Wedding Woes
Options

Bright and early Friday

Happy Friday....I am up early because our furnace isn't blowing warm air so it's too cold to fall back asleep. Fingers crossed its something simple like the filter or pilot light. 

This weekend I finally get to go to my first Lions game, woot woot!  Aside from that, I'm working a 1920's fundraising gala tomorrow at our venue and working on invitations since those need to get out next week. Shits getting real. 

On the Donald Trump tip; thank you Michelle Obama for speaking what was in my heart so eloquently!  ICYMI:  "I can't stop thinking about this," she said. "It has shaken me to my core in a way I could not have predicted."

Did you see Starbucks has an IPA coffee drink now?  Coffee run later!  

Re: Bright and early Friday

• Options
    Laughing and crying (even at the same time) is perfectly acceptable today @AtomicBlonde. Good luck on your last day, it's definitely hard and emotional. 

@kimmiinthemitten that is exactly how I felt listening to her speech. That she said everything I was feeling about Trump and his supporters this week. Also have a great time at the Lions game!

H is going out of town to his hunting camp this weekend so I'm on my own, well I have the dog and cat, which makes it better. I'm still not used to stay in the house by myself (lame, I know). But it's old and makes old home noises. There's a 90% chance I sleep with the light on, or let the dog in the bedroom. 
  • Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2016

Today is my last day in the office.  It is my last day of taking the train in to work every morning, and (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE) my last day of getting up at 4AM for work.

OMG.  I thought 5:45 was bad. 

On the Donald Trump tip; thank you Michelle Obama for speaking what was in my heart so eloquently!  ICYMI:  "I can't stop thinking about this," she said. "It has shaken me to my core in a way I could not have predicted."

I think I've posted that one of the women in customer service here is pro-Trump.  In the beginning it was just head-shake-worthy.  In general I like her, and she does a good job, and seems like an overall decent person.  But it's like the worse Trump does, the more rabid she becomes.  I overheard her defending him a few minutes ago, and it made me angry.  This isn't a disagreement about tax policy or the role of government, this is a guy who mistreated women sexually for years because he was powerful and could get away with it.  I just don't understand how anyone can support that.  As far as I'm concerned, Hillary was dead-on with her "basket of deplorables."  If you read, watch, or listen to these 12 women's accounts of what he has done and you still think he should be president, then yeah, I think your choices are deplorable.  Enough on that, though. 

It's almost the weekend!

Image result for peanuts dance gif

Wooz has two parties tomorrow, so I guess I'm going shopping at lunch.  (Unless I give in to the Amazon same-day temptation.  Which is very tempting right now.)  Sunday is the Great Pumpkin Train, and the kids are excited.  I've been checking the forecast daily because I was afraid of rain and/or cold, but now they've bumped the high up to 78.  Which is good, except that kids are encouraged to wear their costumes, and I think mine will get heatstroke if they do.  I may have to give them their Halloween tees a little early and save the costumes for Halloween. 

And s/o Halloween, Been Booed is ramping up again, judging from one of our neighbors' Instagram posts.  So I should probably stock up for that, too.  I love fall, and I love our neighborhood. 

ETA: I ordered everything from Amazon, and it arrives tonight. :)

• Options
    Not much last night. Did groceries and came out under budget. I seriously love when that happens, especially because I need to drop $500 on Saturday.

My uncle is selling us a new washer and slightly used dryer for $600 total, but I have to give him at least $500 this week when we pick them up.

So my plan for tomorrow is to make crockpot soup {cheese tortellini - it was on fb so I'm trying it} and do laundry. Thank gawd we're getting the appliances tomorrow, I'm running out of clothes.

Tonight I'm going to belated dinner with my friend. Her bday is a few weeks after mine, but weekend of her actual bday she was in Toronto and I was moving, last weekend was Thanksgiving and so now we're both free lol
    H is having a friend over, but I'm really hoping he'll put the bed frame together still. Since there's supposed drawers underneath the bed, there is currently stuff EVERYWHERE .... *sigh*

Sunday we're going to try and get a bookshelf upstairs, which will be no easy feat ....
  • Options

So my plan for tomorrow is to make crockpot soup {cheese tortellini - it was on fb so I'm trying it} and do laundry. Thank gawd we're getting the appliances tomorrow, I'm running out of clothes.

What kind of cheese tortellini soup?  Just curious, because I have this in the crock pot right now, so it will be waiting for us when we get home from riding this evening:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/slow-cooker-cheesy-butternut-squash-and-tortellini-soup/a906fefc-325a-45b0-a355-4fd17d2b8c85

• Options

Morning, WW! TGIF. Why do short weeks always seems so long?

DH's friend came in town last night, and now I'm feeling bad for the comment about wanting to shave his eyebrows off (for supporting Trump). When he got in town he helped DH move a bunch of furniture, and when they got back to the house he came upstairs and talked to me for a few minutes. He is the ONLY one of DH's friends who makes a point to talk to me when he comes over. The rest of them usually stay in the basement and barely speak even when spoken to. They're so weird.

I still think it's totally deplorable that he supports Trump, FTR. I just probably won't shave his eyebrows off in his sleep.

This weekend is the Tennessee vs. Alabama game, and we are huge rivals. TN is actually having a great season so I'm hoping we have a shot at beating AL for the first time since 2004.

Sunday is the Thanksgiving in October that I'm hosting in lieu of a going away party for DH. We're having ham, sweet potato casserole, mac and cheese, broccoli casserole, and I'm baking a chocolate chip cheesecake. I know it isn't all typical Thanksgiving food, but it's what he wanted so it's what he's getting :)

• Options
    I just made a grocery list for this weekend and I need 48 EGGS. 

O.M.G.

:astonished:

Fuck.
    What are you making???

I have no firm plans for the weekend but if the baby is feeling better we might go to pumpkinville. It's in our botanical gardens and, as the name implies, pumpkin themed. Sunday is Harry Potter festival where a street is being turned into Diagon Alley. A candy shop is being turned into Honeydukes, there will be people selling wands and other HP related things. 
  • Options
    @Heffalump  I'm using this one.
    http://therecipecritic.com/2015/11/slow-cooker-chicken-tortellini-soup/

Although that one you linked sounds good, so I may have to put that on list to try ;)
  • Options

Dude, I'd assume you were stocking up for Devil's night and give you the side-eye :-P

YAY LIONS GAME.  THe kiddo keeps asking to go to one--we will eventually, but, cold and spendy for her age.

We're going to the local corn maze/pumpkin patch tomorrow, if weather holds (cold, but lovely!) and Im about to go grab a few things, before I start some clothes dying, because I have some wrecked stuff that I"m seeing if I can salvage--I need to wash the washer, but I want to dye first, then wash.

And I finished taking in the kiddo's costume yesterday, so the purple haired witch is ready to go; we're making her potion bottles afater school
  • Options

O.M.G.

:astonished:

Fuck.
    Are you doing some hard-core baking? 
  • Options
    Right now I'm having coffee and listening to my new playlist to get psyched for cleaning. The big project is the guest room that I've been meaning to do for weeks, but the porch, dining room/office, kitchen, and bathroom need done too.

I need a virtual kick in the ass.
  • Options
    bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2016
    @DrillSergeantCat , @ourwildkingdom, We are hosting a brunch for 15 (so far) people on Sunday. I plan to do some baking, too.

ETF stupid shit

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Options
    @OurWildKingdom you just reminded me that I should probably spend some time this weekend clearing out the office to turn it into a nursery. 
  • Options
    We're going to a bonfire/cookout tomorrow night and then Sunday is my annual shopping trip with my mom, sister, SIL, niece, aunt and two cousins.  We always have a blast.  I can't wait.
  • Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2016

When I was at Wooz's conference earlier this week, her teacher gave me her writing sample to take home.  (They're working on narrative writing and small moments.)  I looked over the first page, but since we were chatting, I didn't have a chance to read the entire story until now. 

Apparently she sees DH and me in stereotypical mom/dad roles.  In her story about building a snowman, Dad is the fun guy who could reach the snowman's head to put the hat on when she couldn't, but instead lifted her up so she could do it herself.  I'm the one who says that it's too cold and they need to come in. :\ 

I do have a cameo on the last page, where I have hot chocolate waiting for them in the kitchen.  DS does not appear in this story at all; the final illustration is the three of us sitting at the kitchen table with steaming mugs while the finished snowman smiles in at us from outside.

I guess it's better than when I was in second grade and I wrote about pirates taking my little brother away and we never heard from him again.

She was being super sweet with him yesterday, though, so I can't complain.  They've actually both been really kind for the past few days, so I'm expecting them to try to dismember each other once we're trapped on the pumpkin train. 

• Options

Not much new today.  I'm so glad that its Friday!  Tomorrow I get to meet up with a friend who moved back to NJ and I get to meet her daughter for the first time too.  Very excited!

I think I will be ordering the baby's crib and changing table today.  We have about 5 months to go, but I'm getting anxious about having a place for baby to actually sleep!  Even though I know she won't actually sleep there for a few months after her debut.  I'm also loving all the hand me down items I'm getting from people!  Maternity clothes and some other big items from a friend and even my H's co-worker brought in something her grandkid doesn't use anymore.  Keep it coming people!  The less I have to buy the better!

• Options
    FI and I are hoping to go apple picking this weekend!  This will be our third year, and I am really looking forward to it.  In past years some of the apples have gone to waste, but this time around I am fully up and running with canning supplies so I should be able to put everything to use.  It's supposed to be gorgeous this weekend; I love fall in Minnesota!

Also looking forward to meeting a lapsed old friend of FI's on Saturday. Without getting too far into it, FI was kind of a reckless asshole for a little while around the time he turned 21 (long before we met.)  He got a wake up call, pulled his shit together, and the only version of him I have ever known is the high-achieving, trustworthy, grown up person he is now.  Well in that time he alienated some friends that he has now been reconnecting with 10 years down the line.  It has been so cool to witness him and these old friends rediscover each other now that everybody's lives are in such different places!  

As for today: work is pretty quiet, which is welcome.  Tonight we have to do some serious cleaning before Old Friend comes over tomorrow--there is stuff all over from packing pre-trip and unloading post-trip, plus my kitchen is stacked with a billion jars of canned goods that need to go on a new shelving unit in the basement.
  • Options
    Guest room and porch are done! Kitchen is next, then bathroom, finally dining room/office.

Poor FW has the worse job, though. She's going to be carrying everything to the basement, the trash, or the recycling bin. 
  • Options
    @oliveoilsmom I'm jealous of your hand me downs!  We did get a box of baby clothes and a box of maternity clothes from one of H's friends which was really nice but unfortunately it was after I'd already bought a lot of maternity stuff so it is nice extras but could have really been used months before. I'm sure they would be happy to keep passing on their baby clothes but they live in a different state and I'd feel bad if they mail us boxes of stuff every year.
  • Options
    Whoo!!! Multi-tasking at it's finest!

I'm hosting an online party for a friend of a friend, and already got the first purchase :) Host is hoping to get close to $40 off her order so she can get one of the tumblers we sell. Hopeful!
  • Options

Small rant.

Why do people in my office feel like it's ok to bring their kids/grandkids to work when they're on fall break? We currently have 3 kids running the halls playing youtube videos and singing at the top of their lungs. It is making it so hard to concentrate. Boss man is out sick today so there is nobody here (with any authority) to say anything.

• Options
    We are off to Denver.   It's a beautiful fall day.  Blue and sunny skies.  Temps in the mid-60's   It's going to be a nice drive over the pass to Denver.

Suppose to get up in the 80's tomorrow.  Nice hiking weather for me.   

Have a good weekend!   Wish me luck on my rug hunt.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

Small rant.

Why do people in my office feel like it's ok to bring their kids/grandkids to work when they're on fall break? We currently have 3 kids running the halls playing youtube videos and singing at the top of their lungs. It is making it so hard to concentrate. Boss man is out sick today so there is nobody here (with any authority) to say anything.

My boss leaves at 3:30 every day to go get his kids from school. He then brings them here. When they're on break...they're here. I hate it. 
  • Options

Small rant.

My boss leaves at 3:30 every day to go get his kids from school. He then brings them here. When they're on break...they're here. I hate it. 

Oh I can't imagine dealing with that every day! It's so annoying! I mean, I know things happen from time to time and I really wouldn't mind them being here occasionally if they were well behaved. But they aren't. And their moms/grandmas aren't even telling them to stop running or be quiet. Ugh.

• Options
    So my good but cold morning nearly became FI's demise.  I worked from home for the morning, got ready, went to get my birth certificate so I could apply for my passport and it's not where FI put ours together "for safe keeping."  Or anywhere in the office.  Or in the storage room.  Or in the junk drawer.  Or in the mortgage/warranty/product drawer.  Or in his sock drawer with his passport or birth certificate.

After I left the house he says - wait for it - I think it may be under my hats in the closet, don't ask.

• Options
    @thefanciestbeckler @DrillSergeantCat  I think it depends on the office, by my coworker sometimes brings her kids for part of the day {5 & 7} but normally they're here because their sick and the dad picks them up part day or she leaves after doing what's priority. Even when they're here and not sick, rarely they're running around. We also have a small office group.
    H's coworkers bring their older kids when it's a p.d day and they can't WFH

@kimmiinthemitten  What the .... Sounds like murder tonight.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards