Chit Chat

If you want to try to save money on your wedding...

please don't do this.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/photos-chicago-couple-weds-on-cta-train/1548656/

I would decline.  Not at all wedding appropriate.  There's "unique", and then there's trashy.

Re: If you want to try to save money on your wedding...

• As someone who has relied on public transit in the past and still prefers to use it, I would think this was cute for about 30 seconds.
  • i guess you can rent a car?  That must be new.

https://www.google.com/amp/wgntv.com/2015/02/26/you-can-now-rent-your-very-own-cta-train-car/amp/?client=safari

Still, not my cup of tea (the cta is, not getting married on one)

• How does this work logistically?  I mean in order to reserve a train you have to remove everyone from it and control who gets on all with what, 20 seconds of open doors?
  •  I don't think it's trashy, but as someone who hates my city's public transportation, I would never do it. It looks like they actually rented out the car - they didn't just do it on a regularly scheduled train with randos on it. 

I do doubt that there were enough seats for everyone... In that case, that sucks for everyone who then had to ride around to "see the sights" with the couple and stand for however long that took.
  • Because the CTA isn't exactly the cleanest of places.  Yes, I read it. 

• Because the CTA isn't exactly the cleanest of places.  Yes, I read it. 
    Because it's impossible that maybe someone cleans it before the event?  I mean lots of places are filthy that people use for events and wedding venues.  Stadiums,  movie theaters,  children's museums, science museums,  public parks, charter buses, boats, etc. I have seen my share of urine, vomit, or other questionable liquids at all of those places.
  • oh, I have no doubt they cleaned the one car they rented.  Hey, I'm OK with being in the minority here.  If someone gave me an invite to a wedding on the CTA line, I'm side eyeing the shit out of them, that's all. 

• jacques27 said:
    I fail to see how this is "trashy". Did you even read the article? It clearly states he chartered the train (which if you go to the CTA website starts at $2000 and offers additional services like music, refreshments, etc.) and she clearly loves it because she has a tattoo of a CTA map. As long as their guests are hosted properly, how is this different than renting any other non-traditional  venue?  A charter boat for the water lovers, a stadium for the sports lovers, a movie theater for the movie lovers, etc?  It's not like they jumped the turnstiles and had everyone get on a public train on its normal route to get out of paying for a venue. It might not be your personal preference, but suddenly properly hosting guests (let's assume they did) in a personal and meaningful venue is trashy now? 

This.  As an ex-Chicagoan, I think it's kind of a cool idea.  It's not something that I would choose, personally, but clearly it had a lot of meaning for them.  If someone invited me to a CTA wedding, I would happily go.   
  • I have a "friend" (someone I went to HS with and we're FB friends, nothing really more than that) who got married on the Staten Island Ferry and traveled to their reception by subway afterwards. I had two thoughts, the first of which was "That's so them and perfect and NYC" and then "Ugh if I was a regular commuter I would hate them so hard".

I would love to be invited to a wedding like that, but I don't think you can rent a subway car like they could rent the CTA car, sadly. I would never have considered it for myself but I could see myself having a NYC subway wedding if it was like Chicago and I could go back in time and have a re-do.
  • I actually think it's cute, theyre clearly into it, and if you have a lot of OOT guests you can see a lot of the city that way. 
  • As long as guests are properly hosted, I'm on board (pun intended) with an outside-the-box venue, especially if it's meaningful to the couple. 

I do understand where you're coming from @CharmedPam as far as not personally adoring a public transportation wedding.  I once saw a woman going down on a man on the E train going from Manhattan to Queens (NYC subway).  Yuck.  Unless they were taking "first comes love, then comes marriage" literally.  :s
  • eileenrob said:
    As long as guests are properly hosted, I'm on board (pun intended) with an outside-the-box venue, especially if it's meaningful to the couple. 

I do understand where you're coming from @CharmedPam as far as not personally adoring a public transportation wedding.  I once saw a woman going down on a man on the E train going from Manhattan to Queens (NYC subway).  Yuck.  Unless they were taking "first comes love, then comes marriage" literally.  :s
    Yeah, having spent a lot of time on the NYC subway and having seen some of the behavior I saw on there...I wouldn't want to get married in one of those subway cars! *shudders*
  • MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2016
    eileenrob said:
    As long as guests are properly hosted, I'm on board (pun intended) with an outside-the-box venue, especially if it's meaningful to the couple. 

Oh yes I've seen some messed up stuff on the subway. A homeless man jerking himself off, some standing dude casually urinating on himself, a lady screaming at herself then dancing on the poles. And a whole lifetime of wonderful subway memories, but it has a charm.
    Anyway this couple did exactly that 2 years ago lol? Which is actually obnoxious but I guess would've been interesting to see if I wasn't in a hurry: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/couple-married-n-train-article-1.2027347

From the article:“Everyone, hi. I have an announcement to make,” the groom said to the other riders. “I am going to be getting married in 20 minutes.” He invited everyone to stay, but asked if they would move to the back of the car, which they willingly did.

Yeah no..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I do actually think it's cute - provided everyone was well-hosted.

However personally, given the things H & I have seen happen on the T here in Boston, I could not would not on a train.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards