Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

I went to a wedding this weekend that was an etiquette nightmare from people I thought knew better.

edited September 2016 in Wedding Etiquette Forum

I've posted previously about my cousin's wedding and it was this past weekend. We're not close but going by previous parties that side of the family has thrown we were excited to see what they had planned. And we were incredibly disappointed, they very obviously put their vision before their guest's comfort and it showed.

First, I never got an invite to the bridal shower, I only knew I was invited when my aunt asked my mom if I was going. Never got a thank you for my gift despite knowing they had my address because I did get the invitation (after almost having myself and my husband included on my parent's invite for some bizarre reason).

It was a whole weekend thing but the cheapest hotels started at ~$250/night with a two night minimum, so despite all the grandma guilt we didn't go to the Welcome drinks or farewell brunch. It was “black tie optional”, of course. The venue was ~3 hours from where just about every guest and family member lives, no one could explain why the couple chose the venue. 

We got there a half hour before the ceremony start time on the invitation and were the first people there. A few others arrived about a quarter two and at the start time we were yelled at to go be seated. We sat wherever we felt like because no one actually told us if there were sides or if seats were reserved. The family in front of us got yelled at by staff because they sat in reserved seats, despite them not being marked in any way and no ushers. Half an hour after the start time the rabbi gave us a whole speech about how the couple wants us to be “present” and no phones would be allowed. She repeated the word “present” a few times and I rolled my eyes for everyone of you reading this :) We sat outside, in the cold mountain air, for 45 minutes before the processional started.

Ceremony ended, cocktail hour started with a bar that was terribly stocked. That's not a real complaint, but my husband ran through ~4 simple drinks with the bartender (being told “no!” everytime he asked for a different mixer, they told him no orange juice only to pull it out for the bridesmaid behind us in line) before finally settling on a rum and coke. It was getting dark, which meant it was getting colder. Like I said, mountains. Women were wearing their dates jackets and shivering, the staff lit a bonfire and then just wandered away while guests were left to tend to it. It died out and people were picking up random sticks to push it around. Dinner was in a tent outside, no flaps and no heaters. It was freezing. Our table was missing 2 place settings and when they were added you could tell they weren't supposed to be there, one ended up outside the tent and the other ended up back to back with another person. They started serving dinner and it was family style, which was fine for the salad but the rest of the food not so much. The band was playing and everyone was dancing while the servers were dropping off the food and then bolting, so the food sat at the tables for ~20 minutes before the band told people the next course was ready. So literally every course was cold, even if it wasn't intended to be. And the food was very specifically one type, so even if the food was hot a lot of people weren't wanting most of it because it wasn't very family friends. Spicy seafood and grits, dumplings that tasted like soggy bread, you could see where they were going with the theme but it didn't work at all.

My dad and my uncle both had their names misspelled on their place cards , too. Both very easy to spell names that can only be spelled one way. Both related to the bride by blood, so there's no excuse for that. The couple visited a handful of tables and that was it. No table visits, no receiving line, I literally did not say a single word to the couple the entire night because they were so focused on their immediate families and friends.

We got McDonald's on our way home because we were so hungry.

This is a warning to everyone who thinks their vision is more important than theirs guests comfort, they will notice and they will understand just how little you think of them. When people tell you to think about how your guests would feel I understand why you'd get defensive, but it's in your best interest to treat your guests with respect and not have them sit in a cold tent eating cold chicken and ignoring them.

Re: I went to a wedding this weekend that was an etiquette nightmare from people I thought knew better.

• Options
    Sorry to hear you had to attend such a shitshow.
  • Options
    That sounds dreadful.  I can't decide if the 6 hours of driving, wait for the ceremony, cold inadequate food or VIP-treatment for only some guests irks me most.  Sorry you had to deal with this.  :(
  • Options
    Holy Toledo. I'm speechless.
  • Options
    Booo! Cold people and cold food are no good.
  • Options
    I guess what I wonder is wast he bride placated by her immediate family??

Because in a lot of families I know, that won't fly.   It would come out even in passive aggressive ways, "Yeah Janice we loved everything so much I needed McDonalds right after the reception."

Or, "Really?   Did you think I had a good time?   You didn't actually talk to me to ask."

I know it's rude to point out rudeness but it's also dumb to be a doormat. 
  • Options
    That sounds horrendous! I'm sorry you had to suffer through that nonsense!
  • Options

The only thing than me being cold, is me being cold with nothing but cold food...at least a warm drink/meal would have helped...but nope!  It sounds like this was a train wreck.

As an aside can I tell you how much I hate when you dance, then eat, dance, then eat, dance, then eat...super annoying.  I want to sit down and eat all the courses at once, then get up a dance (or in this case LEAVE!) as soon as possible!

• Options

The only thing than me being cold, is me being cold with nothing but cold food...at least a warm drink/meal would have helped...but nope!  It sounds like this was a train wreck.

As an aside can I tell you how much I hate when you dance, then eat, dance, then eat, dance, then eat...super annoying.  I want to sit down and eat all the courses at once, then get up a dance (or in this case LEAVE!) as soon as possible!

My DH's family does this and I actually do not mind it.   Their cocktail hours are obnoxiously large, so it's nice to work off some of cocktail hour food before dinner.

They however do it properly with food being served at the correct temperature. 

The venue is also aware of the timeframe.    A wedding earlier in the month did NOT tell the kitchen staff about the dancing before dinner.   DH was going off the BEO and fired the food when they guests sat down.  He had no idea they were going to invite all the guests to dance for some 40 minutes.  

Luckily he was able to keep the food at a good quality.   Other times he isn't so lucky when timelines go way over what was projected.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    This does sound like a shitshow, but why why didn't anyone bring coats if the ceremony and reception was in the mountains?  Didn't anyone look at the weather prior to attending to see it was going to be chilly?  You you all didn't know everything was going to be outside?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    This does sound like a shitshow, but why why didn't anyone bring coats if the ceremony and reception was in the mountains?  Didn't anyone look at the weather prior to attending to see it was going to be chilly?  You you all didn't know everything was going to be outside?
    We did, but most people were shuttled up (from half an hour away) and seemed to forget that they couldn't just run back to their room/car to grab their coat. My mom texted me the morning of saying "I checked the weather, it's gonna be cold, bring your coat" and I'm grateful she did because it's been unseasonably warm for September and I wouldn't have thought to check.

I was a bit warmer in my coat but I was one of the lucky ones.
  • Options
    I've always wondered that myself.   Even with a shuttle no one thinks that they might need a jacket getting from point A to point B?  

Then I remember that weather is a big part of my life.  I worked on a sailboat for 14 years.  I needed to know the weather and was always checking.

I now live in the mountains.  I will wake up to 32 degree weather, by noon it's 72 and just after sundown  it's down to the 50's.  I hike a lot, so paying attention to the weather is important.  

I travel a lot and always check out the weather reports to make sure I bring the correct clothing.  

It's often  mind blowing to me people do not do the same, but then again I might be the odd one.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:
    I've always wondered that myself.   Even with a shuttle no one thinks that they might need a jacket getting from point A to point B?  

Then I remember that weather is a big part of my life.  I worked on a sailboat for 14 years.  I needed to know the weather and was always checking.

I now live in the mountains.  I will wake up to 32 degree weather, by noon it's 72 and just after sundown  it's down to the 50's.  I hike a lot, so paying attention to the weather is important.  

I travel a lot and always check out the weather reports to make sure I bring the correct clothing.  

It's often  mind blowing to me people do not do the same, but then again I might be the odd one.
    I ALWAYS check the weather. I even have an app that pops up so I can see it every time I check my phone! 

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

I ALWAYS check the weather. I even have an app that pops up so I can see it every time I check my phone! 
    I'm all about the weather when I know what I'm planning to do.   Heading for an all day walk through the corn maze?   Going to bar hop for a bachelorette?   Yeah, need to weather plan.

But when I'm headed to a wedding I have foolishly thought that the couple are making plans for the cold / heat.   At this point I haven't been disappointed so I can understand why someone would think that if you arranged  for transportation surely you sprung for the cost of a heater.

Luckily the next wedding I'm going to is taking place inside a church that I've been to so I know it will be warm enough and it's our old reception venue.   If I need to bundle up, I'm putting on a Yankee sweatshirt and taunting the Red Sox fan bride. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    lyndausvi said:

I'm all about the weather when I know what I'm planning to do.   Heading for an all day walk through the corn maze?   Going to bar hop for a bachelorette?   Yeah, need to weather plan.

But when I'm headed to a wedding I have foolishly thought that the couple are making plans for the cold / heat.   At this point I haven't been disappointed so I can understand why someone would think that if you arranged  for transportation surely you sprung for the cost of a heater.

Luckily the next wedding I'm going to is taking place inside a church that I've been to so I know it will be warm enough and it's our old reception venue.   If I need to bundle up, I'm putting on a Yankee sweatshirt and taunting the Red Sox fan bride. 
    Obviously you need a heater for a tent.  They were stupid for not having some.  

I'm more talking about going from the car to the tent/building.    I never assume a car can pull right up to an entrance.  I figure there is a little bit of walk from a parking lot.    

I've also attended enough weddings where you have to walk from one area to another and it's not like walking through a hamster cage with tubes protecting me from the elements.

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    banana468 said:
    lyndausvi said:

I'm more talking about going from the car to the tent/building.    I never assume a car can pull right up to an entrance.  I figure there is a little bit of walk from a parking lot.    

I've also attended enough weddings where you have to walk from one area to another and it's not like walking through a hamster cage with tubes protecting me from the elements.

Yeah, if I think it's going to be awful enough you are right.    I do have limited sympathy for my non jacket wearing family and friends who complain about having to walk in the rain.  
  • Options
    Hah! I just saw on Facebook a friend comment on someone's status. Status said "PSA: wedding ceremony is outdoors so don't forget a sweater!" Friends comment: "Hope it stops raining in time for you!" 

What the what. So many things wrong with this ::bashes head against desk::
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    you know.. I was suppose to get married on a beach in NJ.  We had tropical storm hit instead.  We had the tent (with sides), a/c, fans. etc.   If someone said don't forget your rain gear I would have liked their post.   Getting from the parking lot to our tent would have required people to need rain gear.   NDB, I can't control the weather.  I expect adults to look at the weather and prepare to get to the venue.  After that it's my responsibility.

• Options
    MandyMost said:
    lyndausvi said:
    banana468 said:
    lyndausvi said:

A lot of times people just expect to be a bit cold when walking from the car into the building. If I'm going to an event and it's cold out, I assume that the temperature will be reasonable once I'm AT the event, even if I'm cold rushing into the building from the car. 

I went to a wedding last November where it was probably 40 degrees outside. The majority of people had just a wrap, or a light jacket that went with their cocktail attire, or nothing at all for warmth. It wasn't so cold that you couldn't handle making in into the building from your car. But the couple chose to hold their ceremony outside. The poor bridesmaids, in strapless dresses, looked freezing. One was visibly uncontrollably shivering. The guests were all NOT happy. 
    That's why I do think you walk a fine line.

The upcoming November wedding I'm attending is in a church (heated) and then a heated reception venue.   I'm not going to go without some kind of wrap but I do expect that when walking from the car to the door and back I'm probably going to be cold.   If it rains, I'll need an umbrella or a coat.

I expect that the church will be warm enough that I'm not uncomfortable and I expect the reception venue to also be temperature controlled.

I don't expect that in the event that it rains, DH should be able to drop me off right by the door so that I don't get a drop of moisture on my clothing.   That's unreasonable.  
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    MandyMost said:

A lot of times people just expect to be a bit cold when walking from the car into the building.  
    If I'm going to an event and it's cold out, I assume that the temperature will be reasonable once I'm AT the event, even if I'm cold rushing into the building from the car. 

I went to a wedding last November where it was probably 40 degrees outside. The majority of people had just a wrap, or a light jacket that went with their cocktail attire, or nothing at all for warmth. It wasn't so cold that you couldn't handle making in into the building from your car. But the couple chose to hold their ceremony outside. The poor bridesmaids, in strapless dresses, looked freezing. One was visibly uncontrollably shivering. The guests were all NOT happy. 

The upcoming November wedding I'm attending is in a church (heated) and then a heated reception venue.   I'm not going to go without some kind of wrap but I do expect that when walking from the car to the door and back I'm probably going to be cold.   If it rains, I'll need an umbrella or a coat.

I expect that the church will be warm enough that I'm not uncomfortable and I expect the reception venue to also be temperature controlled.

I don't expect that in the event that it rains, DH should be able to drop me off right by the door so that I don't get a drop of moisture on my clothing.   That's unreasonable.  
    That's why you wear your coat into the building. . . so you're not cold going from your car into the venue.  Why wouldn't you wear your coat into the building? 

Most reception venues have a coat check or some other place to hang your coat, and if not there's always the back of your chair.  I'd rather do that than be cold.

Same thing with the church- if it's cold enough outside to require a coat, then I'm wearing it into the church and I'll just sit on it in the pew.  A lot of churches out here are big, old, stone buildings with crappy heating.

I'm always cold so I never expect any place- church, restaurant, ballroom, to be comfortable enough for me, so I always bring a sweater, wrap, and/or my coat with me.

If I was a BM in that November wedding I would have been uber pissed ><

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    banana468 said:
    MandyMost said:

A lot of times people just expect to be a bit cold when walking from the car into the building.  
    If I'm going to an event and it's cold out, I assume that the temperature will be reasonable once I'm AT the event, even if I'm cold rushing into the building from the car. 

That's why you wear your coat into the building. . . so you're not cold going from your car into the venue.  Why wouldn't you wear your coat into the building? 

Most reception venues have a coat check or some other place to hang your coat, and if not there's always the back of your chair.  I'd rather do that than be cold.

Same thing with the church- if it's cold enough outside to require a coat, then I'm wearing it into the church and I'll just sit on it in the pew.  A lot of churches out here are big, old, stone buildings with crappy heating.

I'm always cold so I never expect any place- church, restaurant, ballroom, to be comfortable enough for me, so I always bring a sweater, wrap, and/or my coat with me.

I agree.   It's a tangent I took that I know that there are people out there who just opt for a 'coat stays in car for emergencies approach' and they're also the same ones who don't want to walk in the elements.    

• Options
    banana468 said:
    MandyMost said:

I'd rather be a little cold for a 2-minute walk from the car than to wear a raggedy old coat over my pretty dress. The colder it gets, the less i care about looks and the more likely I am to wear a full-on parka over an evening gown. Most people I know don't have a variety of formal outerwear for every temperature, and are faced with similar choices.

And in a perfect world of course there is a free coatcheck with no line, but I've rarely encountered that. Often you end up having to hold your coat in your lap at the ceremony (because the space is full, or its individual chairs instead of pews, and you can't hang something on the back of your chair if there's a row right behind you!). And then carry it around during cocktail hour before you get to your table at the reception where you HOPE the chairs are such that the coat won't constantly slide onto the floor, with enough space between them that everyone walking around has to squeeze between coats.

Having a coat at a formal event has almost always been a pain in the ass in my experience. That's why I end up choosing the inconvenience--2 minutes of cold walking from the car vs. hours of lugging the coat around with me. Unless it's bitterly below freezing out, I'm often leaving the coat in the car and being a bit cold for 2 minutes. That's why it's a major issue when the host decides everyone should be dressed for the elements without warning anyone. 
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    MandyMost said:
    banana468 said:
    MandyMost said:

I'd rather be a little cold for a 2-minute walk from the car than to wear a raggedy old coat over my pretty dress. The colder it gets, the less i care about looks and the more likely I am to wear a full-on parka over an evening gown. Most people I know don't have a variety of formal outerwear for every temperature, and are faced with similar choices.

And in a perfect world of course there is a free coatcheck with no line, but I've rarely encountered that. It's a wedding, not a NY Giants home game. . . the line isn't going to be that long, lol.  Often you end up having to hold your coat in your lap at the ceremony (because the space is full, or its individual chairs instead of pews, and you can't hang something on the back of your chair if there's a row right behind you!). So then you sit on your coat in the chair. . . you slide it off behind you once you're seated and you sit on it, KWIM?  And then carry it around during cocktail hour before you get to your table at the reception where you HOPE the chairs are such that the coat won't constantly slide onto the floor, with enough space between them that everyone walking around has to squeeze between coats.

Having a coat at a formal event has almost always been a pain in the ass in my experience. That's why I end up choosing the inconvenience--2 minutes of cold walking from the car vs. hours of lugging the coat around with me. Unless it's bitterly below freezing out, I'm often leaving the coat in the car and being a bit cold for 2 minutes. That's why it's a major issue when the host decides everyone should be dressed for the elements without warning anyone. 
    I'd rather be warm than worry about what I look like, honestly.

I have two nicer coats for formal occasions, or I might borrow my mum's fur if it's a really fancy event, and then I have the down maxi coats I commute to and from work in.

If it's cold enough for the down maxi coats, it's far too cold for me to give any fucks about how I look walking to and from a car, and far too cold to risk freezing my ass off in an old drafty church ;-)

• Options
    Why would you ever assume a church is going to be warm? The old ones are all cold drafty stone! Sure, with heat, but still. Wear a coat if it's cold out. 
  • Options
    Why would you ever assume a church is going to be warm? The old ones are all cold drafty stone! Sure, with heat, but still. Wear a coat if it's cold out. 
    If I've been in the church before I'll know what to expect.   You can't in all.  

Friends were married 10 years ago on an 18 degree day.   The old chapel was so cold my feet got cold.  
  • Options
    MandyMost said:

A lot of times people just expect to be a bit cold when walking from the car into the building. If I'm going to an event and it's cold out, I assume that the temperature will be reasonable once I'm AT the event, even if I'm cold rushing into the building from the car. 

This happened to my son and his FI last fall. There was a back up place for the outdoor ceremony, but the couple decided to go ahead with the outdoor area instead. Because you know, vision above guests' comfort.
  • Options
    Add me to the "coat in the car" list.  Dealing with a coat at a fancy event is a major pain in the ass.  It's not like it's impossible to cope with, but I would vastly prefer to be chilly for a couple of moments while I hustle inside than have to drag my coat around with me through the whole event.  I am of the belief that trying to juggle a drink and apps with a coat over your arm is a special circle of hell.  And then my cute/dressy coats are all long, so even when I have a chair to drape it over it is still all over the floor and getting run over by the chair legs and such.  I live in MN;it gets cold here, but I almost never actually wear the coat in with me unless I anticipate being outside for more than a few minutes.

That said, I wouldn't have a problem with an autumn outdoor ceremony as long as the guests were aware that sweaters or light jackets would be appropriate. But a big fat NO to a ceremony in the rain or snow, and a big fat NO to eating outside when the ambient temperature is either too cold or too hot for the average person to be comfortable. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards