Chit Chat

Thing's that don't make any damn sense

2»

Re: Thing's that don't make any damn sense

• lyndausvi said:
    Re: electoral college. I strongly dislike both Clinton and Trump and I don't wish to vote for either. Because I live in Alaska, a strongly red state with a grand total of two electoral votes where the winner is declared hours before our polls even close (side note, this should not be allowed because there are other significant issues on the ballot besides the presidential race and it just discourages people from going to the polls) I plan to vote for a third-party and I won't affect the race at all. I don't like the electoral college.
    The minimal electoral votes is 3.  2 senators per state and representatives is based on population, with a minimum of 1. So even Alaska gets 3.  I'm from Delaware  - not living there now, but I get it.  We get 3 and we are on the East Coast.  It sucks to be the low man on the totem pole.

Other than that I agree.  I always thought it was BS that the poll results in east coast were announced.  By the time the mountain, pacific, Hawaii and Alaska come around the election is mostly decided. So people out there sometimes just give up because the more populated states in the east coast have "decided" our fate.   Nothing should be announced until the last state's voting is done, or maybe until more than 50% of their hour's of electing time is complete.    

I think this is silly and paternalistic. News organizations should conceal information they have that is of interest to the country? To protect the feelings of people on the west coast? To make sure they vote in down ticket races? Nah. That's y'alls job to figure out how to get people to care about voting. And if those states really wanted to make sure people were voting pre: results being announced, they could push people to use their early voting procedures. Alaskans: Vote Monday, beat NY. 
    Lynda, thanks, I knew that but spaced I guess.

starmoon, I agree with you to a degree. I work on the news media, so I'm certainly not advocating withholding information or requiring news orgs to wait. But I guess I just don't see the point in needing the results so soon. Why is it so important to know now rather than in another hour or two? I get that it's never going to happen.  And I definitely agree we just need better voter awareness, education, and feeling of necessity all over the country and this problem would be solved. 
  • The up to the minute coverage that can be over the top.    The west coast is barely waking up and the national news agencies are already predicting that "x" candidate doesn't need the HI or AK's electoral votes to win.   

I don't know why it can't start a little later at night?  I mean I do understand, everything works on eastern time, but doesn't make it any less annoying.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I don't get why half the people on tiny house shows don't just buy an RV. Particularly the people who want it for the purpose of driving/towing it around.
    I've said it before but I don't get the tiny homes thing at all!  I actually loathe it. I slept on a loft bed in college. That's the closest I ever want to get. 
  • People that wait until the last minute to take their jackets/scarfs/belts off in the security line at the airport and looked shocked they have to take their computers out of a bag. You just waited in a long ass line where there are signs every 10 feet telling you what to do. Like, why are you surprised??
    And why are you surprised that everyone in line behind you is now giving you the death stare?  :D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards