Wedding Invitations & Paper

Weekend wedding wording for Save the Dates

Hello! We are getting married 9/30/17 and our location will be about a 6 hour drive for the majority of our guests that attend. My fiance and I are getting ready to go ahead and send out our Save the Dates so everyone has plenty of time to plan but first I need some help :) My mother's best friend is throwing a welcome party for us on the 28th, rehearsal dinner will be on the 29th of course, and then the wedding. Separate invitations will be sent out for these events once it starts getting closer to the wedding but I want to be able to let people know now so that they can book their rooms accordingly. We wanted to put something on the back of our save the date but I am not really sure how I should word it? We also wanted to put accommodation suggestions on there as well. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

Answers

• I'm no wording expert - but question - can you switch the dates of the RD and welcome party? I think it's more reasonable to expect the 12-15 people in the WP to be there on Thursday than the majority of the people invited to your wedding. Many people get to OOT weddings on Friday night, but not many people get there Thursday night. Asking a few people to take an extra day in town for the RD is more reasonable IMO (of course I know the welcome party isn't required, but I think you'll get more attendance that way). That way maybe you can mention the welcome party on the STD in some way and call the WP and tell them about the RD on Thursday. 
  • Why would anyone want to take Thursday off work for a welcome party? Just host a party after the rehearsal dinner or combine the two. 
  • I would use a website to relay all of that information and put a link to that on the STD.  That way people can see what the schedule of events is for the entire weekend and make their plans around what works best for them.
  • I had a wedding with was OOT for 100% of the guests.   Out of 147 people,  I would say about 60-70 were there Thursday night.  That was mostly because we had a golf outing on Friday (about 30 golfers).  We had an informal party that night at the beach house rental.  

We had a combined rehearsal dinner/welcome party on Friday night.  I would say about 110 or so people attended that.    Which was also at the beach house.

We sent out invitations for the golf outing, but everything else was word of mouth and also on our website.   Because we had both parties at the rental and they were open house type events we didn't need RSVPs.

I have attended OOT weddings and got there on the Thursday before the Saturday wedding.   If there were get togethers it was mostly told to us via word of mouth before the invitations went out (if invitations were sent, sometimes it was all verbal).

I've said this often, but we relied on the big mouths of each group to pass on such information.    For example,  my MIL is the know-it-all of DH's side.  Everyone calls her daily.   We just mentioned to her that we were planning on hosting a get together on thursday and friday.  She passed on the information.    In my family it was my mom and aunt who passed on the information.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I would also include this information on a wedding website and include the link on your STD. This allows you to include specific information about each event without overwhelming the STD. You could write something like, "Please see our wedding website at..... for information on the Welcome Party and Rehearsal Dinner".
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards