Chit Chat

Thing's that don't make any damn sense

Like, the Wheel of Fortune.  

First of all, why do so many people buy multiple vowels?  You're just giving your money away.  

And secondly, why do all of the contestants yell their choices at Pat Sajak?  He's standing 10 feet away from you.  He can hear you say "A."

What doesn't make any sense to you?

Re: Thing's that don't make any damn sense

• OMG I hate people who buy vowels, especially right at the beginning. Or you can tell they know the puzzle but go ahead and buy a vowel - umm save your $250 and just guess because if that vowel isn't in there you lose your turn the same as if you guessed wrong.

I also hate people who rack up like $5000 plus a trip and a Wild card and then keep spinning even though a 4 year old could solve the puzzle and then they lose. Stop being greedy and collect your prize
  • I wonder if they're all prepped to shout out the answers so the camera can pick it up?  But I noticed that too.  Has been from the beginning of (WOF) time.

Mine has to do with the upcoming election.  Why is America still using the electoral college (don't want to get into a debate about it, it's just a thing that never made sense to me)?
    my theory has always been the shouting is for it to be heard/caught on camera and then also enthusiasm. 

• Mine has to do with the upcoming election.  Why is America still using the electoral college (don't want to get into a debate about it, it's just a thing that never made sense to me)?
    Agree! It used to serve a purpose, but we really need to switch to the popular vote now. It's the only way our votes really matter.

• Mine has to do with the upcoming election.  Why is America still using the electoral college (don't want to get into a debate about it, it's just a thing that never made sense to me)?
    Agree! It used to serve a purpose, but we really need to switch to the popular vote now. It's the only way our votes really matter.
    Not necessarily in favor of keeping the electoral college, but I saw this (old) article recently and thought it presented an interesting case, if you're genuinely interested in why some people are in favor of keeping it:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/view_from_chicago/2012/11/defending_the_electoral_college.html
  • kvruns said:
    OMG I hate people who buy vowels, especially right at the beginning. Or you can tell they know the puzzle but go ahead and buy a vowel - umm save your $250 and just guess because if that vowel isn't in there you lose your turn the same as if you guessed wrong.

I also hate people who rack up like $5000 plus a trip and a Wild card and then keep spinning even though a 4 year old could solve the puzzle and then they lose. Stop being greedy and collect your prize

Yeah I get irrationally angry at the vowel people who clearly know the puzzle.

I always thought the yellers wanted Vannah to hear since she's all the way over there. Still annoying.

I know all reality is scripted and not reality at all, but I've watched a few dating shows where one of the contestants is like, "ya know, I'm not really that into [star of the show]" and everyone else gets all mad and acts like the person is a huge dick (not in a good way). So, just because you're one of 25 girls going for one guy, you have to be instantaneously head over heels with him, but it's totes fine when he's just not that into you? That irritates me.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Not necessarily in favor of keeping the electoral college, but I saw this (old) article recently and thought it presented an interesting case, if you're genuinely interested in why some people are in favor of keeping it:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/view_from_chicago/2012/11/defending_the_electoral_college.html

I admit to being a bit of a freak in how much I hate and despise the electoral college.  I really thought there would be an uproar about getting rid of it when Bush won the electoral votes, but Al Gore won the popular vote.  Nope.  Not even a murmur.  Business as usual.

@TheMostHappy15, thanks for posting the link.  It at least outlines some of the factors in play.  Though I do find it hilarious that the very reasons it is awful are given as examples as to why some people/entities want to keep it.  For example, for citizens who live in a small population state, their vote essentially counts for twice as much as for citizens who live in a large population state.  This article doesn't specifically say that, but I've seen that stat in others.  So much for our American ideal of "majority rules".

I also suspect the electoral college causes a lot of people to NOT exercise their right to vote.  I mean, if you're NOT in a swing state, why even bother?  The state you live in always goes the same "color" anyway.  I'm not really saying don't bother, but can understand that attitude.

For some more fun, do you all realize there is no law whatsoever that the electoral reps who cast the vote for their respective states even have to cast it for the candidate their state voted for.  Obviously that is the "custom/obligation", but it is not a requirement.  Heck, that group of people could go have a wild, drunken night before the vote and collude to make some rando third party candidate on the ballot the next President of the USA.  Just for giggles.  Sure that won't happen, but it shouldn't even be a possibility.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lyndausvi said:
    JJ Watt hanging out on game day with Peyton Manning making cupcakes on the Papa John commercial.   He's an active player, why the hell would he being hanging out with Peyton on game day?

That all said, now that JJ is out for the season it's like Papa John's ad team was psychic or something.
    haha H had the same thoughts. And he was like why would they be hanging out anyway?! I figured JJ had an endorsement deal with Papa Johns but we still said it should have been a Tuesday or something.

I haven't been up on my football this year for some reason, I didn't know he was out for the season
  • kvruns said:
    lyndausvi said:
    JJ Watt hanging out on game day with Peyton Manning making cupcakes on the Papa John commercial.   He's an active player, why the hell would he being hanging out with Peyton on game day?

That all said, now that JJ is out for the season it's like Papa John's ad team was psychic or something.
    haha H had the same thoughts. And he was like why would they be hanging out anyway?! I figured JJ had an endorsement deal with Papa Johns but we still said it should have been a Tuesday or something.

I haven't been up on my football this year for some reason, I didn't know he was out for the season
    JJ and Peyton are PJ's major spokes people.   I "get" wanting them together, but on game day?   That makes NO SENSE!   JJ is an active player.  

At least DirectTV had Eli tell Peyton that he would be a little busy and not able to hang out on game day.

JJ had a second back surgery and is on IR.    He came back way too soon from the surgery in July.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • kvruns said:
    lyndausvi said:

I didn't realize JJ was out either.  But that always bothered me the first time I saw the commercial.  At least the one with Peyton and Eli (Direct TV?) had Eli telling him he needs to play football that day!
  • @short+sassy

Just for the record, 29 states have "faithless elector" laws that punish electors who don't vote properly in the electoral college.  But I overall agree on the uselessness of the electoral college.

I don't know why my students often staple their scantron to their test when they turn it in.  Like, do they not realize I have to run the scantrons through a machine?

SaveSave
  • monkeysip said:
    @short+sassy

Just for the record, 29 states have "faithless elector" laws that punish electors who don't vote properly in the electoral college.  But I overall agree on the uselessness of the electoral college.

I don't know why my students often staple their scantron to their test when they turn it in.  Like, do they not realize I have to run the scantrons through a machine?

Thanks for the info on that, at least it is something.  But it sounds like something done "after the fact" and the damage is already done.

I like paper clips 10x more than staples for much the same reason, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also, as the risk of sounding like a snarky ass, apostrophes when something isn't possessive don't make any damn sense. :P
    I feel this way about "unnecessary quotation marks" and people who sign their name on Facebook comments.
  • Also, as the risk of sounding like a snarky ass, apostrophes when something isn't possessive don't make any damn sense. :P
    I feel this way about "unnecessary quotation marks" and people who sign their name on Facebook comments.
    My last boss and I got into a disagreement because her husband wrote an article for our newsletter regarding our annual fundraising event and it was the first year we didn't give it a name. Every time he wrote annual event he put it in quotations. It was my job to proofread and make corrections. She was PISSED when I took all the quotation marks out. I then had to explain to her why they didn't belong and how it appeared sarcastic. 

I admit to being a bit of a freak in how much I hate and despise the electoral college.  I really thought there would be an uproar about getting rid of it when Bush won the electoral votes, but Al Gore won the popular vote.  Nope.  Not even a murmur.  Business as usual.

@TheMostHappy15, thanks for posting the link.  It at least outlines some of the factors in play.  Though I do find it hilarious that the very reasons it is awful are given as examples as to why some people/entities want to keep it.  For example, for citizens who live in a small population state, their vote essentially counts for twice as much as for citizens who live in a large population state.  This article doesn't specifically say that, but I've seen that stat in others.  So much for our American ideal of "majority rules".

I also suspect the electoral college causes a lot of people to NOT exercise their right to vote.  I mean, if you're NOT in a swing state, why even bother?  The state you live in always goes the same "color" anyway.  I'm not really saying don't bother, but can understand that attitude.

For some more fun, do you all realize there is no law whatsoever that the electoral reps who cast the vote for their respective states even have to cast it for the candidate their state voted for.  Obviously that is the "custom/obligation", but it is not a requirement.  Heck, that group of people could go have a wild, drunken night before the vote and collude to make some rando third party candidate on the ballot the next President of the USA.  Just for giggles.  Sure that won't happen, but it shouldn't even be a possibility.

Yeah, I thought the most compelling reason given was the certainty of outcome thing... it seems like there would be a lot more recounts and legal battles if it was purely popular vote... which is ultimately reflective of the fact that every vote counts for more under that system, but still it could get out of control.

I read that a split of the electoral college and popular vote (Trump winning the former, Clinton the latter) is more likely this year than it has been in a long time (though still not likely overall). I wonder if that would lead to enough of an outcry to get rid of the electoral college- in 2000 it was easy enough to say "Yeah this is dumb but it hasn't happened in over a century so probably NBD," but if it happened twice in 16 years I think we'd have to acknowledge we have a problem.
  • I can't spell definitely without spellcheck. I'm almost 37, have a bachelors degree, and am marrying a man with an education certificate in English and that word escapes me everytime. 
    Do you spell it defenitely?  Because I got a secret too.  I do the same thing.  But my spelling sucks all around, so no surprise there.

• I can't spell definitely without spellcheck. I'm almost 37, have a bachelors degree, and am marrying a man with an education certificate in English and that word escapes me everytime. 
    There are a lot of words I can't spell. But I sure as hell know they are wrong when I proof read something.  I even get 100% on all those "do you know the correct spelling" test floating around FB.

It's mind-blowing to me I can look at it and know the right spelling, but can't spell it myself without spell check.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I spell pretty well, but I always misspell things when I write them really big.  There's something about writing big that leads to errors.  As a teacher, I write on the white board a lot, and am always misspelling things.  

One time I wrote "Grammar" on the board and spelled it "Grammer".  A student corrected me.  *Headdesk*

SaveSave
  • For the record, WOF is on now and they all have mics. Stop yelling!
  • Re: electoral college. I strongly dislike both Clinton and Trump and I don't wish to vote for either. Because I live in Alaska, a strongly red state with a grand total of two electoral votes where the winner is declared hours before our polls even close (side note, this should not be allowed because there are other significant issues on the ballot besides the presidential race and it just discourages people from going to the polls) I plan to vote for a third-party and I won't affect the race at all. I don't like the electoral college.
  • Re: electoral college. I strongly dislike both Clinton and Trump and I don't wish to vote for either. Because I live in Alaska, a strongly red state with a grand total of two electoral votes where the winner is declared hours before our polls even close (side note, this should not be allowed because there are other significant issues on the ballot besides the presidential race and it just discourages people from going to the polls) I plan to vote for a third-party and I won't affect the race at all. I don't like the electoral college.
    The minimal electoral votes is 3.  2 senators per state and representatives is based on population, with a minimum of 1. So even Alaska gets 3.  I'm from Delaware  - not living there now, but I get it.  We get 3 and we are on the East Coast.  It sucks to be the low man on the totem pole.

Other than that I agree.  I always thought it was BS that the poll results in east coast were announced.  By the time the mountain, pacific, Hawaii and Alaska come around the election is mostly decided. So people out there sometimes just give up because the more populated states in the east coast have "decided" our fate.   Nothing should be announced until the last state's voting is done, or maybe until more than 50% of their hour's of electing time is complete.    

• STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2016
    lyndausvi said:
    Re: electoral college. I strongly dislike both Clinton and Trump and I don't wish to vote for either. Because I live in Alaska, a strongly red state with a grand total of two electoral votes where the winner is declared hours before our polls even close (side note, this should not be allowed because there are other significant issues on the ballot besides the presidential race and it just discourages people from going to the polls) I plan to vote for a third-party and I won't affect the race at all. I don't like the electoral college.
    The minimal electoral votes is 3.  2 senators per state and representatives is based on population, with a minimum of 1. So even Alaska gets 3.  I'm from Delaware  - not living there now, but I get it.  We get 3 and we are on the East Coast.  It sucks to be the low man on the totem pole.

Other than that I agree.  I always thought it was BS that the poll results in east coast were announced.  By the time the mountain, pacific, Hawaii and Alaska come around the election is mostly decided. So people out there sometimes just give up because the more populated states in the east coast have "decided" our fate.   Nothing should be announced until the last state's voting is done, or maybe until more than 50% of their hour's of electing time is complete.    

I think this is silly and paternalistic. News organizations should conceal information they have that is of interest to the country? To protect the feelings of people on the west coast? To make sure they vote in down ticket races? Nah. That's y'alls job to figure out how to get people to care about voting. And if those states really wanted to make sure people were voting pre: results being announced, they could push people to use their early voting procedures. Alaskans: Vote Monday, beat NY. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards