to have "Bridesmaid," "Maid of Honor," and "Bride," on everything, will anyone actually want that long-term?

Do you still use your mugs/bags/robes/etc. that say bridesmaid or bride on them or would you have preferred it just had your name on it to begin with so that it could be used long after the wedding occurred?  

Just looking for some opinions on this. I don't want to give everyone a gift they can only use for 6 months and then they never touch it again. 

Thanks!

Re: Personalized gifts - use their title of bridesmaid or no?

• Hi All!

I am getting my ladies personalized water tumblers for Christmas from an etsy shop. I was starting to list out the personalizing portion of the order and then started to wonder...as cute as it is to have "Bridesmaid," "Maid of Honor," and "Bride," on everything, will anyone actually want that long-term?

Do you still use your mugs/bags/robes/etc. that say bridesmaid or bride on them or would you have preferred it just had your name on it to begin with so that it could be used long after the wedding occurred?  

Just looking for some opinions on this. I don't want to give everyone a gift they can only use for 6 months and then they never touch it again. 

Thanks!
    No. The vast majority of wedding party members will not want anything with "Bridesmaid," "Maid of Honor," etc. or the couple's names or the wedding date or any reference to the wedding at all.

"Personalizing" a gift does not mean putting "Wedding!" or the like on it. It means selecting a gift that is consistent with the recipient's personal interests and tastes -- not the bride's, groom's, or couple's.
  • I always appreciate a water tumbler, but I wouldn't be interested in one with my name on it- and I definitely wouldn't want one that said "Bridesmaid".  I'm with PP that the best way to go is to shop for your WP members like it's their birthday.
  • Thanks for the responses!
  • I see you already have your answer, but I just wanted to add that after the last wedding I was in, the Bride gifted us BMs a single wine glass with a bluish tint and my initial on it...I don't drink wine (or anything other than water mostly) and I sure as hell don't know what to do with a single Glass with the letter "A" scrolled into it!!  While I appreciated the gesture, I would have much rather had gotten nothing at all then a glass that sits in a cabinet un-used. 
  • I see you already have your answer, but I just wanted to add that after the last wedding I was in, the Bride gifted us BMs a single wine glass with a bluish tint and my initial on it...I don't drink wine (or anything other than water mostly) and I sure as hell don't know what to do with a single Glass with the letter "A" scrolled into it!!  While I appreciated the gesture, I would have much rather had gotten nothing at all then a glass that sits in a cabinet un-used. 
    @cowgirl8238 - Now that I have a baby, we can "accidentally" break that sort of stuff!
    @cowgirl8238 - Now that I have a baby, we can "accidentally" break that sort of stuff!

I think I am clumsy enough to just "accidentally" knock it of the shelf...I would sell it off if I could...I don't know maybe I am mean but if it gets me $5 then that's lunch for a day!
  • Was just a BM in SIL wedding, the entire WP received 'personalized' gifts.  The GM got beer mugs with their name, groomsmen and the wedding date; the BM received a wine glasses with the same.  After spending roughly $800 on clothes, gifts and other events to be a member of this WP, a $10 glass for our gift was not appreciated.  DH & I packed them away in the shit we'll never use section of the cabinet...maybe we'll forget them when we move.
    Anniversary
  • My H got all the guys {MC also because we basically considered him as part of WP} a personalized knife. He got lucky that the guys are all into that kinda thing. Some use it, some don't.
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2016
    I see you already have your answer, but I just wanted to add that after the last wedding I was in, the Bride gifted us BMs a single wine glass with a bluish tint and my initial on it...I don't drink wine (or anything other than water mostly) and I sure as hell don't know what to do with a single Glass with the letter "A" scrolled into it!!  While I appreciated the gesture, I would have much rather had gotten nothing at all then a glass that sits in a cabinet un-used. 

Cats also work.  Not that I know from experience... ;)

ETA:

Was just a BM in SIL wedding, the entire WP received 'personalized' gifts.  The GM got beer mugs with their name, groomsmen and the wedding date; the BM received a wine glasses with the same.  After spending roughly $800 on clothes, gifts and other events to be a member of this WP, a $10 glass for our gift was not appreciated.  DH & I packed them away in the shit we'll never use section of the cabinet...maybe we'll forget them when we move.
    I posted on this a few weeks ago in the flower girl gifts thread, but my DD got one of these when she was a flower girl.  Only because she was a kid, she got a plastic tumbler instead of a wine glass/pint glass.  She really, really did not care about that cup.  I think we pitched it when we moved a couple of years later. 
  • I agree with the above suggestions - skip the titles and names! They're gonna love using those gifts! If you really want to put their names on it, a discreet location will do. Make sure that it's printed in a classy way too.